PDA

View Full Version : Dual chip and Geforce 4 question

Dan Wade
07-12-2002, 10:33 PM
Ayup y'all.
Im sure this has been asked before in some form or another, but couldn't find anything in area i was looking for. I am thinking about getting a dual CPU setup (2 x 2.1 amd MP). Ive heard that XSI can use a dual cpu setup....but i was wanting to know how. I know that very few apps out there will even use the second cpu at all except for a few apps like XSI and Lightwave etc. Lightwave only uses the second CPU for rendering.....is XSI the same, or can it use both for moddeling and other functions?
I was also wondering what other apps out there can use a dual setup? I heard something about Photoshop?

I was gonna get the Geforce 4 Ti4600 for my graphics card. A mate spoke only nice things about it....but since its abit of an all-rounder (ie brill for games), will it be beat by something in its price range for a serious 3d card just for CAD/3D apps? Will it be ok for XSI?

Xsi supports a dual monitor setup. I can get 2 decent 19" monitors for the price of a brill 21".
What should i go for? I know 2 would be cool, but unless you need the animation editor open all the time with everything else...isn't 2 abit of an overkill....would a good 21" serfice?

Cheers.
Dan.

Blaze
07-13-2002, 05:24 AM
I'm pretty sure XSI utilizes all of the processors available for modelling, rendering etc...
At my school we have some quad processor comps running xsi and its super fast.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.