PDA

View Full Version : Machineflesh 2D Challenge Entry: Edwin Rhemrev

rhemrev
04-19-2004, 08:09 AM
Edwin Rhemrev has entered the Machineflesh 2D Challenge.

rhemrev
04-21-2004, 07:54 PM
Hey there,

I finally got some of my ideas sketched out on my way to work today.

I've already seen some very interesting and good concepts here on the boards for this contest, so I'm really trying to push myself to at least come up with an interesting concept, which ofcourse is visually interesting aswell.

My concept: I wanted to draw a big chamber full of incubation hatches of somesort (kinda like matrix), with one big mother-like being in the middle that nurtures all the hatchlings. She's herself is actually quite a big creature, that's attached to all hatchlings through numerous lifelines. Additional idea is that she preys upon anything she comes across, to feed her children.

My first idea was to have her coming at the viewer, with claws drawn to attack anyone who enters the womb. But since I"ve once been taught that good characterdesign should tell a story (instead of being just a cool picture), I went with the layout on the left, to emphasize the mother/hatchling r elationship. Here a hatchling has just hatched, and meets its mother for the first time.

http://www.sandking.com/images/gallery/124_machineflesh.jpg

I'll probably do some more layouts 'n stuff, let me know what ya think of the concept sofar (so I can tweak it), thnx.

-Edwin

Squibbit
04-21-2004, 09:18 PM
for example you could make it Matrix , not kinda Matrix.

The Mother would be a freed program -a learning program-
in a robot body . It would exist both outside and inside a
matrix . I said a matrix cause this one would be more like
the training programs or simulations and not the actual
Matrix . The Mother would've escaped Matrix and would not
re-enter . It would only send spy programs and her "children"
there . The children would be people she's taken from Matrix.
Her spy programs find a suitable person and inform her.
She sends a robot creation of hers to sabotage the "womb"
of the person outside the Matrix . The person then gets
"flushed" as in the movie and mother collects the person and
brings the person to her lair . There she learns what she can
of the person and then sends the person back in the Matrix
to gather more intel. The people "flushed" might remember
the "flush" as only a bad dream .They would then be plugged
in the Mother's "demiplane" program and could enter the
Matrix from there .
Umm , you can invent the rest or something totally different ,
but I also want to say that think about the mother killing
creatures who stumble into the lair and then feeding the
children with the slain . This would have to happen a lot
in order to feed all the children . What else would the children
eat ? could they eat everything the mother brought them ?
how ? In addition to claws she could have a ranged attack , or
a smokescreen or some such for defense.
?
and yea this idea of yours seems pretty good , at least it
inspired me to think about it a bit :p

k , bye now , have fun ! :thumbsup:

rhemrev
04-22-2004, 07:49 AM
Hey, thnx for the extensive feedback man, appreciate it! I don't want to attatch my concept too much to the matrix, since then I may get into trouble with copyrights 'n stuff if I decide to use this image for whatever commercial reasons.

About the mother needing to feed her children: I did touch upon that subject already (read my first post), but I hadn't really thought about how she would physically get her prey, besides the claws ofcourse. Beside cool looking claws, I'm gonna see what I can do to come up with a cool 'attack' for her, maybe some cool tentacles or something....:)

Thnx again for the feedback, stuff like this is what I'm looking for, additional ideas that get my creative juices flowing and pushing me to make the concept even cooler....and that's what this is all about afterall! :D

-Edwin

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.