PDA

View Full Version : Linux version stopped as well??

Hullbr3ach
07-12-2002, 12:02 PM
I just read in the german magazine "digital production" that Apple is also going to discontinue the linux version of Shake together with the windows version.

Hopefully this is not true, as linux is just starting to get going and needs every single program "on board".

Does anyone have more info on that topic?

phatgroovn
07-14-2002, 02:04 PM
I thought that I heard that the Linux version has a bit more life than the Windows version - I thought they said at the end of '03 or something. :shrug:

beaker
07-16-2002, 08:10 AM
They didnt really say whether or not they would stop developing it for linux/irix, just that they would guarantee development through the end of 2003 and then decide. Here is a part of the letter they sent out to shake customers:

" In addition to OS X, Apple will continue to develop, support and sell Shake on Irix and Linux through the end of 2003, but the upcoming Shake 2.5 will be the last version we release on Windows. Beyond 2003, we will continue to evaluate market requirements for Shake and will strive to provide the best product for our customers."

This is total speculation but some people think that they will just continue to offer the nongui version on linux since alot of companies have built their render farms around linux in hollywood. But this is just a guess. Hopefully Apple will announce more on Wednesday when Steve Jobs gives his keynote speech at Macworld NYC

Deke

Hullbr3ach
07-22-2002, 12:49 AM
Any news from MacWorld Expo?

Hullbr3ach
08-05-2002, 08:50 PM
Bump

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.