PDA

View Full Version : These are exciting times...

Signal2Noise
04-20-2004, 04:28 PM
My heart can’t take anymore of this!

Last many months have been a fantastic and rewarding time for most of us. It all started with the incredible package deal of LW 7.5 with free upgrade to [8] and a copy of DFX+ w/ Module 1 & 4 for a ridiculously low price. This is the deal that drew me into the LW community. I thought I was set. Things settled down for a bit. Then…

A totally unexpected email from NewTek sits in my Inbox when I get home from work one day. Basically a thank-you (and a veiled apology for the delay) for being a registered upgrade to [8] user. "Here is your free copy of UVEditPro
". I’m not at all familiar with UVEditPro but am excited and grateful nonetheless. I still haven’t used UVEditPro but I’m sure it’ll be great when I do. As I ponder this and print off the UVEditPro PDF manual…

FPrime gets unleashed. With amazing render (albeit somewhat limited) times and an extraordinary introductory release price FPrime was too good to pass up. Okay, got FPrime. My world turns back to normal and all is complete until…

The EMAIL appears. Yes, THE EMAIL from NewTek announcing the pending release of [8] with a PROJECTED RELEASE DATE specified! April 22 is circled off on my calendar. Mayhem ensues on the CGTalk and NewTek boards. Things are going out of control. April 22 is still a couple of weeks away I say to myself at the time. Things can happen. Let’s level off a bit and get under control. Take it easy. Still using and enjoying [7.5], relaxing…

WHAM! NewTek is streaming live coverage from NAB 2004. LightWave [8] gets a demo spot on the first day! Still three days to go. Awesome stuff. Makes me want to get my hands on [8] even more…

WHAM! Same day. Three days before April 22. Reports from NAB 2004 as well as on the CGTalk & NewTek forums indicate that [8] has began shipping. Forum members are saying they have already received their copy in the post! Utter chaos begins. “Where’s my [8]?” “How come I haven’t received my email?” “I won’t be home when it comes? What will I do?” “When’s [9] shipping?” can be heard and read across the land. Yes, THE DAY has arrived.

Now, once things get back to close to being normal again we have a few things to look forward to. The SDK issue will be an immense step for plug-in makers and users. NewTek getting together with Worley to flesh out FPrime and make it more powerful will be a great boon to the LW community. Talk will turn to all the great things about [8] and sorting out any problems for the inevitable updates. Then maybe a year or so down the road, the pandemonium will all start again as new toys get released and [9] (or whatever the name may be) starts poking it’s head around the corner.

These are exciting times we live in. The future is so...ahem!... Globally Illuminated I got to where shades.

My heart can’t take anymore of this but it’s all worthwhile in the world of NewTek, LightWave, and the CG community.

Cheers all and happy rendering!

3DDave
04-20-2004, 05:19 PM
So where is the CGTalk home page plug for Lightwave [8]??
XSI 4 and Maya 6 got plugged and their software is not shipping today.

uncommongrafx
04-20-2004, 05:32 PM
And to be honest, I hope it never does.

It is the[this] underestimation of lw that is also part of it's heavily weaponed arsenal. :arteest: Advertising cuts into the pay of the engineers. I say, "Listen to us and we can tell you more than a print ad..." Ought to be their tag line with all of us lwers sending in pics for the montage with us all plugged into the various forums.

Damned fine ad that'd be.

Also, I'd be pissed if it were here and I didn't (DON'T!!!!!!!) have it yet. :eek:

Psyhke
04-20-2004, 05:40 PM
It should be plugged, yes. But maybe it's because, as Chuck stated on NT forum, that LW8 actually has NOT been "officially" released. I guess that will be when the printed manuals are done, and new orders can actually ship.

3DDave
04-20-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by uncommongrafx
And to be honest, I hope it never does.

It is the[this] underestimation of lw that is also part of it's heavily weaponed arsenal. :arteest: Advertising cuts into the pay of the engineers. I say, "Listen to us and we can tell you more than a print ad..." Ought to be their tag line with all of us lwers sending in pics for the montage with us all plugged into the various forums.

Damned fine ad that'd be.

Also, I'd be pissed if it were here and I didn't (DON'T!!!!!!!) have it yet. :eek:

Ok, I guess if we have waited for two years, two more days won't kill us.

-mindcache-
04-20-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by 3DDave
XSI 4 and Maya 6 got plugged and their software is not shipping today.

It was plugged when NewTek made the initial LW8 press release.

3DDave
04-20-2004, 07:17 PM
Oh, you mean last year at Siggraph??

Para
04-20-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by -mindcache-
It was plugged when NewTek made the initial LW8 press release.

I must've missed that one...anyway, I think that it's worth a plug if NewTek releases a press release about the fact that they finally managed to get LW8 out.

leigh
04-20-2004, 07:54 PM
think that it's worth a plug if NewTek releases a press release about the fact that they finally managed to get LW8 out.

Yup. Yesterday both Alias and Softimage released numerous press releases from NAB about their products. As of yet I have seen no press release from NewTek - there isn't even anything on their site yet. Once a press release is issued, then a news item will be posted :)

MooseDog
04-21-2004, 04:43 AM
paging mr. baker, mr. baker, please call your office:p

rickycox
04-21-2004, 12:08 PM
My guess is that they want to get copies out to those loyal custommers that preorderred before hyping it up.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.