PDA

View Full Version : shake writing DIVX?

alexx
07-12-2002, 04:45 PM
hey,

is there a way to get shake to write out DIVX files?
i have the codec installed and any other package allows me to use it, but not shake.

can anyone help?

cheers

alexx

Flinch
07-12-2002, 07:09 PM
atm. there is now way to output an avi-file with any codec.

beaker
07-16-2002, 09:17 AM
Shake uses quicktime for all it's avi codecs. Quicktime doesn't recognize any avi codecs installed on windows.

moovieboy
07-16-2002, 09:40 PM
Plus, now that apple owns Shake, and DIVX has treated the Mac community like crap, I'd say the odds of Shake ever exporting to DIVX are "Nah" and "Nope." :hmm:

-Tom

beaker
07-16-2002, 09:46 PM
>>Plus, now that apple owns Shake, and DIVX has treated the Mac community like crap, I'd say the odds of Shake ever exporting to DIVX are "Nah" and "Nope."

This has nothing to do why it doesnt work. If shake supported windows media player/directx then it would probably work fine, but it doesn't. On a macintosh where the divx plugin is actually loaded in as a quicktime codec it would work fine under shake. You just need to convince some of the divx guys too make it a quicktime plugin under windows.

BTW, there has been divx players for the mac for the last 2 years, it just wasn't comming out from the divx.com guys till 5.0 came out. It really wasnt that big of a deal.

moovieboy
07-17-2002, 01:37 AM
Okay, deep breath here... :)

Yeah, Beaker, Shake's ability to encode into DIVX on windows is an issue I know zilch about...

But DIVX and the mac? The moment the DIVX folks went "legit" with version 4, it has been an absolute nightmare for Mac users.

First, let me say I'm still in OS 9, but even so, if DIVX "works," I should be able to install their codecs (which have yet to ever get past "alphas") and see ANY DIVX movie, right?

Instead, I have better odds flipping a coin. :annoyed:

As far as encoding a DIVX file from Shake on the mac, it's impossible because these "alphas" are DE-coders only.

I don't want to hear about "validators," "DIVX doctors" or things like "fourcc." A codec is supposed to be "install it, then forget about it," period.

So, unless you know of some secret player out there, Beaker... Cuz I for one would love to actually see all these wonderful DIVX animations you guys are unwittingly putting on your websites.

-Tom

P.S. Sorry this thread is more of a whine on DIVX instead of helping you get a solution, alexx. But keep in mind when you're done making your animation, a lot of artists won't be able to see it...

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.