PDA

View Full Version : still: My Friend at War

aldon
04-20-2004, 05:46 AM
My Friend at War

I used 3D Studio Max and Photoshop to create this image of a modern soldier.
I can't imagine what it is like being my friend at war.

Feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.

http://www.brendanstern.com/images/friend_at_war2_web.jpg

danil
04-20-2004, 01:24 PM
:bowdown:
nice one. U managed to get a good war tone with ur composition.
Maybe it could be like a bit more fearly if u increase the stress on his face. Anyway, good job Aldon :)

DAREONER
04-20-2004, 01:29 PM
very good, the background for the wall is a photo?

AKAI
04-20-2004, 03:02 PM
nice image but to me your character do not "blend" well with you're background...hope it helps..
nice details anyway

sacrefredo
04-20-2004, 04:57 PM
excellent !:applause:

j breitzman
04-20-2004, 05:20 PM
Nice job on the soldier.

I agree that he seems separate from the background. I would expect a shadow or something at least. It might help if you made the wall CG as well.

For some reason his neck bothers me too. It almost looks like he's got a sleeve of fabric around his neck.

-j

Inhert
04-20-2004, 05:48 PM
My only beef with it is that his gun looks relatively dirty/dusty, while his face (for the most part) looks pretty clean. Otherwise, good image! :beer:

Newke
04-20-2004, 07:13 PM
Very nice job !! :beer:

There's something wrong for me on the neck, too. I didn't really see exactly what the soldier's got on this point. Some sort of leather i suppose, but that's not clear.

Impressive work anyway. :buttrock:

roninwarrior
04-20-2004, 09:44 PM
wow that is cool. how long you work on that baby?

EricLyman
04-20-2004, 09:55 PM
Looks really well done. Lets see the wireframe!!

RainAndRedGlass
04-21-2004, 01:52 AM
where is his forehead? looks a little crunched up without any of it showing.

aldon
04-22-2004, 07:06 AM
This took me 20 to 25 hours.

I'll make sure to make some updates from your critiques. I was concerned about the piece around his neck too. I saw a picture of a guy wearing a cloth around his neck to protect him from the sand, but I think I'm going to pull that out and have an exposed neck with a more defined collar.

The door and the wall behind him are modeled, but the smoke is a photo (is this a major no no?). The wall model has minor detail though so I think I'll add to its depth and put his shadow on the wall to make him apart of the scene.

I'll also show a little bit more of his forehead and dirty his face up a touch.

Marius Jonsson
04-22-2004, 10:37 AM
Most of the materials are all wrong, esp the clothing, skin and handgrenade :)

Also, there is no army in the world using a weapon like that:)

Looks like an M4A1 With a RIS system and a M16 solid stock and a phantom flash hider.

Your aimpoint sight looks wrong too.. have a look at my work:

http://the-aim.rad1cal.org/gallery/the_aim_american_terrorist.jpg

http://the-aim.rad1cal.org/gallery/the_aim_aimpoint%20comp%20ml2.jpg

Try using them as reference, but i like the war feel you're getting!

Keep it up!

Marius Jonsson
04-22-2004, 10:38 AM
http://the-aim.rad1cal.org/gallery/the_aim_hell_on_earth.jpg

Another picture

I like the model a lot, but the textures and materials needs some work.

Not many soldiers walk arround with their finger on their triggers :)

Give your friend a M16A2, that is what he is most likly to be using if he is an american:

http://www.fnmfg.com/products/m16/m16a2.gif

The weapon in the other pictures is a M4A1 With an aimpoint comp ML2 :)

aldon
04-23-2004, 03:09 PM
Are those 3D? I'm impressed if they are, but they look like photographs. If they're 3d then you should have some awards from this site! My jaw would drop if I saw the wireframe. Do you usually make all of your textures or do you ever pull from photographs? What software do you use? How did you create the hair on the soldier staring down the barrel? Do you know of any tutorials or studies I should seek out to improve?

I usually animate for real time so I do need to practice my materials and lighting. Are you an instructor? Also, is the character with the knife and gun skinned? It seems that would take a long time to make.

Thanks.

dARCKLOWN
04-23-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by aldon
Are those 3D? I'm impressed if they are, but they look like photographs. If they're 3d then you should have some awards from this site! My jaw would drop if I saw the wireframe. Do you usually make all of your textures or do you ever pull from photographs? What software do you use? How did you create the hair on the soldier staring down the barrel? Do you know of any tutorials or studies I should seek out to improve?

I usually animate for real time so I do need to practice my materials and lighting. Are you an instructor? Also, is the character with the knife and gun skinned? It seems that would take a long time to make.

Thanks.

Um dude, quite obviously there not in 3d.

Nice ref pics non the less :)

slaughters
04-23-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by aldon
Are those 3D? Not all art is 3D modeling! Photography, Posing, and 2D Composition is what those images are showing.

I agree with Marius though. Aldon, your textures look slightly wrong. I don't know enough about the details of different uniforms or weapons to notice the difference, but the specular/shine values for the clothing and skin look a little off. Like all textures are using the phong reflectance shader.

Try reducing the spec highlights on the clothes all together and if you have SSS capabilites see if you can use them on the head and hands.

robin
04-23-2004, 07:13 PM
Wooohaa ! nice one, i tryed to make a soldier once for a videogane intro, yours beats mine by 150 miles

nice

Dutchman
04-23-2004, 08:34 PM
WOW! That's just a beautiful piece of work! I always like images with a special meaning, like in your work. I think your friend will be proud if he sees this image! :)

aldon
04-23-2004, 08:57 PM
This is the 3D forum Gallery so I figured when he said, "check out my work" he meant 3D work so I gave him the benefit of the doubt asking if it was 3D. I did mention that I thought they looked like photographs. I did have my own photos to reference as well.

Here's the reference and texture for the gun and the grenade so these weapons do exist. The grenade I realize may be a bit out-dated for the uniform he is wearing. The gun I improvised on a little.

I'll see if I can fix some of the highlights on his clothing and face. I agree SSS would help his look, I'll have to look into that further.

aldon
This is the 3D forum Gallery so I figured when he said, "check out my work" he meant 3D work so I gave him the benefit of the doubt asking if it was 3D. I did mention that I thought they looked like photographs. I did have my own photos to reference as well.

Here's the reference and texture for the gun and the grenade so these weapons do exist. The grenade I realize may be a bit out-dated for the uniform he is wearing. The gun I improvised on a little.

I'll see if I can fix some of the highlights on his clothing and face. I agree SSS would help his look, I'll have to look into that further.

aldon

Racer-X
04-24-2004, 03:36 AM
Actually Marius his gun is perfectly fine...the reason the stock is different than your M4 is because the United States Carbine, Caliber 5.56mm NATO, M4 uses the new barrel and collapsible buttstock, but was first issued with the standard M16A2 upper receiver and sights to streamline production. So for awhile M4 were produced with the M16 style stock.

Also Marius marines and many other US soldiers have very customized guns often with the RIS system that you say none of them have...look on any of the recent news pictures the M4 is even seen more than the M16 you speak of because it is more compact, lighter, and easier to engage close quarters with it.

So I say your gun is fine.

Another note on the clothing are you saying that a US Soldier in the eastern countries should be wearing green forest camoflouge like in your picture? Maybe if they have a deathwish...the clothing is quite correct also Marius except I havent seen too many soldiers wearing the forest green accessory vest but its not uncommon.

skyraider
04-24-2004, 03:45 AM
GOOD WORK
:thumbsup:

PsychoSilence
04-24-2004, 11:12 AM
nice vray render !

i wouldn´t give too muc into weaponry nerdness...the pose of your guy as well as his equipment looks totally fine to me.
solid texturing work and compositing

looks almost like taken from a war reporter.

Marius Jonsson
05-04-2004, 11:29 AM
They are photographs, I thought I'd give you some reference for your materials in yout scene.

And no, I have never applied a photograph on to my model without heavy modifications.

Good luck!

blok
05-04-2004, 11:37 AM
nice model, only the fading in the background to black and white doesn't work , its very distracting.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.