PDA

View Full Version : Character: HULK

Gianluca
04-22-2004, 11:04 AM
Hi boys and girls

my ultimate artwork for hulk cover.
Software: Cinema 4d xl 8.0 and Adobe Photoshop (texture and color correction). WIP link (http://www.studioideabari.it/gianlucamattia/imagetutor.htm)

http://www.studioideabari.it/gianlucamattia/coverhulk.jpg

http://www.studioideabari.it/gianlucamattia/blaa.jpg

http://www.studioideabari.it/gianlucamattia/hulkvs3.jpg

http://www.studioideabari.it/gianlucamattia/gl.jpg

coo_kie73
04-22-2004, 11:13 AM
Hi, it's very nice! Just a personal opinion : the neck looks a bit too thick for a small head. :)

DAREONER
04-22-2004, 12:17 PM
very good, the face is terrible

Tåke
04-22-2004, 12:24 PM
Realy nice colourplay and feel to it. And the neck looks fine to me.
If anything, I would have layed down more work on the environment, specially the one with the squid.

avalon
04-22-2004, 12:58 PM
:thumbsup:
Good

xsilentpepe
04-22-2004, 01:12 PM
Pretty nice hulk among all those hulk i've seen.
I would say .....he could have more hair...:rolleyes:

Frank Dodd
04-22-2004, 01:15 PM
Great piece of work, I love the texture and colour you have achieved in the skin of your 3D hulk character it looks almost like a 2D illustration. Although the proportions of the character differ from those of the tradition hulk they accentuate his characteristics and work very well.

StephanD
04-22-2004, 01:31 PM
Good personal style you've really transcended the character in a most original fashion.

Perfect stars!

graffb
04-22-2004, 02:32 PM
:bowdown:

very good!

Man
04-22-2004, 07:38 PM
looks really nice

IMO the veins are looking like a plant's roots....it's not like they're under the skin

SkyNet
04-22-2004, 08:07 PM
I agree with man's opinion . The veins on his left arm seem to be outside the skin. I also think the head should be a bit bigger . If you look carefully on the first picture you'll think that the head doesn't belong to this body.

Very nice work though ... nice!:thumbsup:

mushroomgod
04-22-2004, 08:29 PM
very cool and intresting style:thumbsup:

Wolverine123
04-23-2004, 12:43 AM
duno bout you guys but i certainly wouldnt wanna get on the wrong side of him :P

Nice work mate :) .

PaxtonGerrish
04-23-2004, 04:04 AM
ieeeeeee likeit! but the pose with the octopus is very not so much dynamic.. plant that palm hard on that octo head. even hulk couldnt hold back a raging octopuss with his fingertips.

:D

SheepFactory
04-23-2004, 04:15 AM
I like it , the first image has a lot of character.

*plugged

lmc
04-23-2004, 04:20 AM
da work had its characterlistic....nice stype...
nice scene as well....good job.... =)

dagoof
04-23-2004, 04:39 AM
that is some damn fine work.

onlooker
04-23-2004, 04:44 AM
Great Hulk Gianluca
Very stylised. I like the proportions. I agree he needs little more hair. He looks like he's balding, or more like he has thinning hair in the first two shots. it looks a little better (the hair) in the third, but over all I am extremely pleased to have seen it. Good job.

Pete Latrofa
04-23-2004, 06:11 AM
looks awesome. i'd say the head is a bit small for the body in my oppinion. other than that is kicks some serious ace.

kraal
04-23-2004, 06:23 AM
as 3d work it is very good actually great ..... however just as a general observation i think an image like this shows the limitations of 3d media ..... the comic book style is more than just a pose and good color .... the comic book stlye holds expression in each illustration ...... 3d no matter how good or well renders looks like what it is called a model so to me the ' action' poses that you are trying to portray look 'static' but like i said that is a limitation of 3d in general so again i state the images are well .... its just subject matter may be wrong .... if that made any since

AzNightmare
04-23-2004, 06:35 AM
i think the modelling is awesome. the head needs to be bigger though. it looks really messed up proportional wise..

???
04-23-2004, 07:01 AM
Hulk is back ! :applause:

Kwe
04-23-2004, 07:13 AM
Sorry but I don't like it. Maybe I'm spoiled by the awesome movie version of the Hulk, but even if this were a drawing...I don't think I'd like it. That face looks BAD...and not in a good way. He almost looks retarded. He looks TOO much like a monster. He's supposed to be big and intimidating, but his face isn't supposed to be weird looking. The veigns also look funny...maybe because they're too thin/skinny or maybe because they don't look like they're under his skin...but they look weird. The anatomy also has minor things about it that sorta bug me...but mostly it's his head and veigns. Everything else seems fine...

3mm
04-23-2004, 07:28 AM
nice:surprised
but the muscle of the neck isn't in right place

tommywan
04-23-2004, 07:40 AM
great work! I really like the style!
my only critic would be that on the second pic, his right hand looks too relaxed for what he is doig. It hould be showing some tension.

other than that, great work!

Sqwall
04-23-2004, 07:50 AM
Very Nice. It is definetly the hulk i like.

oxyg3n
04-23-2004, 07:55 AM
Great work.

Danko
04-23-2004, 08:34 AM
Good job!
I like the exagerated proportions specially in his hands :thumbsup: There are maybe minor issues with the texture as already comented, but anyway it turns into a great overall! :applause:

Zeruel the 14th
04-23-2004, 09:04 AM
I'm quite fond of the octopus thing...i don't know what it is. But i like it. First pic is best IMO.

LGFX
04-23-2004, 09:14 AM
make the head bigger and ur there :D

Gianluca
04-23-2004, 10:48 AM
thanks all for the comments. they are inspired to hulk designed to Dale Keown:buttrock: . I have tried to make a mix, but above all I have tried to give one my interpretation to this hero of the comic strips, I have intentionally exaggerated the proportions, I wanted to approach the most possible to one illustration in comic strip style.

here a design of Keown, used from me like reference:

http://www.studioideabari.it/gianlucamattia/dalekeown.jpg

thanks gentlemen ;)

paulogm
04-23-2004, 11:05 AM
Very Cool! Dale Keown is groove! :applause:

Slurry
04-23-2004, 11:17 AM
Even with the intentional disproportion of the appendages, I think it would look better with a bigger head, smaller hands, shorter arms (or longer legs). There is a point where it goes beyond stylisation and just looks wrong. I think you have crossed that line.
Could use more overall detail in all aspects of the body if you are attempting to rival the illustration of Keown.
Still though, very impressive technical acheivement despite the aesthetic short-comings.
Good job.

~S

flingster
04-23-2004, 12:37 PM
would love to see an exagerated sketch and toon render of this.

as it is...like the whole extreme version of the hulk...v cool.:beer:

Kain
04-23-2004, 01:07 PM
¡Yeehhaaa!!! :banghead: :applause:

elnady
04-23-2004, 01:11 PM
Amazing work:bounce:

PokeChop
04-23-2004, 01:18 PM
I'm green with envy...

spooky3d
04-23-2004, 01:24 PM
Now thats the Hulk! I love the style. Keep it up.

Anadin
04-23-2004, 01:27 PM
I really like it - fantastic!

fxgogo
04-23-2004, 01:39 PM
Very cool!!

It would be nice to see him move.

Anadin
04-23-2004, 01:54 PM
It would wouldn't it?

;)

3DArtZ
04-23-2004, 02:07 PM
I think it looks pretty good. My critique is that the veins should really be much thicker....
His muscles need more blood pumped to them than those little veins would be capable of delivering.
did you animate anything with him?
Mike Fitz
www.3dartz.com

DAbuel
04-23-2004, 02:35 PM
very stylized and good rendition:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

mimo8
04-23-2004, 03:34 PM
great wip on your homepage

i love the soft, painted feeling and all the particle fx (may they be painted or pyrocluster)

the octopuss allone rocks enough for frontpage

agreenster
04-23-2004, 04:02 PM
I think the head looks just fine.

My only critique comes with the hands. They look too rubbery/non-muscular compared to the source material. His face and chest are in extreme expression, but the hands are kinda loose. When someone is flexing/straining that hard, it should show up in the hands as well.

Other than that, I love the stylization and execution, especially coming from C4D...

Agreenster

ic2xs
04-23-2004, 04:12 PM
I love it, as said by 3DArtz he needs much bigger and many more viens, if you look at professional body builders, its gross how many and how big their veins are, and this dood is about 3 times as big as any of those guys, that is the only thing i would change though. I love the whole character and the design.

slaughters
04-23-2004, 04:42 PM
I like the style of the small headed hulk with the oversized body. I remember seeing a comic book variation of him where the proportions are pretty much like that. I can't remember which issue it was, or where I saw it, but here is a sculpture I found, showing what I am talking about:

http://www.funtocollect.net/images/large/HULKMILESTONES.JPG

sizzlebits
04-23-2004, 05:28 PM
good work. Though his pose is a bit stiff. It lacks a power and an intensity that I tend to expect from the Hulk. The sculpture that was posted by slaughters is a good dynamic pose example.

pixelbot
04-23-2004, 05:46 PM
i love the fact that with all the hulk has to do - like "HULK SMASH" he still takes the time to part his hair. "HULK COMB!"

timt

doomtoo
04-23-2004, 06:27 PM
I agree, the head looks a little to small

mechaboy
04-23-2004, 07:03 PM
The Small head and disproportionate size is great! Reminds me of Arthur Adams a bit! There is such a thing as creative liscense on a topic such as this and I think your 'Hulk' is great!

Keep up the super work!

arek
04-23-2004, 07:24 PM
head should be slightly bigger. but overall it looks great.:thumbsup:

alseides
04-23-2004, 07:25 PM
maybe not desrving of the front page, but it still looks ok. his shorts look a bit strange too, like too thin/about to fall off... lol. and same as everyont else says with the head and neck. it may be ur personal style, but it looks a bit awkward to me.

Skyraider3D
04-23-2004, 07:45 PM
Really great style you got going on there! :thumbsup:

As for crits... the veins are a bit too crips, and the head... well... it's small but it somehow works as it's enhancing the rest of his monstrous body! :) His hands are awesome!

Is that smoke a photograph or a 3D effect? I like it, although I don't quite understand where it comes/came from :D

Ch3
04-23-2004, 08:06 PM
insane! :eek:

Blackarts
04-23-2004, 08:19 PM
nice vibrant color choices, and a nice render, but your anatomy really drags the image down. A little time spent correcting your anatomy issues and this would be a killer peice.

Beastie
04-23-2004, 08:29 PM
Thumbs up on originality, front page for sure. *sarcasm* I think its been a month since the last hulk model I saw. Not bad, the head could use some work, I think the body is great, like the other crits, veins are kinda funky. I think you should see if you can make this something more than all the other hulk copies. Still not bad.

loked
04-23-2004, 10:20 PM
Hey,

Awesome work! My first reaction to a lot of the comments, was come on now, you can definitely see that he's gone for stylised. I love the fact thats its fresh and original. The hulk you see in the movie isn't the only intepretation of the hulk. This is awesome, keep up the good work!

later
loked

mehdianim
04-23-2004, 10:39 PM
Not bad.
The Hip area is a little too small though. When he is standing up it seems his ip bone would just be too flat. where the thigs go right into his abs almost.
And the poses could be a little more dynamic.

Cool model, he doesn't feel too much like a 3d model, I thought it was photoshop work at first. :p

ambas
04-23-2004, 10:45 PM
looks great..

one thing tho..
he looks too much like a monster.. make him look a little more human.

ymbsnakeeye
04-23-2004, 10:56 PM
His proportions are fine, Its the features on his face need to be more defined i believe. The hulk has a big brow, its like he has a damn mountain cliff on his forehead. If you can change his face to look more like the hulk, and like that oither guy said, his veigns need to be thicker, and more hair. Other than that I think the pose just by himself is good. Its a good job, and you put your own spin on him, so do your thing.

decipleofX
04-23-2004, 11:21 PM
No offense nice render and all, but how did this make front page seriously:rolleyes:

gfx-dude
04-23-2004, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by DAREONER
very good, the face is terrible

That is one of the styles that they have done for the hulk. I'm not a big fan of the "snot-like neck muscles" myself. The reproduction of it is good though.

edit:typo

Agony
04-24-2004, 12:01 AM
Seriously i believe his unproportional head makes this hulk even better than it would be if more related to the rest of his body. First thing i noticed (ofcourse) was his small head, and i asked myself actually ; "yeah, why should his head expand after his transformation, it almost makes it look better".
Ok, it could be made just little little bit bigger, or maby reduce the size of his neck muscels. Anyway i think that this unproportional head just adds up and make it look more comic/transformed, thus Better.

Im really impressed and think this model looks waay much better than the one used in the movie. I would really love too see it animated!

Cheers!
:beer:

gfx-dude
04-24-2004, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by decipleofX
No offense nice render and all, but how did this make front page seriously:rolleyes:

How could that be non-offensive? You basically said it was crap without using the word crap.

-KDX-
04-24-2004, 12:54 AM

I'm not gonna claim to be a great animator (yet) but by the looks of your avatar, you have no room to make a comment like this.

GG NO RE.

seriously tho, I love the style on the Hulk-- my only criticisms are on the hair and the smoke...mainly the hair tho. The smoke looks cool but seems out of place..and directionless...and sourceless.

and the hair is not nearly thick enough imho. Aside from that I like the posing and the overall style of it--retains the comic book feel (the overly-musclebound uberness that is) Good stuff.

-KDX-

MedusasHead
04-24-2004, 01:50 AM
I wish I could say something more critical and therefore constructive, but let`s put it simple, this is just DAMN cool!!

Harrad
04-24-2004, 02:15 AM
What the F***!

How can you ay that this isn't GOOD! I love your style! The proportions are just fine. Love the hulk and love your work.

Defo Front page

Mat :surprised

Slurry
04-24-2004, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by -KDX-
I'm not gonna claim to be a great animator (yet) but by the looks of your avatar, you have no room to make a comment like this.
-KDX-

Hmmm...so our avatars determine the worth of our comments now?
Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Just because you don't agree, it is no excuse to make personal attacks.
The topic of person's personal ability vs their opinions have been discussed on this forum before. It is not fair to say that because you don't like their work, it invalidates their right to share an opinion.
Besides, alot of avatar's were't even created by the people they represent.
Take a 5 minute breather and come back and play nice.

~S

DoLeeP
04-24-2004, 04:14 AM

retrovision
04-24-2004, 04:36 AM
Awesome work dude. Even better that it's made using Cinema 4d :)

My only crit would be the hair. It's not thick enough. It has a straw appeal to it. Other than that i love it.

thhchx
04-24-2004, 11:53 AM
That's a good attempt though I personally feel that exaggeration of anatomy doesn't work well in all aspects or all angles. The head is still too small for my liking, even if depicted in comics or sculpture. I would recommend giving the muscles more form.. though..well, creating something stylised does require a certain amount of exploration and analysis. You might want to try those out and compare among themselves and decide which works better.

mage111
04-24-2004, 04:21 PM
good model - some nice renders, i like the addition of the squid, but i honestly think if hes gonna be punching the **** out of the squid he'd be 'palming' the head of it, rather then just lightly setting his hand on there, reminds me somwhat of the original batman series with the bonks and zonks masking the choreographed misses.
anyways gj on the model :-)

decipleofX
04-24-2004, 07:15 PM

KDX

Hey KDX i checked yer web site out *cough* sucks*cough CRappy... My little borther can construct better page lay out then that. And what were you trying to say about animation becasue i realy diditn follow.

decipleofX
04-24-2004, 07:18 PM
And Gianluca i wasnt trying to insult your work im just saying that iv seen some stuff in the critique thread that is mind blowing but never made it to front page. Your render is good but as every one has stated it could use some adjustments here and there yet its on the front page?

decipleofX
04-24-2004, 07:24 PM
ok KDX i just checked your animations.......:surprised im sorry but i dont think you have any concept of kinematic function.

CHROMOSOME
04-24-2004, 08:09 PM
Before this thread becomes something other than a constructive critique, I just wanted to mention a few things I noticed in the image.
I realize that you are trying to capture a stylized rendition of human anatomy. As far as I know when the hulk transforms, his basic anatomy stays the same. He doesn't grow new muscles, the muscles he has are exagerrated.
I personally don't mind the size of the head. It's the surrounding anatomy that bothers me. Just a couple of things.
The tapering of his rib cage to his pelvis. Where are his obliques?
The length of his upper arm is disproportionate to the lower arm and the tapering of the forearm into his wrist is too much. Tendons, flexors and extensors would be larger after his transformation.
There are many more anatomical issues that I see, but it's not important to point them all out. I would suggest trying to understand basic anatomy before trying to stylize it. Understand the basic underlying structures and their functions, then embelish them to your heart's content. I hope this didn't come off too harsh. I tried to do it with as much tact as I could.
I think as a study, this peice stands on it's own. I haven't seen any of your other work, but this looks like an attempt to acheive something visually far beyond anything that you have done before. I personally believe that the drive for artistic growth should be enough validation for a spot on the front page. That's just my opinion. Good luck.

flingster
04-24-2004, 08:56 PM
And Gianluca i wasnt trying to insult your work im just saying that iv seen some stuff in the critique thread that is mind blowing but never made it to front page. Your render is good but as every one has stated it could use some adjustments here and there yet its on the front page?

see:
http://www.cgtalk.com/announcement.php?s=&forumid=30
I Can't Believe This Isn't On The Front Page

:shrug:

gfx-dude
04-24-2004, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by CHROMOSOME
There are many more anatomical issues that I see, but it's not important to point them all out. I would suggest trying to understand basic anatomy before trying to stylize it. Understand the basic underlying structures and their functions, then embelish them to your heart's content. I hope this didn't come off too harsh. I tried to do it with as much tact as I could.

Not harsh but before someone (anyone) really crit's work done on an existing character maybe they should be familiar with the character themselves. This style WAS done with the Hulk. If there are problems with the anatomy they might be in that style defined by the Marvel artist.

makaka
04-24-2004, 09:39 PM
:thumbsup: wow,GREAT JOB boy,my prefer render is the hulk versus creature (octopus meiby) 5 stars dude
:bowdown:

michaeli
04-24-2004, 11:39 PM
Cool! :thumbsup:

shadowkeeper
04-24-2004, 11:56 PM
Is that possible? How can this dumb say that? It doesn't matter if this work deserves or not the frontpage. What matters is the work, the final results that the authors sharing with us to get professional critics so he can clean his work to get better results.

About the Work: I love it! Great modeling work and texturing. Don't know why but... the hair looks strange to me. guess it needs more tweak! That's all dude and hope you do animate him.:buttrock:

DiNKArt
04-25-2004, 12:07 AM
I really like this piece. Not so much because it is a good model and renders but because all the mixed comments its getting. I like how the model isn't the new sterotype of what the hulk looks like. By this I am talking about the hulk from the movie. I think you have done a really good job technoloy. There are some few things here and there if you want to nit-pic but nothing that really needs changing.

Its hard for me to understand why so many "artist" on this site hate this model just because it doesn't fit into there idea of hulk. I thought part of being an artist is experimenting. Why are people basing this artists knowledge of the human anatomy by a extremely stylized model? Why do people think it shouldn't be on the frontpage? By this I meen that you should explain your reasoning. I am glad to see this on the frontpage. It seems like too often we are trying to make photoreal images. I really hope these images inspire others to think outside the box. I encourage everyone to try to take something from this piece. After all how many times can you make a photoreal head or car without going insane.

If I bothered anyone with what I said please send me a private message. I don't want this thread to turn into a debate.

kidcodea
04-25-2004, 09:29 AM
how does this model, pick his nose?

Skyraider3D
04-25-2004, 09:32 AM
LOL! :applause:
O man... bloody messy pictures in my head now! Thanks! :D

Sas.hun
04-25-2004, 10:57 AM
Wooow! :drool:

Very nice work! I like it! :thumbsup:

loked
04-25-2004, 11:20 AM
I really dont agree with people about "the anatomical inaccuracy". Have you guys ever seen Johnny Bravo or even Southpark characters?? It's called stylized and art! I'm sure the artist knows the head is too small and the arms are too big. You should ask him first what he was going for before you comment on whats right or wrong. If he achieved what he intended to, then it's right!!! As far as I remember, he did mention that he was going for stylized. This is art, there are no rules!

later:wavey:
loked

Gianluca
04-26-2004, 01:07 PM
flingster: I would like use the sketch and toon but I have not it ;)

3DArtZ <did you animate anything with him?> No, I did. It is a model for illustration and I'm not animator :( :(

Skyraider3D e mimo8 <(may they be painted or pyrocluster)> painted/photograph

thanks all cgtalk member!

elam
04-26-2004, 04:33 PM
I crush your head!

*pinches hulks head between thumb and forefinger*

primativ
04-26-2004, 06:12 PM
The face and head is far too small.
With a nose and nostrils that puny Hulk would have trouble taking in enough air to support that huge body.
Never been a fan of the puny features style probably the reason I can't stand Rob Leifields work.

gfx-dude
04-26-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by primativ
probably the reason I can't stand Rob Leifields work.

How about the skull trying to escape through the face style he does? :)

Manwich
04-26-2004, 07:48 PM
I think the hands and arms look larger than they should be!

Compared to the body the head does look small!

Quality work though

regards

Manwich

Beastie
04-28-2004, 01:39 AM
I think that all the people who are defending the Hulk model are missing the point of the criticism. Personally I think the small head is fine considering hulk has had about a dozen different renditions done by different artists. But I dont think thats why people are really criticizing it, its the overall composition. The truth is alot of stuff ends up on the front page just because its not an original concept, its just whats "hot" at the moment. Ive posted about this several times in this forum, it always happens. I think what people are trying to get at is that the stuff that ends up on the front page isnt because of the overall aesthetic value but how popular the subject matter is. Some people think that things should be on the front page based on overall composition and not popularity. I think thats a valid argument but really CgTalk can do whatever they want to. I think this argument is even deeper than just this piece. Its further evidence that work in the CG industry often gains merit based on trends and not creativy. A general consenus that determines what we see on the big screen and in games. Bugs LIfe and Antz, Nemo and Sharkhunter as a few horrible examples of this. This is no means a bash on this guys artwork, cuz I have seen this guys art before and have liked his stuff, he has got caught up in a battle of philospohy. Keep workin , i hope the best for you. You just got caught in controversy.

Beastie
04-28-2004, 01:52 AM
And to be fair I should put up MY critique which is as valid as anyone elses but by no means no more important or correct than anyone elses. Just what I think. The hair needs some work, it looks like he did it in photoshop along with the drool and other details on the face after rendering it out. It would be nice to see these detail actually modeled in. To me adding this stuff in after post is an easy way out and takes away from the piece. The smoke looks alittle funny along with some of the viens on his chest.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.