PDA

View Full Version : realistic EXPLOSION of an object

mcz
04-22-2004, 12:32 AM
hi guys

i would like to create a very nice looking explosion in max6. i already have my object which is an asteroid and i want to explode it. the main problem that i found, i cannot make asteroid pieces. so i have the object but i cannot cut it into pieces (some random pieces) that the explosion would blow away.

i tried the PArray and the object fragments, but that just the surface of the object. i want to cut the entire volume into pieces, like a piece of stone that breaks apart if you drop it. and than how do you stick the pieces together so before the explosion it looks like a normal object without the cracks on it.

so this is my problem ... anybody has experience with this kind of thing please help me ....

ps: also if you have some realistic idea for the explosion fire ... please write it down.

thx a lot guys

peter

syst3moveride
04-22-2004, 12:36 PM
have you tried using a bomb and changing the size of the pieces so they are more random and realistic

mcz
04-22-2004, 01:50 PM
yes but it still could be better, i was triing to use the reactor fracture system but it requires you to have the object already cut in pieces, and cutting it in realistic pieces, thats what i have the problem with.

zhizhi
04-22-2004, 05:38 PM
:p

coboman
04-30-2004, 11:47 PM
Use the shell modifier.

Haven't tried this myself but I think it would work.

First Cut the surface in chunks. That will give you the hollow shells. To give each of these volume, use the new shell modifier.

The final object will have obvious cracks where it will break. You can correct this by using the original model up to the point where it will break.

Use particle flow to create the rest of the pieces exploding.

Demos on the use of shell modifier, fracture and particle flow for fragmented objects can be found in this link:

video tutorials (http://www4.discreet.com/3dsmax/3dsmax.php?id=399)

hamu73
05-02-2004, 02:13 PM
cool thanks for the tip....
and how do you achieve the firerie explosions effect??

aliciaCunnie
05-05-2004, 10:25 AM
try afterburn, nice explosion effect, smoke, after that i recomend you to use several super spray that you parent to your asteroids pieces and play with some glow

hamu73
05-05-2004, 02:01 PM
well I don't have afterburn and in the demo there is no explosion deamon....so I have to try a max material/shader....well perhaps dust devil and rob's smoke shader ....anyone used it yet and can give me some tips??

mcz
05-06-2004, 12:09 AM
thanks for the lot of good ideas guys....

shell modifier rocks ...

olli96
05-24-2004, 01:17 PM
here is a quick and basic tutorial on how to "fracture" an Object:
download (http://s88779969.onlinehome.us/fracture_vid_final.rar)
Olli

mcz
05-24-2004, 04:54 PM
thanks for the short tutorial ... it was really useful ...

leho
06-05-2004, 11:00 PM
i don't quite get it. maybe i'm stupid or smth but how to i cut the object to chunks? :D shell modifier does that?

edit: yeah got it already

olli96
06-06-2004, 07:41 PM
by the way, here is a second part of that tutorial: Tutorial link (http://www.websamba.com/olli3d/Fracture%20Part%202.rar ).
olli

leho
06-06-2004, 08:22 PM
ok i believe this is THE MOST BORING AND THE MOST SLOWEST tut i've ever seen :D

olli96
06-07-2004, 11:25 AM
yeah its pretty basic, but some ppl couldnt get a smooth look, so this one just shows you how to smooth that thing out. if you can do a better video tutorial of that fracture stuff, please do it i would love to see it, especially how YOU cut the block in small pieces and then smooth them?!
Olli

hamu73
06-07-2004, 12:54 PM
Have you done that fracture tut olli...it's quite nice...keep it up...I want to see more:drool:

olli96
06-07-2004, 01:23 PM
hamu73: at least you liked it and learned something...

yep, i did it. someone at 3dbuzz was asking for a techinique on how to fracture an object, like the one from grad3 (bacardi commercial). i made a few test and this was the best solution i could find for doing things like that. i will record the rest of it this week, if you are intrested, i will pm you with the links.
but keep in mind, i never said it is a professional video tutorial or the best way of doing it. some ppl might find it "boring and slow" some dont...

btw, here is an early test render how it will be looking at the end of part 4: Test Render (http://www.websamba.com/olli3d/render/fracture_test.avi ) . the textures are flickering cause i used very low settings, and before some of you now say, ohh, what a boring scene setup or something, it was just a test and there is still a lot to be tweaked.

Olli

hamu73
06-07-2004, 01:55 PM
olli that is really cool...looking forward to see the rest of your tut...
thanks for doing it

leho
06-07-2004, 02:07 PM
now wait a second there dude. no need to get angry. i was just saying that this tut culd be done a bit faster. the second part i mean. because the dude who does it there, he keeps repeating the same steps over and over again :P

olli96
06-07-2004, 02:41 PM
i am not angry :beer:
you are right in this point, but i did a similar kind of video tutorial before and there ppl got mad because i continued doing the boring stuff (repeating the same procedure again and again, like in this one) off screen. so this time i tried to do everything as fast as i can in the video and not off screen. its all about personal preferences...
Olli

olli96
06-09-2004, 02:06 PM
short and simple: part 3 (http://www.websamba.com/olli3d/Fracture%20Part%203.rar).
it just deals on how to set up the rb collection and fracture helper if you havent done it yet. the pFlow part is coming soon.

btw. part 2 is no more, due webspace issues.
Olli

leho
06-09-2004, 04:09 PM
well yeah i got your point :P i don't knwo much about pflow so i'm waiting your further tuts

Deathcricket
06-11-2004, 12:26 AM
Greetings,

At work ATM but will try the tutorial. Looks pretty easy. Just curious if anyone has tried the reactor settings to achieve a nice explosion. There is a really good example at http://www4.discreet.com/3dsmax/3dsmax.php?id=399 that has an ice cube getting tossed against a wall and shattering into many small pieces. Could this possibly be turned into an explosion with flaming pieces of asteroid instead of ice chunks? Looks the the ice scene is really easy to set up. But then again everything looks easy when the pros do it.

Just a thought, the ice looks spectacular for such a small effort.

cdren99
06-23-2004, 11:48 AM
I think use Particle Flow +Afterburn can do it well.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.