PDA

View Full Version : Shake 3.5 and Motion

beaker
04-19-2004, 01:25 AM
Looks like the rumored shake lite/after effects killer. Only $299, but it's mac only. It's not node based though.

http://www.apple.com/motion

http://www.apple.com/shake/

Byla
04-19-2004, 07:32 AM
Uff, heaps of new stuff from Apple.... that is cool, shame that Motion is not Linux avaliable or something.

parallax
04-19-2004, 10:14 AM
I was very impressed by that press release. Motion might change the way how bread & butter motion graphics are created, and more importantly, After Effects users might have to rethink their strategies.

Any thoughts on this?

klingspor
04-19-2004, 04:27 PM
Hmmm... "Motion" does look interesting and I'm sure it's going to be a solid piece of software... but sadly they're not going to release it on Windows, so many After Effects users willing to buy/use Motion would have to switch to Apple completely - something I (and many others) are simply unwilling to do.

On an unrelated note, how will Adobe take to this? They've already removed Premiere from the Mac due to FinalCut, will After Effects be next?

beaker
04-19-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by stefanminning
On an unrelated note, how will Adobe take to this? They've already removed Premiere from the Mac due to FinalCut, will After Effects be next?
Adobe doesn't really do stuff out of spite(its bad for business), they do it because of money. Premiere only had a 10% user base on mac which made it pretty easy to kill(not making enough, or much money to pay for its development.). Afterfx has a 50% userbase on mac so I doubt they will be killing it anytime soon. Thats alot of users and alot of money loss if they did.

FKMaster
04-20-2004, 12:23 AM
apple3.5 update rocks:thumbsup: .....
the features---> ive waiting for.... :drool:
http://a240.g.akamai.net/7/240/51/c094947c553dfd/www.apple.com/shake/pdf/L302900A_Shake_PO.pdf

and the best:
shake for linux only 5000bucks !!:bounce:

beaker
04-20-2004, 01:15 AM
Yea, thats awsome, and the Mac version went down in price too. It's only 3k now. That lower linux price also means the nongui version is only $2,000 now instead of $3900. Makes licenses for rendering alot cheaper.

Sherif.Nagib
04-20-2004, 06:42 AM
another layer-based.. man I wanna evolve for those so-called top-notch node-based packages, with all those wires & spider web scripts :)

but anyway, as u said.. with a price like this it's AE killer .

arvid
04-20-2004, 10:57 AM
Which company did they buy to get hold of "Motion" ?

beaker
04-20-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by opacity
Which company did they buy to get hold of "Motion" ?
It looks like it is based on Rayz, Shake and FCP technology. The Shake team in Santa Monica almost tripled in size but the amount of new features in Shake have not, so I am guessing this is what many of them were working on. I always heard wispers around town about ex-Rayz and Shake people working on some secret software for Apple that none would discuss. I'm guessing this is it.

arvid
04-20-2004, 09:57 PM
Sounds likely.. More cheap toys for the FCP-editors I suppose, so how much competition are they expecting to wipe out without a windows or linux version?

Randle
04-27-2004, 01:21 PM
Excuse me, anybody heard about Cinema4D & Shake integration?

dg
04-27-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Randle
Excuse me, anybody heard about Cinema4D & Shake integration?

What type of integration do you mean?

As for Motion it really look amazing, I just wish Apple release it for Linux at least, even tho I know that it won't happen.

Shake is without questions a great app, and the new version 3.5 brings some pretty neat features, but what I'm really looking foward is [di:p] R-evolution, made by some of the guys of the good old 5D, and specially for being a highend system with a freelancer version, that will rock!

Check the press release (http://www.di-p.com/)

Cheers,
dg

beaker
04-27-2004, 11:20 PM
They don't say much in the press release, but it sounds like Speedgrade. What did they show at NAB? Their press release is about as vague as you can be.

Randle
04-28-2004, 11:30 AM
I mean integration Maxon Cinema4D and Apple Shake.
Like integtration Maxon Cinema4D with Adobe After Effects.
Is it possible?

Byla
04-28-2004, 12:57 PM
As far as I know, Shake 3.5 can import PSD files. Layered. And that would indirectly mean that Cinema would export PSD files with compositing layers and Shake would just have to import them. In theory. Haven't tried that yet, maybe next week, too buissy :) .

Otherwise, Cinema can not export ready and finished Shake compositions like it does for After Effects.

mikemarcus
05-04-2004, 12:46 PM
> I mean integration Maxon Cinema4D and Apple Shake.

I supose that you would render out passes or images with cinema 4D, the same as you would with maya/houdini/3dsmax and composite them with shake.

Mananetwork
05-05-2004, 11:23 AM
Isn't Adobe pissed now that apple released a motiongraphics program for apple? I mean AfterFX was a leading program for motiongraphics on apple.. If I was Adobe I would stop making all there products for apple.. *MUAHAHA* i wanna see apple suffer!

I suffered when apple stopped making shake for windows.. :cry:

Mananetwork
05-05-2004, 11:30 AM
I was just going through motion on the apple site and look what i stumbled on

After Effects Plug-ins
Use your favorite third party plug-ins for After Effects.

AHAHAH.. They should rewrite that to something like

Why use After Effects when you can load them into Motion and use them here!

:rolleyes:

beaker
05-05-2004, 06:05 PM
People keep saying "oh adobe is going to drop AE on mac". That is that stupidest thing I have ever heard.

First, many applications use AE plugins: Combustion, DF, Commotion, Borris Red, FCP, etc... Second, software is about making MONEY! Why would Adobe drop AE for mac simply because of a little comptition. 50% of their userbase for AE is on mac, which is like 50k+ people. That would be pretty stupid to just dump 50k paying licenses simply because someone steps on your toes.

klinker
05-24-2004, 12:12 PM
That is that stupidest thing I have ever heard.

i am sure you heard other more stupid things ;)
does motion supports aeplugins?

dmeyer
05-24-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by klinker

does motion supports aeplugins?

Yes.

real
05-24-2004, 08:53 PM
I would it is good for adobe, give them some competition in the Motion graphic world. But then Again Quark has competition with Indesign but Quark hasn't gotten any better(this comes from talking with people who used to use quark and got sick of it and moved to Indesign). I hope everyone makes there products better and really competes for who has the best features, tool set and what not. That would be great.:thumbsup:

Eley
07-07-2004, 03:14 PM
I pretty much make a living out of after effects,nevertheless there are some things i would love to see improved, and a little competition might be the best way to get adobe to push a better product. Anywyas, Motion looks pretty interesting, i guess i'm gonna give it a shot, cuz seriously, how many people here stick to one and only one app? there's always something one app can do better than the other, and that competition between software vendors benefits us as artists, anywyas...just a thought

opus13
07-11-2004, 02:33 AM
People keep saying "oh adobe is going to drop AE on mac". That is that stupidest thing I have ever heard.

First, many applications use AE plugins: Combustion, DF, Commotion, Borris Red, FCP, etc... Second, software is about making MONEY! Why would Adobe drop AE for mac simply because of a little comptition. 50% of their userbase for AE is on mac, which is like 50k+ people. That would be pretty stupid to just dump 50k paying licenses simply because someone steps on your toes.
why would they drop it? simple. money.

not necesarily now.. but later. motion costs $300.00. when motion starts to saturate the market adobe will come out with an upgrade that will cost.. about $300.00. you have a cutting edge application built by people with serious market credentials aiming to make an afx killer. i am willing to bet they will succeed. when you think about upgrading your software why would you go with afx, when you can get a next gen mac native platform for your motion graphic needs? why would you bother upgrading a platform that needs a serious overhaul?

apple is smart, you can already use your favorite plugins in motion, they will have full sets of keyboard shortcuts that mimic after effects, and im sure it will allow you to bring in your afx projects without dropping a beat. i am sure they will make any transition as enjoyable and easy as possible. adobe will lose users. not now, but later. the sales will dwindle and it will be another 10% market not worth updating.

apple is aiming straight for the afx market, and they will hit. they have a fresh codebase to work with, and all of the wants and wishes of an entire user base at their disposal. unless adobe has a killer app/upgrade up their sleeve, they wont be able to compete on a mac in 2 years time.

beaker
07-11-2004, 06:03 AM
It's still too early to tell. 50k people is alot to convert over to another app. Especially when they have been using it for 10 years. Maya has done some serious hut to 3dsmax when they lowered the price, but it is still around and doing fine.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.