PDA

View Full Version : A Sculptor

Pixolator
04-19-2004, 09:17 PM
Hi,
Evocative(ness) is an excellent idea for a forum and the kind of feedback I'd like to get on the following image -- what are your impressions (if you think it evokes any :) )?

http://209.132.69.82/uploaded_from_zbc/200404/user_image-1082404478etn.jpg

jawine
04-20-2004, 11:26 AM
To me it looks like they're all protecting themselves from something in the sky. But people are falling so it evokes a feeling of desperation in me :)

StephanD
04-20-2004, 11:58 AM
Pixolator(THE?) :)

For me,it evokes both pain and relief,weird hein?I don't know why,it's the feeling I get from it.

Nazgul
04-20-2004, 12:49 PM
Hey this is great!
How did you do that? Displacement maps?

My first impression is that it's like the representation of a slow shutter speed picture.. without the motion blur ;)

pretty!

bluemagicuk
04-20-2004, 01:53 PM
it "evoked" quite a good response here ... everyone was saying things like wow thats great .....
And "it reminds me of swan lake"
And "It reminds of playing twister with my girlfriend ;)"
It generated quite a good response :)

What software?

StephanD
04-20-2004, 02:01 PM
Could it be Zbrush? ;)

Splurgus
04-22-2004, 01:18 PM
Makes me think of those people they dug up in Pompeii. The ash grey colour helps.

flingster
04-27-2004, 12:27 PM
wow great image...i find it hard to say what to do interms of adding emotion as someone pointed out reminds me of pompeii bodies alot.

my only comment would be...the plinth they sit on...i would like to see a sort of ripple from the top middle...to falloff before it gets to the edge and so doesn't effect the edge...but characters would look like they sink into the plinth better.
i would also like to see an additional character raised off the plinth altogether maybe attached to the one on the left and extending out more over the side of the plinth would give more a feeling of interaction with the plinth and with the feelings of sinking into the plinth...and falling off the plinth...making the urgency of there situation more rushed and panicky if you get my meaning.

dunno if this helps or not...just throwing out an idea for you to mull over...
love the pic as it is...but does feel like the characters are just placed on the plinth atm.

Splurgus
04-30-2004, 10:42 AM
What also makes me think of Pompeii is how the figures are futily(?) raising their arms to protect themselves, but baring their sensitive throats adding to their hopelessness.

ssloan
05-03-2004, 07:11 PM
It definetly gives a feeling of depression, (no way out, certain death) reminds me of the aftermath of a volcano.
Great image here

Ilikesoup
05-20-2004, 04:43 PM
My first impression is that it's like the representation of a slow shutter speed picture.. without the motion blur ;)

I agree with Nazgul -- this appears to be the same character repeated in four successive poses. Looks like it could be interpretive dance, like a Martha Graham piece. Never gave much thoughts to plinths, but since flingster brought it up you might consider elongating the form to follow the flow of the piece (if it is indeed a motion study). Surprisingly, I'm growing attached to the stucco texture.

flingster
05-21-2004, 01:36 PM
kinda curious as to whether pixolator did any mods to this image???

codreanu
05-22-2004, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by flingster

my only comment would be...the plinth they sit on...i would like to see a sort of ripple from the top middle...to falloff before it gets to the edge and so doesn't effect the edge...but characters would look like they sink into the plinth better.

thats right
...the plinth is the only thing i dont like....its to much diferent from the bodys, so it looks like someone has accidently put thehem on it...

well the whole thing looks to me like a scene from an epic tale of a some great doomsday....
but since ther's no expresion on a faces they look peacefull.....like they have been awaiting this doomsday as a salvation.....

so maybe a screeming faces will help

SamChen
05-23-2004, 10:31 AM
Good job on the displacement and bump mapping along w/ lighting. I almost thought it was a photograph.

As for impression... it looks like, for lack of a better word... choreographed chaos.. as if they're reacting to something catastrophic that has descended down from the heavens. Love the tactile feel of the figures.

Keep it up!

aminuts
05-25-2004, 07:10 AM
I like the base, combined with the coolness of the lighting it's as if we are watching an aging, overacting (hahaha for some reason Joan Crawford comes to mind) ice skater skate her last solo performance. A moment captured in time like a snowglobe without the snow or the globe.

Well done pic and as usual I love your lighting. I only glanced at the thread on this at Zcentral and was impressed then but a month, a calmer evening, and the question led me to look a bit longer at it and think about it. A story emerges from it which is cool because a 1000 people will look and a 1000 stories will emerge.

A successful Sculpting! ;^)

Flog
05-26-2004, 05:25 PM
The day before they were having a great time at the Coliseum watching the athletes practice for the Olympics coming up later that year. A day like any other in the city of Pompei

The skies began to grow dark, the ground quaked, people began to panic, but in a moment the panic was over as the ash covered their bodies and brought them into silence, till the day they were unearthed to tell future generations the day Vesuvias erupted.

jrcsurvey
05-29-2004, 08:53 PM
Very attention getting and original.

Considering Evocative aspects:

Good things:

Over the top expressive surface texture together with over the top expressive poses. The liquid effect of the texture in contrast to its obvious tactility is very absorbing

Shifting profiles against the plain black ground. Intertwining of poses.

Simple and eerie blue light

It barely has the constituant elements of a scene, implying a larger reality the same way the conventions for viewing sculpture or dance does.

Bad things:

The figures sinking into the cylinder is an easy device

The plainess of the cylinder, again comes off as hoping to be neutral at best rather than making an active contribution. Its scale and shape just seem to detract, though the way it catches the warm light helps a lot. Untimately it seems too much an artifact of cg, rather than either a profoundly myterious or profoundly neutral element. It has to become something in order to become nothing.

emanimation
06-03-2004, 12:00 AM
What a powerful image!

Eman

rwijaya
06-03-2004, 12:29 AM
they looks like , . . . . been taking too much bad stuff lately ....maybe smokin to much joint or lsd . . . . . ? ? ?

BESTrin
06-07-2004, 08:02 PM
very nice. Has a post apocoliptic feel but the idea of pompei is realy kool. On the slow motion track where it would be a series of poses from of the same character what i see is she tries to get up but falls forward. The one on the left i dont realy like the pose as well though i cant put my finger on it. I like the idea that they were the victims of some natural disaster that they knew about but were powerless to prevent. Something having to do with fire as there skin is badly chared. They new their death was imminent but they could do nothing but cower. It is almost as though they are the dug up remains. Personally i would connect it to the atom bomb. Or hiroshema. The imense power in contrast to the frailty of man. You could play on the shadows of people being burned onto walls. Maybe the base could have a photorealistic texture of a concrete wall with char marks in a shape that could be barley made out as a human form. Great work pixolator. Zbrush is so amazing cant wait till i can get it.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.