View Full Version : Helmet rendering

Bob27
04-20-2004, 06:57 PM
Hi,
A thread started in the modeling section:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=133691

and I have come up with this image:

http://www.studioexistence.com/ezafat/helmet2.htm

I model in Maya but I am on my way in texturing and rendering.
I want to produce a very good image out of this helmet and post it in my site. And I know great Maya renderers are out in this
forum.

Now please tell me what factors should I change in lighting,
rendering, or even texturing to make this image perfect.
I have used one direnct light and 2 point lights in this scene, one of the point lights just lightens the visor. the visor has a gold material and the rest copper, all by Pixho. I have turned on my
raytrace wherever I found one ! Should I change the background to a dark purple or this is ok. Help please!

Thanks
http://www.studioexistence.com/ezafat/helmet2.htm/helmet-fin.jpg

poly enslaver
04-20-2004, 07:18 PM
Hi. It's not too bad, but you'd better use HDR with fresnel reflections. That will give some nice renders with some kind of physical correctnes of mettal... And try to NOT use direct light... Better some spot light + caustics. Try it. Also you can usereflection utility for some reflections bump.

Bob27
04-20-2004, 08:22 PM
Thanks a lot for your guidance poly enslaver. I really want to apply them to get a better result. But as I said I am not that experienced in Maya rendering, I am more exp in Max, but I want to render this in Maya and now I don't have the time to read tons of articles. I will read them later though. so with the hints that I receive I willtry to have a nice render. Now Just give me the hints, please and I 'll go after it.

1- I have lots of HDRI maps, How would I apply them in the Maya 5 default renderer. You don't want me to use the mental ray ? and how should I activate my fresnel reflections?

2- Ok that's easy , I will change my direct lights to spots , but
what about caustics, where is it and how should I change it?

3-you mean in the Hypershade/ Utilities there is a utility called reflection which I should select and and then apply it let say in
my copper material bump section ? A little more explanation please.

thanks in advance and if there are online articles o which you think would help,I would be glad to see them.

alesmav
04-21-2004, 12:00 AM
Its a good model, but try to break those perfect highlights (which don't exist anywhere in the nature) by using specular maps. Add some dirt to it, some bump map, perhaps a dent here and there to make it look more realistic.
Try to imagine the history of this helmet, ask yourself where it's been - it's probably been hit with a sword or a mace quite often, it has been gathering dirt for quite some time, so loose the shiny look...Even a dried blood stain would greatly contribute to the realism of this object...

remember... every object has a story behind it and even the brand new object has some irregularities on it's surface and texture. Try to capture that on you helmet.

ALES

staffanlincoln
04-21-2004, 05:57 AM
It has good potential I think. It is a nice design for a helmet and the visor is going to be gorgeous with just a few tweaks.

The helmet is way too reflective. Turn that setting down by lowering the specular colour and making that darker. In fact, put noise on the specular colour. It will make the material come alive and shimmer, like it has tiny imperfections or small specks of dust. It will still look brand new, but real.

I'd lose the light that only shines on the visor. It's not realistic behaviour for lights to shine on some, but not all surfaces. The visor looks as though it is thinner than paper. Make that material thick and you'll have a lot of beautiful specular highlights over there.

Add shadows. Because the material is so reflective, the shadows aren't visible. I think the image would be a lot more pleasing if the helmet was more unevenly lit, so that some details were so deep in shadow that they were barely visible.

Bob27
04-21-2004, 08:55 AM
Thanks guys, please keep on giving practical advices. I will try to apply them as much as I can,
staffanlincoln, indeed I plan to make that visor thicker, soon.

Now what about the background, should it be as it is, or should
I make a dark monochrome background ?

Still waiting for poly enslaver's reply.

poly enslaver
04-21-2004, 09:22 AM
HI Bob27! Check your PM.

julnyapp
04-22-2004, 09:22 AM
Hi Bob27, yep I reckon a darker background would make the helmet stand out. I agree with what the other guys commented on the model, all that's said are pretty much what I wanted to comment also.

cheers!

Bob27
04-27-2004, 07:53 AM
Hi guys,

Just let you know that I made Part 1 of the tut for making this
Helmet:

http://www.studioexistence.com/sections/Tutorials/CG/Modeling/Helmet/Helmet%201.htm

In part 4 I am dealing with the rendering and till then I have to do lots of reading to come up with a good render.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.