PDA

View Full Version : Mesa Verde

PhilWesson
04-22-2004, 03:45 PM
Hey all.
I'm wondering how i should attack this. I want to model something like Mesa verde, but with more green and foliage.
Anyone have any suggestions on how to start?

If you dont know, here's what it looks like.

http://www.neartime.com/ruins/mesa4s.jpg

lwwiz
04-22-2004, 04:25 PM
well a good way to do the voliage is to do it with hyper voxels.

PhilWesson
04-22-2004, 05:26 PM
I think i should have been more clear. I was wondering how i should start trying to model the villiage itself. I could go and model individual buildings, and use point clone, but i want it to be more detailed. I could also start with a subdivided box and extrude and bevel out buildings, but that would suck to texture, and wouldnt have the level of detail i want.

PhilWesson
04-22-2004, 05:33 PM
gah, double post. not trying to self bump, i swear!:blush:

Finkster
04-22-2004, 05:40 PM
If you want detailed models of the village, you'll just have to bite the bullet and model it the hard way.
If I was you I would design 4 or 5 types of buildings, that you will model in detail.
It would probably be best to start of with a simple box to which you would add detail to construct each building. Maybe have a few reusable parts within each building, to save you work.
When you are happy with each building you will copy and paste them around the scene to build up the village. If 4 or 5 types of building don't give enough variety create a few more, or mix and match elements from the buildings you have already designed.

Are you going to construct the rock face and cave also? That could be fun.

PhilWesson
04-22-2004, 07:56 PM
I'm gonna try to. I'm doing this for a webcomic (celshaded) so there has to be a fair amount of detail. As far as making a few versions of buildings, thats a good idea, 'cus i want them to be reuseable for different scenes. However, i'm wondering how i'll get everything to fit and look nice....
http://usparks.about.com/library/photos/mesaverde/cliffpalace4.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.