PDA

View Full Version : Animation reel "Monkey See Monkey Do" - VFS

ngarte
04-20-2004, 05:59 AM
Hello : )

I have finally completed my student animation reel titled "Monkey See, Monkey Do". The production time of this animation is 6 months from pre-production to final.

Although I am totally new to 3d and animtion, I learn so much from the instructors during my stay at the Vancouver Film School. Thanks to all the teachers and students who made my stay in the school so enriching and wonderful.

http://www.ngarte.com/Seb.jpg

The url to my movie is at

http://www.ngarte.com/monkeyboy/monkeyboy.html

If the page gets too busy try downloading directly from :

Monkey See Monkey Do - Large Version (30 meg) (http://www.ngarte.com/video/adrian_monkeyboy_webbig.mov)
Monkey See Monkey Do - Smaller Version(15 meg) (http://www.ngarte.com/video/adrian_monkeyboy_websmall.mov)

Alternative Mirror Site
Monkey See Monkey Do (http://www.vfs.com/~3d43adrian/monkeyboy.html)

I also have the DVD version of this reel which includes a making of section that shows the pre-production stage all the way to the final as well as a facial rig that I created for both characters. Write to me if you want more information about the DVD.

Hope all of you will enjoy it. Give me feedback and comments as well. Would like to hear what you think of it... Thanks and cheers.

P.S. I am looking for a job now as a character animator :)
My online resume is at http://www.vfs.com/~3d43adrian/adrian_cv_final.pdf

---------------------------
adrian ng chee wei
adrian@ngarte.com
msn : mobygump75@msn.com
www.ngarte.com

3d43lea
04-20-2004, 09:06 PM
Hi Adrian,:bowdown:

So i'm trying to think of powerful inspiring words for you.... but u know what? It's you yourself who is powerfully inspiring to everyone else. You have excellent group motivation skills, incredible patience with 3d ditzes like me, and No one can forget when you finished early, but stayed those 2 extra nights before deadline to help people out.
For sure, wherever u go, you'll be successful and have the same impact on others :)

U kick ass:bounce:

ok lemme check out your new reel heheheheh:p

LotsaLuvLea
3d43LoudMouthAsianGirly

mgard
04-21-2004, 12:06 AM
hi adrian..
It's really great.
you are the smatest guy eve i met..
I've spent great time with you for 1 year...
i know you have great talents. I always envy you a lot...

it was really good time spent with u and i hope u will have great future....

thank you for your helping for a year..

Bananachips
04-21-2004, 02:50 AM
Congratulations on the demo Adrian. Looks real good.

No doubt this guy is creative and hard working. I was in the same class with this guy for just a few months and I can tell already. A pity I could not have graduated with Adrian and the rest of 3D43 :cry: ...anyhow.

Like how you changed the title picture to the Forest Gump thing... quite clever :rolleyes: The little changes you made to the demo also works very well.

All employers out there. This is the guy to hire :bowdown:

Best of luck Adrian. Take good care. Keep in touch always.

Regards,

Wes. :applause:

HenningK
04-21-2004, 03:37 AM
Totally adorable. Characters are strong in animation, especially facial. COngratulations on a real nice reel. SOunds like youre a nice guy, too. Heh.
love,hen

fallencat
04-21-2004, 04:40 AM
This is really out standing student reels, I enjoy it a lots !

the animations is really sweet, I even go frame by frame to watch some of it and noticed that you put lots of work into it.. so many little things going on.. specially with the monkey !

Good luck with ur job hunting dude... I am seeking for animation jobs in 604 too ;)

going to check out your web site now....

btw.. this should be at front page ! hope some one will plug you.

cheers

KolbyJukes
04-21-2004, 05:20 AM
Excellent work Adrian.

I as well think this should be on the front page.

-Kol.

younghee
04-21-2004, 06:27 AM
Hey adrian..
really nice job!! wonderful~~~ :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
I really appreciate all your help,,, especially mentally
You are one of the greatest man I've ever met.
I think I was so lucky for one year because of knowing you and other nice 43 guys.
thank you so much for the year !!!

Heber
04-21-2004, 06:38 AM
nice reel , i like alot of the animation , but i did notice a couple areas that could of used some more tweaking, but they were really minor in comparison to the rest of the work , solid demo , and good luck to you finding work :)

3d42yoojin
04-21-2004, 07:22 AM
:bowdown:

i love your reel!! you know..
awsome characters and animation..it's amazing..

it's been great to know you and
I learned so many things from you..
I really appreciate that..:thumbsup:
hope your dreams come true and have a wonderful life..
good luck!!!

Jesse-Irvin
04-21-2004, 07:47 AM
You've come a long way like many of us Adrian. Lots of blood sweat and tears... Ok no tears or blood but when that room gets hot theres some sweat for sure! Congrats! it looks great. I love the DVD too.

And you've got your holds down pat!

xenoid
04-21-2004, 09:10 AM
congrats for going on the front page! :beer:

mattmos
04-21-2004, 09:20 AM
From the version you posted in the focused critiques section a while back this has come back in leaps and bounds! Characters are readable and emotive, and the animation is snappy but not overdone.

Hope it lands you a decent job :thumbsup:

Plasticbag
04-21-2004, 09:51 AM
Hi dude,
Congrats on getting on the first page

Keep up the good work, you'll find a job soon

flegos
04-21-2004, 10:51 AM
It s great work, nice story and figures! I like it.
Congratulation! :applause:

ThomasMahler
04-21-2004, 11:03 AM
Hehehe, that one made me laugh! I mean, the story could have been a little shorter, but it's a really nice short movie. You created two cool characters - I especially like the monkey. Keep it up!

dominicqwek
04-21-2004, 11:34 AM
Great work and congrats on the plug. Good to see a fellow Singaporean in here. Keep the passion burning :beer:

pasto
04-21-2004, 12:46 PM
Really nice, may be you should credit the music though, who did it by the way, I can't remember their name.

pasto

cybser
04-21-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by pasto
Really nice, may be you should credit the music though, who did it by the way, I can't remember their name.

pasto

Quincy Jones - Soul Bossa Nova

megabytemonster
04-21-2004, 01:59 PM
:surprised Your host seems pretty busy.

elnady
04-21-2004, 02:03 PM
Very nice job;)

aazimkhan
04-21-2004, 02:11 PM
Overall very good work.
But here are some critics.

Story was weak. Animation just kept flowing - there were no holds or breaks. I love the pose-pose animation there.

But it was too repititive - every move was done in the same way ( hits the pose real quick and settles with a soft follow through / sec. motion) I liked the style of animation, but it was a bit overdone. the character was moving all over the place.

Facial expressions were nice.

again, overall good work.

-cheers.

CoolBird
04-21-2004, 02:34 PM
how much do u learn in a year of vfs man??? holly i am so goint there.

cac2889
04-21-2004, 02:39 PM
Downloading, but a little slow. I'll let you know when its done what i think! I will say though, it already looks good just from the teaser photo. I like the Forest Gump idea. :)

jhawk28
04-21-2004, 04:29 PM
I like it, reminds me of a little book I used to read, "Caps for Sale".

Joshua

jcollins
04-21-2004, 04:42 PM
I think its possible that your thesis character and my thesis character are distant cousins.

http://www.rsad.edu/~jcollins/marcus1.jpg

http://www.rsad.edu/~jcollins/marcus2.jpg

jeremy

froggyplat
04-21-2004, 04:46 PM
Great short. I think the story was fine...I laughed hard at the end. The animation is really impressive. Only crit would be that it was very busy....too many acting ideas in too few frames. They are good ideas; I just had a hard time keeping up with them.

Congratulations on making the front page!

phito11
04-21-2004, 04:51 PM
I liked your reel very much, loved the monkey. I hope to see more of your work in the future. Maybe another story about the monkey and the boy?:bowdown:

konst
04-21-2004, 05:20 PM
Yey :bounce: I managed to download it at last. It was great. :beer:

Simpel models and great animation and expresions. Keep it up and I hope you get the job you whant.

Yina
04-21-2004, 05:56 PM
hey, this is real good stuff! congrats on the frontpage! making us all singaporeans proud :beer:

3d43lea
04-21-2004, 06:42 PM
Hi Adrian!

WOOHOO! Front page! I knew u kicked ass!:applause:
You're future will be bright, cuz all your hard work is startying to pay off.

Again, thanks for all of your help during the last year.

LotsaLuvLea
3D43LoudMouthAsianGirl

ps. 2nd cheddar cheese:p ......................HAHAHAHAHHAHA

michelhabib
04-21-2004, 07:22 PM
that's very dynamic :bounce: it's amazing, animation and expressions are great and the acting is beautiful, and of course the story is very simple and cute

THX
04-21-2004, 07:28 PM
the pacing in the animation seems wrong..:shrug:

Project813
04-21-2004, 07:47 PM
Reminds me of a childrens book from my youth: CAPS CAPS FOR SALE.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0064431436/ref=sib_dp_pt/102-5478283-1120932#reader-link

Good work. I enjoyed it.

bluegrl
04-21-2004, 08:17 PM
adrian,
amazing job, as always. your animation is looking awesome. you have been a great teacher, classmate, and friend. you deserve to go far. thanks for always being a great resource for the rest of us. best of luck

pimeto
04-21-2004, 09:56 PM
wow i just saw your movie
thats wonderfull animated stuff man :buttrock:
well done, i like the music and that on some places its synhronized with the animation :)
good job:thumbsup:

Bartosz_Milicja
04-21-2004, 10:06 PM
Great short , i liked it, i wish i could animate =/

dflipb
04-22-2004, 12:32 AM
I thought it was very well done, but I think it's funny that the monkey had human feet! :D

It made me laugh

Sunce1971
04-22-2004, 02:16 AM
Really good animation.
Good timing,
Very good face expressions.
Story very cute.
Congratulations!

ngarte
04-22-2004, 02:41 AM
Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for alll the overwhelming responses and making it frontpage. Deeply and truely touched by all the responses from all of you.

What I am doing now is actually trying to land myself a job here in Canada, or USA... or even UK. I know it will be so hard as I am an international student from Singapore. I have been to interviews and know that getting work permit for entry level positions like myself is truely difficult but I am hoping that some companies will see beyond the work permit issues. No matter what, I know the work permit issues arrises from the government trying to protect it's own people so I can understand if nothing works out for me.

Nevertheless, It has been an extremely wonderful year that I have spent with every single one of you here in Vancouver and this experience that I gain will forever be deeply embeded in my mind. I will miss everyone of you.

For all those people who left remarks about my short, thanks so much for liking my characters and story. For those who gave critiques, Do continue to give them. To me, critiques are the only way one can learn and become better.

I will strive to make myself a good animator and VFS is only just a start for me. I will work really hard to be the good animator that I aspire to be.

Sincerely touched,
Adrian Ng
www.ngarte.com

baoling
04-22-2004, 03:09 AM
I can feel the "Singaporean's style". It's very good, everything well done, well-organized, and predictable, but it's not "wild" enough... I feel that make something extreme and new ( not the traditional concept, or storyline), sure the big company will put more notice on u.

DoLeeP
04-22-2004, 03:32 AM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BVZM
04-22-2004, 03:55 AM
Adrian the front page didn't surprise me..
The amount of work, the level of professionality, the passion and strenght you showed up during the last year was impressive. We all looked and still look at you as an example and, even in the tough periods, your precious help was everytime followed by your positive attitude and your special smile. I'll never forget that and I'll never stop to thank you.
I'm sure that your life will be succesfull in every fields. As an animator as well as a close friend I whis I can meet you again sometime, somewhere in the world. It will be a pleasure and an honor for me.
I can tell you now that, secretely, we always call you our God, our example.
I wish you all the best, a succesfull career in the best studios as an animator as well as a long and happy life as a man.
Your "old" Italian friend.

Antonio.

BeCOOL_MiN
04-22-2004, 03:57 AM
OH!

Adrian~

You got Front Page! COOL~

I been watching you for about year, and I learn a lot of things from behind of you.

I wish you have good luck out there!

:thumbsup:

GavinG
04-22-2004, 05:04 AM
It is a very nice reel, but honestly it could be a little more polished. I'm speaking from a totally hypocritical point of view as I am still working on my reel, but I feel that this is nothing above average. Again, I don't mean to be rude or take away from your glory (as you should be proud of your accomplishments) but the animation overall could still improve.

The best part of the whole short is at the end when the boy has the monkey on his head...a nice ending, and done well. The rest of the acting seems a little odd, the poses are a little off...and the music becomes too distracting.

Overall though, it's nice and more than anything I've yet to accomplish. Again, congrats on all your hard work and good luck in the industry

Gav

danielkenobi
04-22-2004, 05:08 AM
Great work man I reali like it, I think that the best of the video is the idea of the story, do you wrote this?? The animation Is a little weak in some parts I think. :beer:
But everithing is very nice .:thumbsup:

sameer551
04-22-2004, 06:39 AM
Great work man!!:thumbsup:
Your hard work will pay soon!! Wishing you Good luck:thumbsup:

Cheers
sam:beer:

oxyg3n
04-22-2004, 07:49 AM
Nice Job!!

andy_maxman
04-22-2004, 08:00 AM
smooth animation....nice facials....good camera work......nice timing...............does not look compromised anywhere.......humourous storyline = good future in animation = good pay = beautiful wife = all is in place.....

goodLuck dude!!!!!
it rocked!!!

Rodi
04-22-2004, 09:52 AM
Cool man,- The end was great :thumbsup:

olijosman
04-22-2004, 10:49 AM
FUNNY!! I love the monkey! great animation work :thumbsup:

Error
04-22-2004, 12:13 PM
really good bouncy animation, singaporean!

Reserved24hrs
04-22-2004, 01:50 PM
FRONT PAGE.... :thumbsup:
Yahoo~! your animation rocks... love it
hey, keep in touch man

Nelson (44)

tinrocket
04-22-2004, 04:26 PM
Why no music credits? Whether or not the musicians are still alive, together, or whatever, I'm sure you didn't meant to jilt them & their work?

KolbyJukes
04-22-2004, 07:09 PM
I was hoping you would get front page.

Great job Adrian:thumbsup:

-Kolby.

EricLyman
04-22-2004, 07:35 PM
Great story, and fun characters, especially the monkey! I do think that your cuts are way too fast however. This is just from an editing viewpoint. I feel like character expressions and reactions are flashed on the screen faster than I can react them them emotionally. Slow this down a bit and I think your audience will have more of a chance to think about what's happening on screen.

Good job nonetheless!

eq7
04-22-2004, 10:03 PM
Animation is awesome, and i love the expressions What more can i say... oh yah, Great use of color!!!!!!! =)

Anyways, best of luck in the future wherever you end up. Keep me up to date with how you're doing!

:applause:

DavidKwok
04-23-2004, 12:43 AM
Adrian,

Try your best to find a job there. Else I will try to help you locate one when you come home.

You deserved a good job. Well done.

3dSnail
04-23-2004, 01:12 AM
Nice stuff, especially for your first short. The only thing Id have to say about it, is, wouldnt the kid worry the monkey will pee or poo on hes head?
Just Kiddin, great stuff man :thumbsup:

BeWare
04-23-2004, 02:32 PM
nice piece of work, Adrian!

I'd be interested in knowing a little more about your animation techniques - you mentioned you used XSI - but as I'm less familiar with Softimage tools, I'd like to know more about them.

BTW how is Vancouver Film School? I'm looking at various school/programs right now.

Thanks for your feeback and keep up the great animation!

:applause:

Symytry
04-23-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by BeWare
BTW how is Vancouver Film School? I'm looking at various school/programs right now.

Its a tad on the expensive side especially if you're an international student, but the program is wicked. You'll learn everything from an industry perspective and have a hand in doing everything from start to finish...

I graduated almost 2 years ago from there, had a job a month after graduation and I've had jobs ever since!

BeWare
04-23-2004, 05:38 PM
TX, Symytri. You hear a lot of different views on schools and what you actually walk away with. But VFS seems to be getting good reviews and I guess XSI is the thing now, especially with V4.

ksedore
04-23-2004, 05:41 PM
Adrian, you are the best!!! :bowdown:

Kristin

Skyraider3D
04-23-2004, 10:04 PM
Lovely animation. The movements go a bit too fast and frantic sometimes, but the expressions are often really good - especially those of the monkey! He's quite a funny character! Well done! :thumbsup:

ksedore
04-24-2004, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by BeWare

It's great. For sure it's a lot of money, but most schools are. At least the ones I looked at were. I just finished at VFS and I'm so glad I decided to go there. One of the big differences over other programs is that it's only 1 year. They sure pack in the info in that time. When I look back at where we all started, I'm amazed at how far we've come. We even had a marine biologist in our class! Who ever knew she'd also be a wicked animator! You just need to think of it as an investment! :)

Besides, look at some of the reels like Adrian's. That's what you can learn. Keep up the good work Adrian! You make us proud! :cry:

Kristin

PS: Adrian, I got your computer in the Tree Fort! Sorry, Min.

ngarte
04-25-2004, 12:25 AM
That computer serves me well.. hahaha... and you have lots of light in that area... just remove that piece of paper hanging above you....

Hope you will enjoy your scholarship stay as much as I do and I am sure you will be able to find a job very easily....

Bott
04-25-2004, 05:16 AM
Hey, really cool reel, keep up with good job

ernesto

BeCOOL_MiN
04-26-2004, 04:26 AM
Well, kristin...it's ok....I got computer what I want which ernesto wanted...

So... I'm sorry ernesto...

Heber
04-29-2004, 11:10 AM
hey guys i was suppose to start in june semester but now im in may semester , which starts monday , i am very excited to be going to vfs and catn wait to see how far i go in the next year , btw what is the tree fort you guys speak of? hopefully i can meet some of you guys next week and you can show me the dos and donts , heheh , later

mayafishing
04-29-2004, 01:38 PM
Really good acting.

Some ideas about it: The motionis kind of busy. It feels like too many acting happening together. However, the overall timing is consistent.

I also like the colors you used. Keep doing it and you will be a great character animator.

Any new projects on your way? I am a new learner of character animation. I am learning it all by my own. Could you give me some suggestion about my first piece of animation:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/maya0911/3DAnime/BoBo.avi

Thanks

3d43lea
05-14-2004, 06:41 PM
Hi Hi!

Yes, I wanted to say what i wanted to say the way antonio said it heheh.

I know you worked EXTREMELY hard at VFS, and I know it will pay off SOON :)

Your reel is exellent, exceptional attention to minute details (ie monkey picking his ear and eating it) great acting, luvly colours!!! cute, funny, awesome .... u took EVERY bit of info from every class and applied it to your whole reel.
I admire your ability to use all the information you were taught and take advantage of every resource given to u.

NG, u kick ass :bowdown:

see u soon!

LotsaLuvLea

Fred.
05-14-2004, 08:35 PM
Cute Story, great animations, good job :applause: !

igopavlov
05-15-2004, 06:09 PM
Hey Man

Did you find a job jet - ?
And why the hell you put the monkey on the boy?

And now Magic: ALRIGHT GUYS WE HAVE A LOT OF THINGS TO COVER!

Heehheeee
3d43ygo

chocomuffin
05-17-2004, 02:39 AM
:thumbsup: great work~~

good to see that u've advanced so much.....

did singaporeans proud manZ!!! :bowdown:

keep it up! *^_^*

benpixel
05-17-2004, 03:03 AM
I saw the footage, I like it, it looks very PRO, i was like WOW!
I like the plot and the sleak animation, it must have taken you tons of time and effort in this.
From what i see, i think you can work in some advertising firms doing animation advertisements.
Great job and Congrats to you!
Cheers~

keymistress
05-17-2004, 03:29 AM
excellent 3d animation, and you learnt that all in only a year!
i agree that the storyline could have been stronger but the technical skills are what we're concerned about isn't it? imo, superb! i'm sure you won't have any problems finding a job, break a leg! :bowdown: <--- this smiley totally works for you!

Junkflea
05-17-2004, 09:01 AM
:drool:
way to go dude!
Great work!

Cya Soon real soon!
http://www.junkflea.com

ngarte
05-27-2004, 12:27 AM
Hello everyone,

Guess it is time for me to head home back to Sunny Singapore. Been a terrific experience for me here in Vancouver and I learn so much stuffs here... I will be flying off on the 27th May...

Thanks everyone for all your comments n feedbacks. Stay in contact and love you all.

Adrian Ng
mobygump

www.ngarte.com

KolbyJukes
05-27-2004, 02:05 AM
Good luck Adrian,

ahsiong
07-27-2004, 04:16 PM
Yoi!!!!!

Adrian!! hahaha ...a very humourous person. your reel is very entertaining and funny too..http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon13.gifhttp://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon13.gifhttp://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon13.gif i like the part when the monkey coils the tail around himself!:applause: hehe .. Adrian is a person who is mischievious just like the "lao gao" (monkey) too!!

AhSiong :applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

ahsiong
07-27-2004, 04:21 PM
Yoi!!!!!

Adrian!! hahaha ...a very humourous person. your reel is very entertaining and funny too..http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon13.gif i like the part when the monkey coils the tail around himself!:applause: hehe .. Adrian is a person who is mischievious just like the "lao gao" (monkey) too!!

AhSiong :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.