PDA

View Full Version : [Game Art] A mining shaft/cave

Wizdoc
04-20-2004, 10:20 AM
Here's a scene I did for a (pre-rendered) 3D adventure game:

http://batman.jypoly.fi/~92674/cave.jpg

I'm still a bit unhappy about a few things, mainly the "polygon look" in a few places, and the sharpness of the few shadows, and the power cable just disappearing into the ceiling.

Rendered with Max 5 scanline renderer. Touchup with Photoshop.

Comments welcome.

Svenart
04-20-2004, 11:03 AM
Looks really good to me. :beer: I like the mood in this image, and the lighting. Maybe, the stone is a little bit to smooth?

avalon
04-20-2004, 11:22 AM
:thumbsup:
Real good work!
The light is so real.
the light ray is so good.

brogh
04-20-2004, 12:16 PM
lokks great to me, if you improve the things you said in your post, this image should look beauty

:bounce: :beer: :bounce:

Wizdoc
04-21-2004, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately, because the project is done under pretty tight schedule (it's supposed to be done by Monday, actually - thank God there's no money involved :rolleyes: ), there hasn't been really any time to fine tune the images. If I'd have the time, I'd probably go through all of the work with a fine comb and use some other renderer than Max 5's scanline, and would definitely make my own materials and textures (right now, it's all with Max default stuff) - and it unfortunately shows. But, it's a learning experience.

BTW, here's another picture, this time from a more technological part of the game - again Max 5 scanline & Photoshop:

http://batman.jypoly.fi/~92674/techhallway.jpg

phito11
04-21-2004, 04:54 PM
I tip my hat to you.

I liked both of your images there I think you did great with both of them. Can you give us any info on the game as far as the name and release date?:thumbsup:

Wizdoc
04-21-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Jasp3d
I like the images, but I have one doubt: the game pre-render uses the max engine for rendering ?
due to my newbieness i didn't know of any game that used a 3d top engine software for game its own rendering O_O

No, nothing fancy like that. Think Myst, just bunch of still images, no 3D engine, per se. I render the images with Max, and they're put into the game after hotspot coordinates and other logic is in place. It's pretty simple in design, actually.

It's done in Macromedia Director as a friend's school project. I might upload it somewhere after it's completed for everyone who's interested to download.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.