PDA

View Full Version : Dragon painting in progress

timovihola
01-29-2002, 06:59 PM
I've been reading these forums for a long time (the new look is clear, I like it), and even registered weeks ago so I thought it's time to post somethin, better late than never :)

I have several paintings (I always have ;)) under progress.. and after working an hour or two (a total of about 4 hours) today on this. I'm satisfied enough to post it. I cropped the most unfinished parts away, you'll see them when the whole thing is done.

This is what I've got so far, slightly inspired by LoTR: http://www.mbnet.fi/~badgers/gallery/dragon.jpg

The sketch should give you a hunch of how the painting should look ready:

http://www.mbnet.fi/~badgers/gallery/dragon_sketch.jpg

illustr8rX
01-31-2002, 05:28 AM
don't think I'm weird, but I like it just as it is. A great character portrait of a dragon. Nice work. Let's see more pieces too. ok, I am wierd, but that has nothing to do with my liking this image... -don

muckywetnoodle
01-31-2002, 07:26 AM
nice work so far. It'd be nice to see some bands of light like you have in the background washing over the dragon as well. It looks like you have started to. It would be cool to see one silouhetted and one lit more.

TKD
02-02-2002, 04:10 AM
aikasta magee :D !!

timovihola
02-02-2002, 08:37 AM
It's (95%) ready, take a look above. Thanks for the comments, keep 'em coming, especially if you think something sucks in it and you have an idea how to make it better :)

illustr8rX: Thanks, there's more paintings on my website.

Muckywetnoodle: How do you like it now, any better? (I moved the lights over the head)

TKD: Kiitos :)

JacquesD
02-02-2002, 09:30 PM
I really like the mood of the first one.
Good work:)

muckywetnoodle
02-03-2002, 03:05 AM
Very nice! The light brings out your form better now too. One other thing that might help the red in the background is to hint at an entranceway or window/hole of some sort that the light is coming from. Just an idea but it's really cool as is.

Ed Lee
02-03-2002, 12:01 PM
That's nice pic of dragon.....the way it fades out is nicely done. Ed--

marioucci
02-04-2002, 11:20 AM
impressive.........most impressive......
and your online portfolio is beautiful.
congratulations!!!

timovihola
02-05-2002, 02:52 PM
The ripper and loganarts: Thanks a lot guys!

Muckywetnoodle: Glad you like the new version better than the old. Putting an entranceway is a good idea, but I think I don't have enough time to work on this piece.. there's so much I need to do, I really appreciate your help!

Eddie: Thanks :) Usually when I'm doing a pic for something I just shade everything nicely and keep the picture clean. The result looks unrealistic and takes 10 hours to do :)
So now I'm trying to develop a style that has as little rendering as possible (if I can get single value, texture or gradient to look good I'm very happy) and yet it should look realistic.. saves a lot of time and is hard to learn.

Nick Unden
02-07-2002, 06:27 AM
Very nice painting!!

It would be cool to see some more rays of light in the background, do your dragons have arms? (just an idea)

I also saw you site, very nice work, oil or acrylic? :D

Bobzworld
02-08-2002, 09:38 AM
wow, to cool :)

Raul-Reznek
02-09-2002, 07:14 PM
NIIIIIIIICE!!!!

timovihola
02-12-2002, 05:03 AM
Nick: He's like bat: the wings are arms, there's fingers and all :) .. the art on the website is all Photoshop.

Here's a newer image inspired by LoTR, this time it's an actual location of the book:

http://www.mbnet.fi/~badgers/gallery/mordor.jpg

Nick Unden
02-13-2002, 12:43 PM
Photoshop... cool!! :cool: Very impressive, keep up the good work!

Ever try any traditional painting? (oil/acrylic on canvas?)

Sangotten
02-13-2002, 03:43 PM
Damn man, your work is absolutly beautyfull! Those details are great! The clouds around the vulcano are done nice.

Jediknight
02-13-2002, 06:38 PM
wow. Those pics look outstanding. Love it. No critics from me, beautiful work.

seantree
02-25-2002, 03:55 PM
just love LoTR inspired works. yours are great, i take it the second pic is of Mordor?? keep'em comin

timovihola
02-27-2002, 02:21 PM
Worked some more on the dragon pic :

http://www.mbnet.fi/~badgers/gallery/dragon_new.jpg

Nick, I did two or three oil paintings last year and one is under progress..

Sangotten and Jediknight: Thanks!

Seantree- Yep, it's Mount Doom.

TKD
02-28-2002, 09:56 PM
You have done some nice progres on the painting there :D

hehe.. I just realised how HUGE it was compared to the little town
on his feet! NICE one !

Vinícius
03-01-2002, 12:23 AM
Beautiful paintings! The clouds above the mountain are impressive!

Don't you think that painting, results in a more atractive picture than 3D (compared to things we are seeing actually)? I like 3D, but i'm thinking seriously about paint over my renders, the final piece could look better than the 'raw' 3D.

;)

JoBbE
03-01-2002, 01:15 AM
wonderful work man! I like the huge dragon and the overall style! keep it up and give us more beautiful paintings! :)

Sandman
03-01-2002, 02:47 AM
hey ..thats looks pretty cool ..keep up the good work :)

Nick Unden
03-24-2002, 03:22 PM
I just recently posted a 3D model of a Dragon, and wanted to know your opinion, since you're very good at Dragons.

It's in the 3D artwork section.

Henrik Hörlin
03-24-2002, 10:46 PM
Damn oh Damn that IS nice!:)
I must say that I liked the first dragonpic better. I´m thinking about making that one my desktop picture!
Maybee some (soon to be toast) adventurers culd stand on the ground in front of him to get a grip on the scale of him (or her?).
Or maybee in backlight of the second picture.
LOVE IT!!!
:buttrock: :drool:

Henrik Hörlin
03-24-2002, 10:58 PM
I´m so SORRY!!!
I didn´t see that it was... a small city. :o
I thought he was in a cave or something... :rolleyes: that wasn´t finished. NOW when I see the picture as it was ment to be... Yes I like the second one better...
I had the reflection of a lamp in my monitor... it´s turned of now.
He´s mighty big isnt he!
Still if the sun has cleared the horizon by that much... shuldn´t the sun light up the landscape more?
Keep the light and lower the sun. IMO.
:)

diazgl
03-25-2002, 02:06 AM
i am a bit unfitting here, since I am not that great (i suck) at drawing, but your painting is AMAZING. I would DEFINITELY want that as a poster in my room!!!!

timovihola
03-25-2002, 03:50 AM
I didn't expect any more replies on this, but I was positively suprised when I saw all these encouraging posts! Thanks a lot guys, you keep my inspiration high!

And Nick, take a look at your thread ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.