PDA

View Full Version : Character: Warrior

Jelle
04-23-2004, 08:13 AM
Hi,

This Piece was originally created for Exposť 2, but I just heard that it didn't make it in.
So even though I haven't touched this work for about 4 months, I just thought I'd post it here and see what you think about it...

I made two versions a blue one and a brown one, I wasn't sure which I liked best so I'll post them both..

All 3D was done in Maya and the clouds were painted in Photoshop.

edit: ow and all textures were done in photoshop as well...

The brown version:

http://users.pandora.be/saphire-animations/MysticalWarriorOfDarkness_Brown.jpg

And the Blue version:

http://users.pandora.be/saphire-animations/FinalComposit_007.jpg

Pjanssen
04-23-2004, 01:58 PM
I really like it !
Though I think that the sword is a bit large and heavy......

Jelle
04-23-2004, 02:03 PM
Thanks Pjanssen, the sword was intended to be kind of heavy.
But I guess that's just personal taste :)

1001 JediNights
04-24-2004, 03:22 AM
I love it! excellent work! :thumbsup:

Any story behind this, or just for fun?

Panupat
04-24-2004, 04:16 AM
his proportion looks kinda weird... lighting and texturing are very nice. great mood on the blue version.

johnCruz
04-24-2004, 05:20 AM
Great work I know What it takes!

the HANDS need to show gripping strength! wrinkles discoloring of the skin where fingers and or Sword handle are pressing against oneanother and against the Palm. Play with the Facial

Distortion I don't think he would care if he doesn't look suave while he is Attacking charging or swinging He should look Like a Snarolling Dragon Lion Junkyard Dog Insane Repulsing I will Bite and Savagely Scarf a Hole in your Throught if My Sword Fails.

How ever if he Is Just posing for a Picture and He would rather be in his Propper table Edicacy class. then you nailed it completely! ......except then Brow would Not be so Deformed as compared to the Rest of His Face!

sincerely

johnCruz

No.... I don't care if you can understand My Piss Poor Spelling!

TiSOy
04-24-2004, 06:16 AM
it looks good,,,,,the texturing is awsome,,,,,,But I have a small critics to point out,,,,the hand seems loose while holding the sword,,,,u will specially notice it by just looking at the tumb,,,,,normaly in that kind of heavy sword u would see a good grip like that tumb pressing on to...and u would see that knucles and hand bone kinda sticking out.......:eek:

Goon
04-24-2004, 06:57 AM
god. I'm going to be an ass, cause this is a really cool image, it just isn't perfect yet. As a sidenote I am an amature and cannot create something of this quality yet, so feel free to ignore what anything about my crit which you do not agree with.

1. The elbows: they are rounded off. I have extremely pointy elbows and if my arms were in that position, the left elbow would have strong highlight on it, and the profile of the right would be strong and angular. As it is, your deformations don't seem to be compensating for the loss of volume when the arm rotates. This could be just the angle, so could you post a wire from another angle?

2. You are getting some very strong stretching in the textures on his abdomen, particularly on his left side and right below his left pec. Also some of the anatomy has been lost. I believe that his ribcage should be protruding somewhat from such an extreme pose.

3. The hands look small and weak. This is probably just the distance from the camera forshortening, but nevertheless, they offset his anger with a touch of punyness.

4. I'll leave this to someone else to actually give you a correct opinion on, but I think your composition could be improved. Basically the entire lower half of the image has no focal interest. Except for the belt it is bland for the eye. When I first saw it, before scrolling down, the lower half was cut off, like so:
http://www.rit.edu/~eps8792/pics/MysticalWarriorOfDarkness_Brown2.jpg

and I thought it looked awesome.

But if you wish to keep it as it is, consider moving it down somewhat, so that the image conforms more to the rule of thirds:

http://www.rit.edu/~eps8792/pics/MysticalWarriorOfDarkness_Brown.jpg

But again, you have an excellent work here, and should do what you feel best.

specs44
04-24-2004, 07:30 AM
looks pretty good. do u have a wire u can post? i don't know something looks odd about the porpotions but i could be wrong. what does he look like in a neutral pose?

anyway good work

Jelle
04-24-2004, 08:06 AM
First of all Goon: I agree about the right elbow being a little to round, I guess I just didn't notice it, after working on in it for several weeks
you loose your sense of judgement. You're also wright about the grip of the hands and the stretched texture on the abs (But I was just to tired to fix those...)
About the composition I kinda liked it though it does lack detail in the lower part as you mentioned.

specs44:
here's a wire of the neutral pose
http://users.pandora.be/saphire-animations/CGT/WirePersp.jpg

and here's an early rendered neutral pose. The textures still show some seams, but I allready fixed those (It's just an old render I kept around):
http://users.pandora.be/saphire-animations/CGT/AfroAmerican_MED_035.jpg

KolbyJukes
04-24-2004, 08:06 AM
I agree with all of Goon's points on the proportions/modeling.

Texturing/rendering is quite excellent.

-Kol.

metre
04-24-2004, 09:18 AM
look`s nice, but: worrior anatomy it is incorectly, hand and head are smaller then breast...

PsychoSilence
04-24-2004, 10:03 AM
very nice texturing work on the worrier and sword !

the facial expression is well done.

there seems to be a little distortion in the texture towards the chest but it looks okay to me !

very good job.:applause:

Sheepshooter
04-24-2004, 02:11 PM
its great.... but i think that the lower lip is just to big...
this is very bold to the eye...and this is very bad looking

MarvinPud
04-24-2004, 02:14 PM
That one guys right about the hands. I dont know that their weak but it doesnt look like hes gripping it... its just kinda chillin there.

but its very, VERY good. :thumbsup:

X_Stickman
04-24-2004, 05:46 PM
The only crit i'd have is that he doesn't look.... noble enough for such a sword (the sword looks kingly). It looks like he should be wearing armour and a helmet that matches the sword, or should have just a boring old sword. But that would only matter if you had a storyline to go with the character.

Apart from that, nice model and texturing!

JaMo
04-24-2004, 05:50 PM
great job. :thumbsup:

Jelle
04-25-2004, 07:33 PM
1001 JediNights: Sorry no Story behind it, I actually got the idea of making this piece after playing "Mortal Kombat Deadly Aliance" :)

mmcguire
04-26-2004, 01:55 AM
How did you create the skin shader? It looks very realistic.

Max

Jelle
04-26-2004, 10:56 AM
mmcguire: Thanks, I'm using Maya's standard renderer and my skinshader is actually based on Steven Stahlbergh's skinshading tutorial which is very good.
You can find it here http://www.androidblues.com/index.html

LuWeeWu
04-26-2004, 08:19 PM
The textures are amazing. This is a great image without eny changes But...

-After lookin at the wire frame I have to also agree that the hands need to be beefed up. Specificaly the wrists. If you ran around choping the heads off of men and monsters with a two handed sword then your wrists/forearms would be HUGE.
-the deformations for the pose are good but seem a little off still. The elbow needs to be less rounded as some one already pointed out. His right pec should be pulled/flexed towords his right shoulder. As it is, it looks like like its relaxed and not being used (I hope Im explaining this right). Someone else also suggested that his ribcage should flare out, which I agree with.

Other than that It frickin awsome. One of the best textureing jobs ive seen. Were did you get your skin texture from. 3Dsk perhaps?

Cheers:beer:

D.L.
04-26-2004, 08:33 PM
Great work!
The emotional expression good

I like the blue one:D

Kanga
04-27-2004, 03:30 AM
Hoi Jelle

Heaps of nice detail!

To get the most out of your model the trick is often in the pose. I saw your wire frame and it looks good. There are a couple of general things that can make all the difference.

Although from a logical stand point this stance is fine but ascetically you can help it along a bit.

Stand sideways in front of a full length mirror (or a shop front if you don't have a mirror :) ) rotate your chest a full 90 degrees to face the mirror. Your figure is greatly improved, this is a pose bodybuilders use to pronounce the chest area.

Likewise the bicepts, the one further away seems the biggest messing up the depth of the composition, reverse the rotation so the front bicept is bigger and the one at the back smaller, he would then be thrusting downwards and the logistics would still work.

The hands could be made to look larger only by playing around with figure position and hence perspective.

The face seems flat, dunno why the wire frame looks good, swivel it around a bit and see what happens.

The handle of the sword is probably correct historically but if you beefed it up it might look more evil.

You got some sort of grainy texture going on which works well, try not use it everywhere though, if you vary your textures (rough, smooth) you create a variance of rhythem in your composition that can be very attractive.

Nice work
Greetings Kanga

vincent0731
04-27-2004, 06:31 AM
both good,well done
i think i like the texture pertty much,the texture's feel so real and the skin is nice

Svenart
04-27-2004, 02:35 PM
excellent work. :beer: Like it a lot!

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.