PDA

View Full Version : Discreet announces Flint for Linux

beaker
04-21-2004, 04:54 AM
http://www4.discreet.com/company/press.php?id=591

iron
04-21-2004, 07:09 AM
all the discreet stuff started moving to linux :)
I hope smog and inferno will moving also soon to linux

implicit
04-21-2004, 08:44 AM
wooohooo!

version
04-21-2004, 02:31 PM
This is really cool, and I guess it won't be long till we see Flame on Linux, just need to wait till we see SGI performace matching PC's.

iron
04-21-2004, 03:55 PM
if your talking about performance between sgi and pc i mean pc permance already matching the performance of the sgi
the only thinks is to reprogram all the software to pc i think

thomaspecht
04-21-2004, 04:09 PM
depends on what is more important for operation of flame&co: cpu performance or internal bandwidth.
afaik, until now pc bus design isn't a match for sgi's crossbar architecture and that for example is the reason for smoke on linux only being SD while HD requires a tezro.

Ross Forster
04-21-2004, 04:25 PM
/me grins:drool:

iron
04-21-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by GIJoe
depends on what is more important for operation of flame&co: cpu performance or internal bandwidth.
afaik, until now pc bus design isn't a match for sgi's crossbar architecture and that for example is the reason for smoke on linux only being SD while HD requires a tezro.

I just can say that i will have a better performance on a PC with a P4 2.4 ghz and a quadro gfx card with 1.5 gb ddr as a sgi when i working and also the render is much faster too then a sgi
and if u using scsi u can also use scsi on pc platform so there is no mutch diferend between a sgi and a pc

version
04-21-2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by iron
I just can say that i will have a better performance on a PC with a P4 2.4 ghz and a quadro gfx card with 1.5 gb ddr as a sgi when i working and also the render is much faster too then a sgi
and if u using scsi u can also use scsi on pc platform so there is no mutch diferend between a sgi and a pc

Not really though. One of the areas that Discreet are waiting for, is reliable, and fast internal bandwidth in PC components. It's an issue if you want real-time HD I/O. Recent tests of Smoke running on Linux showed it to suffer from this exact proble, the SGI Tezro just blew it away, it even gave the Linux machnie a run for its money in rendering times too.

Like someone else said, bandwidth is key here, and SGI are still leaps n bounds ahead of anyone else. PC manufacturers are catching up, real-time HD is here, but SGI are just that one step ahead.

alphatron
04-21-2004, 05:24 PM
I'd think that AMD's chip design on the Opertron and Athlon FX series, couple with the new Nforce3 250 chipset, would greatly help the bandwidth bottleneck on PC's.

I was really hoping that Discreet would unveil Toxik (strata/mezzo). It looked like a fabulous new peice of software with a fresh architecture. Especially since the Flame, Flint, Inferno cores are so old now. It was also going to run on Linux and Windows, and would not require any specialized hardware (aside form a RAID array).

version
04-21-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by alphatron
I'd think that AMD's chip design on the Opertron and Athlon FX series, couple with the new Nforce3 250 chipset, would greatly help the bandwidth bottleneck on PC's.

I was really hoping that Discreet would unveil Toxik (strata/mezzo). It looked like a fabulous new peice of software with a fresh architecture. Especially since the Flame, Flint, Inferno cores are so old by now. It was also going to run on Linux and Windows, and would not require anyspecialized hardware (aside form a RAID array).

Yup, me too; there was a rumour not long ago about Discreet abandonnig Toxik, but it's still on course to be released at some point I hear.

I think we're seeing SGI type performance right now, especially if you look at Avid's DS systems, and now Apple offering up FCP HD, so the signs are good. Only issie being, that SGI/Discreet have had years of experience in the bandwidth area, and it really does show.

beaker
04-21-2004, 07:02 PM
I was really hoping that Discreet would unveil Toxik (strata/mezzo). It looked like a fabulous new peice of software with a fresh architecture. Especially since the Flame, Flint, Inferno cores are so old now. It was also going to run on Linux and Windows, and would not require any specialized hardware (aside form a RAID array).
Discreet has stated that they have abandoned strata/mezzo. They are just going to feed the features they created for it into current versions of FFI. Also strata/mezzo was only going to be sold as a turnkey based system just like smoke/flint on linux. The starting price on it was going to be somewhere in the range of $100k.

beaker
04-21-2004, 07:05 PM
I guess if your a small company this would be beneficial, but discreet is offering a deal for people who get a Flint on linux to put Smoke SD on it for 20k more.

thomaspecht
04-21-2004, 07:32 PM
just wondering what the differences between combustion and flint are? i've heard that some features of combustion have been more or less taken from flame, thus making it superior to flint in at least some areas.
does not seem to make sense to have two competing products.

version
04-21-2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by beaker
Discreet has stated that they have abandoned strata/mezzo. They are just going to feed the features they created for it into current versions of FFI. Also strata/mezzo was only going to be sold as a turnkey based system just like smoke/flint on linux. The starting price on it was going to be somewhere in the range of $100k.

Not really, it's still on track to be released as a product. There was rumours, but I''m sure we';ll be seenig Toxik.

beaker
04-21-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by GIJoe
just wondering what the differences between combustion and flint are? i've heard that some features of combustion have been more or less taken from flame, thus making it superior to flint in at least some areas.
does not seem to make sense to have two competing products.
Combustion does have FFI features, but they ported really old versions of the inferno/flame keyer and tracker. It's really more of a marketing thing.

version
04-21-2004, 09:18 PM
True, one big difference is in speed, and overall features, when you have a client on your back, it would be anightmare going back and forth between AE and Combustion, etc. A flame box makes a lot of that far eaiser to manage.

alphatron
04-22-2004, 12:05 AM
Beaker, I attended a Discreet event here in Toronto recently, where one of their employees assured me that it was still being developed.

version
04-22-2004, 12:27 AM
Beaker, I attended a Discreet event here in Toronto recently, where one of their employees assured me that it was still being developed.

It definitely is, and it looks really promising so far. The problem with projects that takes years to be realsied, is that rumours, and people start to doubt it, and it doesn't help when Discreet has, sometimes, blown hot and cold over Toxik.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.