PDA

View Full Version : Z depth in Shake - how?

Byla
04-22-2004, 03:46 PM
Forgive me, I am total newbee when it comes to shake.

And today I have came uppon a problem - Maya Zdepth in Shake 2.5. I am sure it should and could be done, but so far, I have failed miserably.

There are two nodes for Z depth in shake. Which one should I choose? I tried both, but no sucess. There is 100 % a Z depth information in the file, I can check it both in Shake and Fcheck. Iff file. Maya render.

I have read many posts about this particular subject, but noone suggest plain and simple solution. I remember solving this problem half a year ago with a special plugin node for Shake, which was given to me by my tutor. It worked simple as! But it seems I cant find that beefed up node and I can figure out the solution.

Can anyone suggest straight forward solution for this problem? Please.

arvid
04-22-2004, 09:14 PM
Theres a simple tutorial in the docs covering that, walk through them and see if you can apply the same thing to your images

alexx
04-23-2004, 09:03 AM
there is a small macro on highend3d called "viewMayaZ", which i personally use a lot..
it helps you bring your z-image to a visible range.

i use that one then to use reglar operations, that are not based on Z info anymore but on rgb values, which makes the handling a lot easier..
but be wrned that like that you lose some of the precission of the channel, but i never encountered visible artifacts.

cheers

alexx

Byla
04-23-2004, 09:11 AM
Alex, will try that... thanks a lot.

opacity, same thanks....

fr3drik
03-20-2005, 01:44 PM
I recently wrote a quick tutorial on this. Check it out (http://www.averpil.com/fredrik/index.php?page=tutorials&id=1).

abarman
04-14-2005, 08:01 AM
Hi Fredrik , ur tutorial is really very informative. Thanks.
but one thing i noticed, if i am not wrong, Maya Z-map is not antialiased, how do u solve that problem?

fr3drik
04-14-2005, 08:41 AM
Actually, it shouldn't be antialiased ...but if you want it to be antialiased you can either render your images in x2 size and then resize it down .... or download the zdepth shader off highend3d.com (just apply it as a shader on all objects in your scene and then render) ....or you could go with a really great z-DOF shader from mental ray:
http://homepage.mac.com/bauer/portfolio_shaders/zDepthDOF/zDepthDOF.html

I get the best results with the z-DOF shader for mental ray. It won't really output a Z depth ...but rather a matte for defocus.

CGTalk Moderation
04-14-2005, 08:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.