PDA

View Full Version : XSI 4.0 at NAB

Renderman_XSI
04-19-2004, 03:35 AM
http://www.xsibase.com/news.php?detail=916

New XSI Foundation level! nice. cant wait to see more info about XSI 4.0

"SOFTIMAGE|XSI version 4.0 includes the following breakthrough components:
Customization & Workflow
- The new Custom Display Host (CDH) exposes the core of the SOFTIMAGE|XSI software to external applications, tools, or custom run-time engines.
- The XML-based UI engine gives technical directors centralized per-scene control with scriptable Table of Contents, scenario-specific Relational Views, and configurable interface layouts.

Modeling & Animation
- Integrated into the standard mesh modeling environment, Subdivision Surfaces in SOFTIMAGE|XSI v.4.0 easily propagate texture coordinates, vertex colors, weights, and shapes across any and all modifications.
- The character animation system provides new advanced biped, quadruped, and hybrid rig systems and a rich Character SDK for customizing character rig creation, animation, and editing.

Effects
- The professional FX Tree compositor, based on Eddie® and Media Illusion(tm) technology, now features 2-D raster and vector based resolution-independent paint tools based on the legendary Matador TM technology.
- All simulation effects within SOFTIMAGE|XSI v.4.0 share the same integrated forces and dynamics environment, so hair and fur, dynamic constraints, particles, fluids, cloth, and new Rigid & Soft Body Dynamics all work together seamlessly and are easily created and controlled.

Rendering & Processing
- The advanced XSI RenderCore plug-in architecture allows for multiple rendering methods and can host custom plug-in renderers, views, and display engines.
- The new high-quality SOFTIMAGE|XSI graphic synthesizer (Xgs) ensures high fidelity between in-context visual feedback and final production output.
- Version 4.0 also includes the innovative BatchServe web-based processing and rendering queue management system.

Pricing & Availability
SOFTIMAGE|XSI v.4.0 is available immediately in the following configurations:
* SOFTIMAGE|XSI v.4.0 Foundation is available for $1,995 USMSRP from the Softimage Website (www.softimage.com/store . This model includes everything an individual artist or large workgroup needs for 3-D realism, with extensive polygon modeling tools, industry-leading Subdivision Surfaces and the revolutionary SOFTIMAGE|XSI toolset. The product also offers a wealth of standard scripting languages, advanced Real-Time Shaders, and a workgroup-aware production framework running on floating licenses, enabling users to use multiple systems.

* SOFTIMAGE|XSI v.4.0 Essentials is available for $3,995 USMSRP from authorized Softimage resellers. This model is a powerful, customizable professional-grade package with all the features and functions required by today\'s artists and technical directors, including new, industry leading Rigid & Soft Body Dynamics, the advanced character rig systems and SDK, and the revolutionary Custom Display Host. The broad range of workforce management tools in SOFTIMAGE|XSI Essentials is designed for maximum production efficiency and even greater control of 3-D content creation.

* SOFTIMAGE|XSI v.4.0 Advanced is available for $8,995 USMSRP from authorized Softimage resellers. This model is the premier VFX package, featuring deep customization features and flexibility. With an expansive feature set that includes professional compositing, resolution independent paint, hair, and fur; and unparalleled rendering power, SOFTIMAGE|XSI Advanced is the most complete end-to-end 3-D production solution for film, games, and full-service commercial and post houses.

The Softimage Production Series, an entire suite of DVD training materials focused on real-world production situations, is available for version 4.0 customers from the Softimage Web site (www.softimage.com/store )."

peanuckle
04-19-2004, 03:57 AM
sweeeett.....:)

breaks out the old checkbook.

wmendez
04-19-2004, 04:30 AM
Good Times! :cool:

Renderman_XSI
04-19-2004, 04:35 AM
i wonder if Syflex has been intergrated and kaboom! :bowdown:
Overall im very happy with XSI 4.0 from what is made public. Knife tool for one..awesome, worth is weight in gold.

Heber
04-19-2004, 05:49 AM
sweet deal , cant wait for this to be released! , i been hearing about it for so long , as for syflex being integrated i doubt it , xsicloth works great , i think they would just try and make it better rather than ditch that whole module and statrt from scratch, i think what we need is something like max's reactor, for dynamics, oooh maybe next version , xsi just keeps getting better and better :)

JDex
04-19-2004, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by Renderman_XSI
Pricing & Availability
SOFTIMAGE|XSI v.4.0 is available immediately in the following configurations:

Shouldn't have to wait to long... the SI online store says it is updating with new products this very min.

Renderman_XSI
04-19-2004, 06:22 AM
Cloth in 3.5 wasnt any faster or better than Syflex for XSI. But if they improve on there own cloth, thats fine too.

I was just at the cgtalk Maya forum, alot of people complaining about Maya 6. I feel for the Mac users who still didnt get a Unlimited version of Maya. But honestly, i dont think many if any XSI user is gonna complain about XSI 4.0.

JDex, i been clicking on that link for an hour now..still nothing ..:cry:

BTW, does Maya 6 have MR 3.3 also?? just curious.

JDex
04-19-2004, 06:32 AM
BTW, does Maya 6 have MR 3.3 also?? just curious.

So says the MR3.3 thread at the base...

something very interesting if true...

The software delivers up to eight free Satellite tile-based distributed rendering tokens per license, allowing artists to take advantage of accelerated render regions or multi-CPU renders of a single frame without purchasing additional rendering licenses.

big-ole W00T! :buttrock:

kamil_w
04-19-2004, 10:17 AM
>>BTW, does Maya 6 have MR 3.3 also?? just curious.

Yes, of course.

>>I was just at the cgtalk Maya forum, alot of people complaining about Maya 6

Those ppl don`t know what they want. Flashy stuff or improvements.

I wouldn`t even call them M users at all.

Played with Maya 6 and IMO it`s awesome.

tachy0n
04-19-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by kamil_w

Well i for one am glad that Maya is being constantly improved. At the very least it forces XSI to strive to always remain 2 steps ahead. Just look at the new version..

:thumbsup:

RmachucaA
04-19-2004, 12:27 PM
Well said. :applause: :thumbsup:

StephanD
04-19-2004, 12:43 PM
2000$ is an extremely affordable price,compared to what I heard SI cost in the past,I'm definitely buying that version as soon as I find a job(thanks to exp and Ed).

I know I'm anticipating alot but Softimage has done so much for me and knowing it still can do alot more is a dream come true.

Sorry for hijacking subject

RmachucaA:You work at Soft? hehe what do you do?

Dan Wade
04-19-2004, 12:53 PM
custom plug-in renderers support? That mean Renderman is on the cards soon?

version
04-19-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by StephanD
2000$ is an extremely affordable price,compared to what I heard SI cost in the past,I'm definitely buying that version as soon as I find a job(thanks to exp and Ed).

I know I'm anticipating alot but Softimage has done so much for me and knowing it still can do alot more is a dream come true.

Sorry for hijacking subject

RmachucaA:You work at Soft? hehe what do you do?

It sure is, very nice price point. One thing though, it'd be nicer still, if they just lowered the essentials price, and used that instead of foundation.

policarpo
04-19-2004, 02:37 PM
Anyone in the know know what essential tools Foundation might be missing? I'm a print designer who has always lusted for XSI, so this entry point is very attractive.

Great work Softimage!!:beer:

EdHarriss
04-19-2004, 02:42 PM
Looks like a lot of fun. :)

Grgeon
04-19-2004, 03:06 PM
This is super cool. Does anyone know if the Foundation version comes with the animation tools? or is it just modeling?

Can't wait!

George

JDex
04-19-2004, 03:29 PM
Foundation Details (http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/v4/pricing/default.asp?pkg=foundation)

version
04-19-2004, 04:17 PM
Just checked the price for the Uk pricing of foundation, £1400, pretry damn sweet. Combine that with the upgrade features, and it's a really attractive deal.

version
04-19-2004, 04:30 PM
Has anyone figured out the differences in the packages?

fwahhhh
04-19-2004, 05:10 PM
Wow. All mention of good old Soft3D has been pulled from Softimage's site. Rest in peace.

On a positive note, it looks like Syflex is indeed fully integrated with XSI 4.0.

http://www.softimage.com/home/Press/PressReleases/040418_NAB_syflex.htm

How cool. This is Nerd Christmas.

leigh
04-19-2004, 06:41 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah yeeeaaaaahh! :drool:

Looks great!

*goes to organise update*

Kevin Albers
04-19-2004, 07:29 PM
It looks like foundation comes with little or no advanced animation, and the same with particle systems. It does have the cloth simulation, which is good and a bit of a surprise to me. Seems like an amazing deal, as long as your not an animator or doing full cinematics etc.
I drool. I'm tempted to buy it today, by the gods!

StefanA
04-19-2004, 08:12 PM
what's missing from foundation is

* rigid/soft body simulation
* hair system
* advanced Syflex cloth
* FXtree

I think that's it. A really good option for ~$2000 if you ask me.

regards

stefan andersson

version
04-19-2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by StefanA
what's missing from foundation is

That is perfect for me, since I only model, and texture, that's such a cool way to package the software.

Happy days indeed.

Renderman_XSI
04-19-2004, 11:05 PM
>>BTW, does Maya 6 have MR 3.3 also?? just curious.

Yes, of course.

>>I was just at the cgtalk Maya forum, alot of people complaining about Maya 6

Those ppl don`t know what they want. Flashy stuff or improvements.

I wouldn`t even call them M users at all.

I used to be a Maya user myself, had same complaints about Maya back since version 3-4. They were slow to adapt ..so i move on to bigger and better things(XSI). Look at XSI 4.0.,Now XSI has a faster cloth system than Maya :drool:

Just wait until 4.5, they probably introduce 3D painting, and fluid dynamics.

Whos really listening to their community? Most of the things we XSI user have wanted has been address in XSI 4.0, not bad for a .5 release. I cant say the same for Maya.

The Maya user i feel sorry for is, the Maya users on the Mac, they have YET to have a Unlimited version of Maya that fully takes advantage of the Mac architecture.

Some of the things that i look forward to using, the new advance real time shader :drool:

the knife tool!, and some of the other patented features in XSI 4.0.

UV unwrapping!! Matador!! Syflex :drool: :drool:

Theres ALOT of improvements in XSI 4.0 thats not listed on the site yet.

wmendez
04-19-2004, 11:19 PM
Theres ALOT of improvements in XSI 4.0 thats not listed on the site yet.

That is for sure.

FKMaster
04-19-2004, 11:39 PM
XSi for 2000 and shake3.5 linux down to 5000bucks !:cool:

now i can die with peace and harmony ;)

tachy0n
04-20-2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by FKMaster
XSi for 2000 and shake3.5 linux down to 5000bucks !:cool:

now i can die with peace and harmony ;)

Once you get a taste of XSI, you won't wan't to die :applause:

And even the price of the more expensive XSI versions makes great sense now. Syflex alone makes up for it.. it costs $2200 per license !!

fwahhhh
04-20-2004, 04:51 AM
Now I suppose I'm just a confused little man, but is BatchServe INCLUDED with the Advanced version of 4.0? As in, I don't have to shell out $500 for a license of BatchServe itself?

This entire upgrade seems a little too good to be true.

SheepFactory
04-20-2004, 05:38 AM
batchserve is included with all three packages.

Shinova
04-20-2004, 07:38 AM
Somehow I must grab a hold of version 4. Somehow....

*starts plotting to rob nearest bank*

kamil_w
04-20-2004, 08:58 AM
>>Now XSI has a faster cloth system than Maya

I wonder if it will force Alias to include their newest cloth engine in Maya soon. (which, at least form the demos, blows everything else)

pimeto
04-20-2004, 09:42 AM
i dunno but did you saw that thing :)

XSI vs Maya (http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/v4/XSIvsMaya/)

version
04-20-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Shinova
Somehow I must grab a hold of version 4. Somehow....

*starts plotting to rob nearest bank*

Yeah, I know how you feel. I'l need to wait until after summer to buy it too; moving to Australia in June/July so everything is on hold till then.

But this new price is just terific,, I can afford to have my own personal license at last.

StephanD
04-20-2004, 12:02 PM
I'm personally even more motivated than before to get a good cg job and finally own Xsi,or get owned(nah!I'm not biased) ;)

EdHarriss
04-20-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by fwahhhh
Now I suppose I'm just a confused little man, but is BatchServe INCLUDED with the Advanced version of 4.0? As in, I don't have to shell out $500 for a license of BatchServe itself?

This entire upgrade seems a little too good to be true.

It is even better than that. You get BatchServe for free with Foundation (http://www.softimage.com/Products/Xsi/v4/pricing/default.asp?pkg=foundation), Essentials (http://www.softimage.com/Products/Xsi/v4/pricing/default.asp?pkg=ess) and Advanced (http://www.softimage.com/Products/Xsi/v4/pricing/default.asp?pkg=adv).

tachy0n
04-20-2004, 12:45 PM
>>Now XSI has a faster cloth system than Maya

I wonder if it will force Alias to include their newest cloth engine in Maya soon. (which, at least form the demos, blows everything else)

Any links to said demos ?

Personally i'd bank my money on Syflex (for XSI or Maya) Let's face it, Alias seem to have gone from a cutting edge product, to a 'me-too' one.

kamil_w
04-20-2004, 01:02 PM
>>Any links to said demos ?

It was shown here and there (last time at some conference in Europe on RT simulations)

It has been developed by Jos Stam - the same guy behind fluids.

He gave some demos @AGUA 2003.

>>...Alias seem to have gone from a cutting edge product, to a 'me-too' one.

Not only.

Retarget solver.

HW rendering in viewports.

Hair (dynamic curve creation system)

IMO Alias had to improved existing features before adding flashy ones.

Tellerve
04-20-2004, 05:35 PM
wait, do you get syflex cloth with all of them or just the advanced? It doesn't make any sense to be in the foundation, and is a bit hard to swallow in the essentials.

ed, thoughts?

Tellerve

StefanA
04-20-2004, 05:53 PM
Syflex is only with the "Advanced" version. But there will be an option to extend the "Essensials" and "Foundation" license to add the Syflex addon.

best regards

stefan andersson

EdHarriss
04-20-2004, 07:23 PM
Even though you don't get Syflex free with anything but XSI advanced, you can still use the cloth that comes with XSI. Which is much better than not having any cloth at all. (XSI cloth comes free with all three versions.)

qba3d
04-21-2004, 12:05 AM
hellou!
a great day for me - XSI price droped...
IHA!
Well - did anyone found out anything about that material editor?
Is it something like material library - or does it alow you to store all the materials , shaders, textures from the scene and mix them in other render trees?? like multilister in maya?
... jus wandering - no shader preview there yet , but its a good start for working out any (if there are) issues with shading in XSI...

Q.
I love XSI...soon

tachy0n
04-21-2004, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by qba3d
Well - did anyone found out anything about that material editor?
Is it something like material library - or does it alow you to store all the materials , shaders, textures from the scene and mix them in other render trees?? like multilister in maya?
... jus wandering - no shader preview there yet , but its a good start for working out any (if there are) issues with shading in XSI...

Yes it does seem to work like that, though of course we'll only know for sure when the detailed feature list is out.

And don't worry about the shaderballs that much. They aren't that big a deal, and if you do wan't them, there are ways to simulate them even in XSI 3.5

qba3d
04-21-2004, 12:35 AM
well yes -i`m awere of that - but would be nice!
Thanks!

ehh time to sleep...
Ciao,
Q.

DragonKore
04-21-2004, 02:04 AM
I'm still trying to get over the fact that the academic license is permanent and only $295(for Advanced). I'm stunned.

doctorbob
04-21-2004, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by EdHarriss
It is even better than that. You get BatchServe for free with Foundation (http://www.softimage.com/Products/Xsi/v4/pricing/default.asp?pkg=foundation), Essentials (http://www.softimage.com/Products/Xsi/v4/pricing/default.asp?pkg=ess) and Advanced (http://www.softimage.com/Products/Xsi/v4/pricing/default.asp?pkg=adv).

um, *really* confused here... on the batchServe product page (http://www.softimage.com/Products/ProRen/BatchS/) it says:

The BatchServe v.1.5.3 server software is included on the SOFTIMAGE|XSI v.4.0 distribution CD, but you must purchase a license to able to run it.

so, do you get the software for free, but not the license to use it (which seems to be the current situation with v3.x)?

any enlightenment appreciated...

chris g

substrauss
04-21-2004, 12:07 PM
I have to agree with Alias losing their position. With Softimage's excessively hip marketing and aggressive pricing, it's really only a matter of time before it becomes _the_ CG application. The only app that I see possibly matching up to it in integration is Lightwave, and price will really matter between the two, since Lightwave can do a lot of things XSI can. 8.0 is out very soon, and we'll see how they compare.

StephanD
04-21-2004, 12:12 PM
I'd personally think it's a BiG test for LW and the place they may take/keep.

SheepFactory
04-21-2004, 01:15 PM
why is everyone so obsessed with shader balls when you have this thing called render region.

Theo Diamantis
04-21-2004, 01:53 PM
Hey doctorbob,
BatchServe comes for FREE with ALL versions of XSI. There was an error on the BatchServe page, it has been corrected. Sorry for any confusion

Theo Diamantis
Softimage.com

JDex
04-21-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Sheep Factory
why is everyone so obsessed with shader balls when you have this thing called render region.

The only time I think true RT shader balls would be helpful is when applying and adjusting procedurals. It is a time sink to have to plug the proc_node into the material, wait for render region... adjust... wait for render region, adjust... wait for... ahh well you get it. If there was just a little RT shaderball in the PPG I would be cool w/ that. otherwise, it is just a not-so-needed luxury. ;)

StephanD
04-21-2004, 03:03 PM
But,wouldn't you have to wait for it to render as well in the ppg or is it supposed to be automatic?

If it's not,I don't see a difference apart that with render region,you can additionally see the object you're making and how the light behaves on it...You just need a good machine,which isn't my case(p3) but still prefer to do so.

I guess it's a matter of preference.

tachy0n
04-21-2004, 03:43 PM
IMO it's more of a habit thing... A long while back someone (i think it was 3dsmax r3) came up with the bright idea of having material previews. But because of the hardware limits of those days, a sphere was all they could render in reasonable amounts of time, ie a couple of seconds. Hence the shaderball... More of a convention then anything else now.

version
04-21-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by StephanD
But,wouldn't you have to wait for it to render as well in the ppg or is it supposed to be automatic?

It'd probably less hassle to see a quick preview in the Mat. editor, than to set up the render region to just update the relevent object's material.

I can't say I really need, or use shaderball previews, but for procedural textures it could be handy.

JDex
04-21-2004, 05:23 PM
Well on the occasions I installed the Max demos... the shader ball was instantaneous... it didn't have shadows/arealights/volume_effects and other such slow downs to deal with... just click and BAM! preview.

TheLostVertex
04-22-2004, 12:45 AM
*Begins filling out order form*

The construction mode looks like a nice new addition to me.

That and the rigid body dynamics has me happy :drool:

tachy0n
04-22-2004, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by JDex
Well on the occasions I installed the Max demos... the shader ball was instantaneous... it didn't have shadows/arealights/volume_effects and other such slow downs to deal with... just click and BAM! preview.

How i do this in XSI is to have a seperate, simplified pass just for testing the materials and switch on the 'render selected' option for the render region. That gives almost the same speed of feedback without having to guess just what the material is gonna actually look like.

Hullbr3ach
04-23-2004, 05:44 AM
Has the issue with having to use a fixed version of the C libraries on Linux been fixed?

fez
04-23-2004, 06:28 AM
XSI 4 looks amazing. I am a longtime lightwaver, so the construction mode offers the Modeler/Layout workflow I have been waiting for. Will XSI 4 work with Windows 2000?

tachy0n
04-23-2004, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by fez
XSI 4 looks amazing. I am a longtime lightwaver, so the construction mode offers the Modeler/Layout workflow I have been waiting for. Will XSI 4 work with Windows 2000?

Perfectly ! In fact probably better then under WinXP default settings :shrug:

j3st3r
04-24-2004, 03:25 PM
I`m glad, that I suggested to my game dev company to replace our Maya pipeline for character stuff with XSI pipeline.

I made few tests with the EXP and HL2 versions, and I am totally satisfied. I`ve checked almost all aspects of character pipeline (being a character lead), and I can tell, that XSI beats Maya on every field (OK, UV is better in Maya, than in the above mentioned versions of XSI, but I think XSI4 can do well). )Now we gonna order our seat.

Great work guys!

colintheys
04-24-2004, 09:12 PM
Hey,

I'm totally new to XSI. I'm a student and am definately drawn by the price of advanced for students. It's hard to resist. :) However, I know almost nothing about the program and want to test out EXP before I decide to buy or not. Seeing as only v3 is available now, I was wondering if any regular softimage users have an estimate of how long it takes to release an EXP version after the normal release? I'm looking to get a new app by mid May. Should I wait for EXP 4? or just learn 3. How different are they?

Thanks
-Colin Theys

bmwolf
04-27-2004, 03:02 AM
i'd say just get the HL2 exp it is basically v3.5. i don't know if they will even release exp 4.0 for a long while. it's been 3.0 exp for the whole time the full 3.5 version was out. i imagine that you'll be fine learning 3.5 then switching to 4.0. i assume most of the core workflow will transfer over. honestly though i am new to xsi as well so take what i say with a grain of salt.

j3st3r
04-27-2004, 04:44 AM
XSI 4 has many improvement. I`m sure, that until you purchase 4 any of the EXPs will do for learning the workflow in XSI.

Great choice, anyway!

quid
04-28-2004, 07:36 AM
Does anyone know if it will support 64 bit cpus?

TheLostVertex
04-29-2004, 11:28 AM
I know mentalray will come in its own 64bit variant, but for xsi its self I have seen or heard no such thing. Doesnt mean it wont happen, but I havent heard anything about a 64bit xsi.

Sorry...but if you have a 64bit prosessor, I dont have any sympathy....I want one :bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.