PDA

View Full Version : Booleans & Extrudes...

Gurbs
04-19-2004, 12:04 AM
Hello everyone!

This is my first post on CGTalk, so I don´t know exactly where to put my doubts on modelling... I hope this is the right place!

Well... I´m very new to 3dsmax... Althought I played with it a lot when I was younger, blowing spheres, bending cylinders and stuff like that, now I started to work with it seriously...

Anyway, I have a few questions on 3d studio:

1. Why cant I use MeshSmooth with extruded objects? Any tips for solving this problem?

2. I´ve been looking for images made on 3dsmax and I saw a lot if those churches and old buildings with gothic and art nouveau ornaments... What´s the best way to do this? Lofts? Booleans? I get so confused about it because it seems that there are lots of ways to model this...

I know these are very stupid questions, but they´re driving me mad... Well, soon I´ll have a site online, with my other works (2d, mostly) then I can post the link... ok?

Thanks in advance!

SongbinChan
04-20-2004, 05:44 AM
I think you should learn poly modeling

davijin
04-21-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by SongbinChan
I think you should learn poly modeling

He is using polymodeling.

anyway
1. you should be able to use meshsmooth on extruded objects. try using an edit mesh modifier after you extrude and then use meshsmooth modifier. it should work then.

2. Yeah there are alot of different techniques to do building modeling with. depending on which one you like you may have a differnet preference. Most of the methods are about the same speed. all the methods have their drawbacks also. Just try them all and see which one you like the best.

I know these are very stupid questions, but they´re driving me mad... Well, soon I´ll have a site online, with my other works (2d, mostly) then I can post the link... ok?

yeah CGtalk doesnt mind if you post a link to your gallery. most users here do it including me. as long as its not malitious or something.

operativem
04-22-2004, 03:13 AM
Hey, with respect to your question about which technique works best: often times you can use three or four techniques to achieve similar results. Modeling is really about progressive refinement, so many time it doesn't matter how you start, as long as you learn how to refine your work. I've found it helpful to learn a variety of techniques because it's boring to build everything in the same way all the time.

I build a lot of landscapes and architecture. I like to use a wide variety of construction techniques for both. Complex architecture is often simplified by using Booleans for the shell geometry and then using separate objects for wall details, furniture, lights and so forth. I like to work with highly granular scenes so that they can be optimized for runtime performance without much extra work. (What I mean here is that I don't like to build complex models and merge everything together.)

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.