PDA

View Full Version : vehicle: New Beetle

bossanova
04-21-2004, 02:42 PM
I'm a long time viewer of CG talk who has finally registered so he could put his work into the fray. This is a still for my thesis in NYU. I modelled the car using Maya 5 for 2 months. A big thank you to Thomas Suurland for his blueprints and his works which is a constant benchmark for me.

This is my first time modelling something this detailed. I initially used NURBS, building just one half of the car, but I hit a deadend when I came to the part of attaching the mirror NURBS geometry as you can't attach trimmed surfaces and I never was satisfied with the results of the stitch tool. I'm amazed at how other NURBS car modellers got around this and hope you could drop a message on how you did it. Eventually I converted to Polys to do rest of the work to seamlessly combine the mirrored half. Most of the interior was done with polys.

This is rendered in mental ray and as much as I want to show some more angles, my command line renders stops midway as it doesn't have enough memory. I have 1 gig of ram and 5 gigs of virtual memory allocated, but it still conks out even if it's just using 1.2 gigs of 'commit charge' in the task manager window. I don't know what this means but I've been told also I'm doing something wrong as I should be doing something to let mental ray optimize the renders with whatever memory I have. Any helpful advice on optimizing this mental ray render who be appreciated. I had to delete all the parts not seen in the camera's angle to pull of this render.

Since I converted to polys as stated above, the wireframe mesh is unbelievably dense so it's not practical to post the wireframe for you guys.

Anyways...any further requests of other angles will have to wait till around May as I still have yet to finish my thesis. I will try my best, or if I'm able to pull a render overnight, to add requested images.

Ok...enough...i'll just add some more on the next post as this is one is way too long as it is. Thanks for the critiques in advance.

Wolf S
04-21-2004, 06:34 PM
One important thing is missing here :shrug:
at least until now there is no image showing up

bossanova
04-21-2004, 07:36 PM
sorry bout that mate...i didn't know that cgtalk could only allocate 20000 bytes for an attachment. I'm pretty much zero on my web skills and have no webhost for that matter. Any kind soul that could offer me 2 megs worth of their space? email me at: jongsimon@yahoo.com ...

I'd appreciate it big time.

bossanova
04-21-2004, 07:43 PM
finally got my thing to work:

http://homepages.nyu.edu/~moo206/aut_0m8_large.jpg

my webskill improved by 10 fold today. haha.

gimpgutter
04-21-2004, 08:36 PM
well, i see nothing either...

but i was wondering, how is NYU for computer visual arts? I saw a flyer in one of the halls in Rutgers for gettinga graduate degree
at th e school of visual arts and i found it intriguing. Can you possibly give some information and rate teh school?

Thanks and i cant wait to see this pic, i know it will be good.

bossanova
04-21-2004, 09:48 PM
i had a good time with my education in NYU. It is an M.S. course. Being a 2 year graduate course, it's really not enough time to fully absorb Maya. I even took flint and combustion and really wished i had the luxury of taking Shake 3 but my schedule is so full as it is. I know this is not the right thread to talk bout it but I sure wouldl like to hear bout the other schools in NY like SVA or NYIT.

Anyone finally able to see the pics?

bossanova
04-21-2004, 09:55 PM
okay....here's a small res version.

http://homepages.nyu.edu/~moo206/aut_0m8_small.jpg

Bredro1
04-22-2004, 12:44 AM
Pretty good Bossanova...I don`t know much about car modelling but I think your outside body edges need to be extruded back inwards then add a little bit of roundness to the edge.There`s a seam near the rear of the car that I can see straight through the car body.If you extruded back inwards this would get rid of this happening...good luck.
ps...try image shack for hosting your images...very easy to use and they don`t mind hotlinking.

Bredro1

bossanova
04-23-2004, 03:00 AM
whoa...good eye! well that's the result of hiding/deleting the objects that I thought was not in frame. I also noticed I deleted the 'inner roof' that's why the bar where the seatbelt can be found is exposed.Okay more work on that.

I tried to pull off some renders today but it just keeps on crashing due to low memory.

I tried the phong shader for the rims found in highend3d.com but it didn't look right so i ended up tweaking a bit on a blinn shader that is the result you see but is still not satified. I tried lower the diffuse and specular on a test render last night but I'm still not happy with the results. The foglights are a pain as well. It has the same shader as the headlights but they just look so flat.

sabaman
04-23-2004, 09:13 AM
very nice model man, the atmosphere fits with the car and the shot by the way, nice going,...

bossanova
04-28-2004, 04:29 AM
an interior shot. I had to crank the lights from the outside way up just to get enough light in so naturally some parts are blown up.

http://homepages.nyu.edu/~moo206/interior4.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.