PDA

View Full Version : PaintFX display problem

eric3dee
04-19-2004, 11:06 PM
Ok- I'm using the white fur brush in the PaintFX brush library on OSX Maya5. I'm having 2 problems when I render-- one is that when the paintFX get farther away, parts seem to disappear- almost like an LOD type effect. Second- I have a few NURBS planes (textured with alpha channels) which pass in front of the paintFX-- except when they do- the render is still drawing the PaintFX on top of the planes as if you can see right through them just to the paintfx pieces. I could convert to polys, but that gets heavy real quickly. I'm fairly new to using PaintFX- anyone have any help here?

rollmops
04-20-2004, 01:11 PM
Hi!

Such a display problem happens also on unix and xp workstations.

First maya prefere a big amond of small strokes than one stroke with a huge sample density.

So you can allways isolate a small part of your brushes and convert it to poly. If you keep the history you'll quickly learn to adjust the brush to get the aspect you want. Then just make a "share one brush " with other brushes.

:cool:

eric3dee
04-20-2004, 03:13 PM
OK, I see. thanks.

Duncan
04-21-2004, 06:26 PM
Enabling paint effect oversample in the render globals may help. Also you could try increasing the brush stamp density and by the same factor the transparency1+2. Another approach might be to use the thin line brush method. You may also need to adjust the tube width1+2 when doing this.

Paint effects uses the depth buffer from the scanline render for occlusion. You can use the depthType and transparency threshold on the camera to determine a transparency at which your planes will appear in the depth buffer, obscuring and revealing paint effects. However you can not handle partial transparent occlusion of pfx without compositing.

Duncan

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.