PDA

View Full Version : particle interaction

uncon
04-21-2004, 05:14 PM
Ok, so there are these self interaction and interaction butons in particle FX (using LW 7.5c). Does anyone use them effectively? I can not get them to do anything.

zuzzabuzz
04-21-2004, 05:43 PM
make sure you specify a particle size in the emitter, and that you click FX_Start.
I've never used it...but it looks cool!

zuzzabuzz
04-21-2004, 05:44 PM
wierd! When I do the FX_Start..it looks cool. When I render, the particles move back to where they would be if I hadn't used 'self interaction'. It's like the calculation is not sticking.
------
Scratch that. Had to do FX_Start..then go to the Etc tab of the emitter and "Save Motion". Now it sticks when I render.

Mwai Kasamale
04-21-2004, 06:04 PM
you have to SAVE the cache. FXStart basically caches what you see realtime, but simulates based on the accuracy settings you specify. Sometime what you see in the viewport isn't what the cache will sim, I think its the pro/con of realtime feedback as opposed to calculation time.

One thing I really hate is that unlike sprites or hv opengl displays on particles, one redundant are the T texture buttons on the Particles tab of the FXproperty panel. They seem to have 0:1 effects of particles. Gradients have zero effect. Say particle size, try apply a gradient and you'll notice it has no effect.

uncon
04-21-2004, 06:42 PM
Thanks, you guys are cool.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.