PDA

View Full Version : Another DAMN Hellboy...hehe

Kwe
04-22-2004, 02:32 AM
http://img28.photobucket.com/albums/v83/Geijutsuka/jessekwecom/166dun.jpg
Pencils done by my bro, inks for the front by me, inks for the back by my bro, colors done by me. Comments and Critiques VERY welcome.

XavierG
04-22-2004, 03:30 AM
Mmmm...you got both likenesses VERY well done, congrats! The one thing that kills it for me, is the blurring effect, too much of it and very unnecessary (id much rather appreciate all the detail that was drawn there instead of some cheap effect) Damn nice gun and folds, great work

heiesuke
04-22-2004, 05:44 AM
really good job on this, yes the blurring messes with things a bit.

Phantomstranger
04-22-2004, 07:01 AM
I disagree with the two above. I think the blurring gives it more life and depth than any straight color on it could.

focal length is something overlooked way too much.

LuWeeWu
04-22-2004, 03:28 PM
Im going to have to agree with Phantomstranger. The depth of field effect is great for drawing peoples attention were you want it and in this case Im assuming that its his face.

Cheers:beer:

Kwe
04-22-2004, 10:04 PM
Thanks a lot for the comments guys. I used the blur effect for 2 reasons. 1) Because the photo that I based the illustration on had it and 2) because I love using the blur effect. I think it's a neat effect that isn't used enough in illustrations. But hey...if it doesn't tickle your fancy then oh well. Thanks again for the comments and critiques!

XavierG
04-23-2004, 02:06 AM
its not that i dislike it, its that i see it used too often lately (kinda like the way the sun flare was back in the day) In my view, if the hand was foreshortened more -and was bigger- id put it, but i dont think its necessary for the way the drawing is right now.
but yeah, like you said, at the end of the day is all opinion based

Ninja-Magus
04-23-2004, 06:55 AM
I think this is probably my favorite Hellboy picture I've seen here yet. The arm comming towards us almost seems like a photograph up by his bicep and shoulder, and you blurred out the hand and gun nicely to give a sense of focus and foreshortening.

My only crit is on why the two Hellboys don't really look like each other :shrug:! Great job nonetheless :buttrock:!

Kwe
04-23-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Ninja-Magus
My only crit is on why the two Hellboys don't really look like each other :shrug:! Great job nonetheless :buttrock:!
Well...the picture started off as just one Hellboy. My brother did the pencils and I did the inks AND colors...but we were stumped on what to do for a background...so we just did the first thing that popped up in our minds which was to draw another Hellboy. He decided to pencil AND ink the background Hellboy and make it like the comic (sort of). So we have a movie Hellboy (foreground) and a comic book Hellboy (background).

bretthardin
04-23-2004, 07:54 PM
Nice dramatic lights and darks... Especially love the stylized Hell Boy in the background. It has a unique character look to it.

Regarding the blurring, I think the reason why it looks odd is because it's on a "one plane blur". In other words, as the object gets closer, it should be more blurred. The image now looks like it was done as one post blur and is not progressive getting more blurred as it gets closer.

The blurring should be more subtle and progressive.

Otherwise, great work!

georgh
04-23-2004, 10:49 PM
nice style.........really like the light on his hand with the gun.........

on the blurring issue.......I like it.........no more from me.........good work

Flud's Keeper
05-03-2004, 01:17 AM
love the perspective of the one in the foreground.

good likeness. :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.