PDA

View Full Version : Beast of Burden - Character/contraption - SoulCatcher

SoulCatcher
07-12-2002, 02:18 PM
I kinda hesitated to enter this month, I thought I might repeat what i did in last month's challenge, and not be able to even photoshop it. Then I remembered that it is a "challenge." What kind of person would I be if I didn't accept the challenge and go for it?!

This drawing will be done the way I tried to do last challenge's piece. It's another pencil drawing in which I will encorporate color w/ photoshop. Some line work will will remain in the finish piece but some of the are just reference for detail and texture.

Its good to be back.
As always comments/critiques welcomed

Culann
07-12-2002, 05:27 PM
Hey SoulCatcher, it's good to see you back. I saw your last piece ( though I wasn't registered then) and thought it looked great even in its lineart incarnation.
Your new entry looks just as good, it has a nice solid feel to it and the details of the harness etc. add a lot to the atmosphere. The only "crit" I could give you is that the BoB isn't exactly hauling something, but carrying everything on its back. That doesn't hurt the composition though, in fact it enhances BoB theme.

Well, just keep on doing what you're doing and I'm sure the end result will be great. :buttrock:

SoulCatcher
07-12-2002, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the crit. Culann :)

Your right about the hauling.
D'oh! I dont know how that one escaped me. I drew this one strickly for the challenge so I hope the judges are not that strict and still count this as an entry. :surprised

Gamoron
07-15-2002, 10:29 PM
Nice work so far. No worries. Carrying things on its back is fine, atleast that's what I've read. Hope you finish this one.:thumbsup:

SoulCatcher
07-18-2002, 03:25 PM
Just posting a little bit of progress. These are just the flat colors and initial shading on the girl, dont worry its nowhere near completed. I am still finding it difficult to work around the 50KB limit but I feel I am getting closer to craking it.

SoulCatcher
07-18-2002, 03:32 PM
:annoyed:

I am having problems uploading this image. Ill try again later today.

Gamoron
07-18-2002, 08:53 PM
Looking great Soulcatcher. Your style reminds me of Charles Vess, but a bit more cartoony. :thumbsup:

SoulCatcher
07-26-2002, 12:12 AM
OK time to shift gears and move faster. This contest is almost over and I got little to show...but not for long. gotta get busy.

:arteest:

Dianna
07-26-2002, 10:10 PM
I'm glad to see that you entered this month's challenge, I was disappointed that you didn't have the opportunity to finish the last one. C'est la vie!
It looks awesome so far-- can't wait to see the finished piece.:thumbsup:

SoulCatcher
07-27-2002, 01:18 AM
I am honored to be the thread starter of your first post :D Dianna. I hope that last sentence made sense. More resons why I have to finish. Tomorrow will be my D-day.

the_real_cabal
07-27-2002, 06:59 AM
this picture looks very impressive :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

SoulCatcher
07-27-2002, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Gamoron
Looking great Soulcatcher. Your style reminds me of Charles Vess, but a bit more cartoony. :thumbsup:

Thanks. I didnt know who you were talking about at first. So I looked it up and was able to find his work. I had seen it before I just couldnt remember the name. I am flattered to be compared to him. Its weird tough, that he is not one the artists I look up to. I admire the works of Frank Frazetta, Alphonse Mucha, Frank Cho and Shirow Masamune and many others. I guess I should be adding one more to the list.

:)

SoulCatcher
07-28-2002, 05:40 PM
Well posting some progress...

I dont really like to compress my images. I am using photoshop and PaintShopPro 7 and I cant get a nice looking compressed image. Does anyone know of a good tutorial for compressing images in PSP7? :shrug:

SoulCatcher
07-28-2002, 06:29 PM
maybe this would be better I dont know if it will work. The site sometimes says that it does not support direct-links but try it anyways

http://thesoulcatcher.freeservers.com/Beast%20copy2.jpg

Kirt
07-28-2002, 07:53 PM
I'm not familiar with Paintshop Pro. But in Photoshop you can use Shft+Ctrl+M or File > Jump to ... > Adobe Image Ready. I find that Image Ready does a good job of file compression and has many usefull presets for the optimization. Often it is able to cut file size by more than half with no loss of image quality.

SoulCatcher
07-28-2002, 11:27 PM
Thanks Kirt I will try that on my next update. :thumbsup:

SoulCatcher
07-29-2002, 04:48 AM
If the website works. Try it out. there is a larger size image, it looks better.

http://thesoulcatcher.freeservers.com/Beast42large.jpg

Here I am posting some progress before I go to sleep. Again the compression is killing me. I am trying to learn how every one gets their pics in under that mind boggling 50k and still makes them look good. :hmm:

SoulCatcher
07-31-2002, 04:35 PM
:annoyed:

Well I cound't finish this time. But I did get to work on photoshop so I moved one step ahead. Maybe next challenge I can get a finished piece. Heh... learning prosess. Well see ya next challenge. :)

Kirt
07-31-2002, 11:59 PM
You have four days still ... the challenge ends Aug 4th.

SoulCatcher
08-01-2002, 12:57 PM
Thanks Kirt; Ok now maybe I can work on it saturday. Lets see how far I get.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.