PDA

View Full Version : Characters: Death Squad

Nigel-Q
04-20-2004, 06:59 PM
Hi Everyone, My first time posting here...

I'm a concept artist working at a games company in Vancouver, B.C. I thought I'd post my most recent work for some comments and critiques. I did this in my spare time to help get my painter skills up to speed, I'm trying to expand my digital painting knowledge beyond photoshop 7.

There wasn't a high concept to begin with or anything, the design was driven by what i thought might be fun to draw/paint... so it may not appeal or make much sense to anyone but me... just a disclaimer, there's some overdone design elements going on.

i posted this on conceptart.org too, for those of you that frequent that board as well, sorry for the visual spam... i work in games and it seems this site has a more games/3d focus so i thought there may be some valuable input to be had.

anyway... here it is

http://www3.telus.net/quarless/stuff/art/riot_final_small.jpg

perfecti
04-20-2004, 09:55 PM
this is amazing work !! i really love it .. characters design is so damn nice !! ..:buttrock: i like your style !! w8 4 more !!:thumbsup:

SIGIL
04-20-2004, 11:02 PM
:buttrock: Well done I like the designs of the characters a lot and the technical aspects of the rendering seem well enough to me , though I admit I have no painter or digital coloring skill to base my opinion on. :shrug:

But hey VERY nice. :bounce:

prasa
04-21-2004, 10:01 AM
super! .. perfect characters, nice colors .. good style .. five stars for you man

:thumbsup:

viag
04-21-2004, 10:32 AM
wow nice carachter design ! the big gun is my favorite , good work !

wesley_e17
04-21-2004, 09:10 PM
Nice really like it great muscle tone and character posture.. your digital paintin skill are great.. look forward to seeing more of you art..

sad
04-22-2004, 12:02 AM
his head seems a bit small but the rest is very nice. i like the clear shapes.

plastictree
04-22-2004, 01:49 AM
WOW :thumbsup:

heiesuke
04-22-2004, 05:40 AM
good job, on the poses, the coloring and the style. Hot!

brkofdon
04-22-2004, 06:52 AM
real strong work here! the only crit i have is the lighting on the girls pants seem off to me, dont know exactly how to explain..maybe if i look at it longer...

Delman
04-22-2004, 04:46 PM
WOW !!!!!

:bowdown: respect

Ninja-Magus
04-23-2004, 07:00 AM
That's one badass gun :D!! I envy the legs and boots, I'm having a tough time w/them right now. Good job on the designs, except for the male's 10-pack stomach :rolleyes:! Just a few anatomical issues on him, and the picture is beautiful :)

Nigel-Q
04-23-2004, 05:55 PM
Hey thanks for the kind words eveyone, I really appreciate your comments... I'll try and post some more.:)

arek
04-23-2004, 06:13 PM
hype :beer:

georgh
04-23-2004, 10:54 PM
thumbs up............very nice work

Nigel-Q
04-24-2004, 12:01 AM
Hey thanks Juju,
This may sound weird, but i see you're from Iceland and are obviously an artist...I know many of the artists in reykjyavik know one another.
Do you know Jon Pall Holdersson, who owns JP tattoo and works on the show "lazy town"? He went to animation school here in vancouver with me and is a good freind of mine. Just curious.

georgh
04-24-2004, 10:52 AM
hi again.............sure I know him, heīs done 3 tattoos on me :)

Last time i saw him was on 3 day Kyle Balda animation study, which was good fun........ but thatīs about it, dont really know him on a personal level , he just used to drill my skin with ink when I was younger......and hes damn good at that......

he recently put up a webpage on his art.....was looking for it........cant find it at the moment :(

dedos
04-24-2004, 09:26 PM
Hi nigel, I'm also from vancouver doing concept art for a games company.
i was hoping you or anyone on this board could tell me how to post up images,I'm having the hardest time doing that. and I get no respose from support.

It keeps telling me that my image is too large but 20000 bytes seems a bit too small.
How do you do it?

By the way your art is hot!

Goodluck to you.

Dedos

Nigel-Q
04-27-2004, 02:58 AM
hey,

the only way i know of posting images is to have them hosted online (there's some free image hosting available online if you need it) and to then put the full url for the image into img tags in your message. so that somewhere in the message you see this (full image url).

that should work, hope it helps.

Zycho
04-27-2004, 04:12 PM
Very nice work! Other than the small head on the male character, end the "8-10 pack", her right knee seems a bit dislocated or twisted. Her foot angles out, but to me the knees looks angeled straight forward...??
But as i said, nice work!!

ueberbobo
04-27-2004, 05:25 PM
dont really like the shading/color of the girls helmet, thats about it for critiques. great stuff

shehrevar
04-27-2004, 08:28 PM
...so fresh and so clean - clean!
nice style!

Ranc0r
04-28-2004, 05:27 AM
that smoke grenade is very very nice. I also like the girls outfit and that gun/backpack is just plain sweet.

VIVI
04-28-2004, 01:10 PM
good
i like the gun`s discribe

cupcake
04-28-2004, 02:46 PM
Great work.:applause:

CreatorBox
04-28-2004, 06:21 PM
I especially like the clean look of the image. Somehow the male character reminds of Raven from Metal Gear Solid. Gotta love that game.

One crit, the skin color of the male character is similar to the back ground. Perhaps changing the skintone color of the male will make him stand out more. Other than that, awesome work. :wip:

http://www.16bit.com/toypics/mgs/vulcan/01.gif

Nimue
04-29-2004, 01:29 AM
The male is a redone image from the starcraft booklet. Did you mean to do that? Otherwords nice job.

Nigel-Q
04-29-2004, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Nimue
The male is a redone image from the starcraft booklet. Did you mean to do that? Otherwords nice job.

no, it's not. and no, i didn't intend any likeness or to redo another design. no matter how similar they are, it's a coincidence, i assure you.

the soldier character you're talking about in my peice has some fairly overdone visual elements to him (the gun, gas mask, etc), i had some fun doing my own take on some cliche stuff there, but it is still my design, and the only reference i used was some pics of gattling guns.

i'd like to see a pic of the starcraft character you're talking about, i'm not familiar with it. can you post a link?

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.