PDA

View Full Version : Character : robot lifting 200 tones

NeBuLa
04-18-2004, 11:49 AM
hehe, well this is som thing i model in maya and renderd with mental ray. :cool:

modeling time : 6 hours

render time : 30 min

if you have som pointers please awser :thumbsup:

http://www.home.no/nebula3d/gallery/robot_v4_copy.jpg

http://www.home.no/nebula3d/wire_1_copy.jpg

Plays_4_Pants
04-18-2004, 12:20 PM
I'm confused here. Is this supposed to be heavy for him, because it seems like the robot is having no prob lifting those "tones."
No "human-like" robot would lift something like that, there's no leverage. Their shoulders and elbows would snap in half. It would hold it on the sides too...for balance.
Those feet are really weird too, but interesting. Cryptic The face is mysterious also. In a way I like that, in a way I don't. Possibly, if it wasn't so obviously a robot, the strange nature of this character would be more intriguing. The body and legs give the cyborg identity away.

You did this in a very short time, which is really impressive, maybe you should spend 6 more hours and make this worth doing. I bet you can do it :thumbsup:

nendo_3d
04-18-2004, 12:30 PM
the actual 200 tones doesn't look heavy. actual it looks like it would bounce back up. looks like plastic

xcvbnm
04-18-2004, 01:36 PM
The robot is great ofcourse.
To me the rope looks heavier than the 200T :p
This is because of the way he is holding it, as if its a baloon...

I imagine the next frame would be 200T sitting on a pile of junk, and some smoke and shortcircuit sparks.....
:scream:

Need better feet, ya...

JaKaL
04-18-2004, 02:41 PM
I Love the robot! very impressive for only 6 hours of work :beer: My only crit would be that he doesn't look like he is holding any weight at all, it looks more as if he is reacting to keep it from falling on his head! :hmm:

NeBuLa
04-18-2004, 09:10 PM
thx for the pointers and comments:thumbsup: i have now bin working on it a bit it is better now i think :). new texture one 200 tone wait and a new pose for the robot hop you like it. :)

http://www.home.no/nebula3d/robot_v5_copy.jpg

BonciuToma
04-18-2004, 09:46 PM
well I like the elements but I don't think that you can make it a succefull image. Why ? Becouse a robot doesn't have any emotions or mimic that sugest the havy lifting (like sweat and muscle flexing and a mimic that a human would do). Maybe an animation would help. But I admire the fact that you tried. And I realy like the robot .

DZL
04-18-2004, 10:23 PM
the 2nd pic still has many flaws.

the weight it seems has grown 300% since the first picture, and seems just too ridiculously big to even pic up. i doubt the robot could get it's arms around it to lift it.

2nd, it's off-center. if you look at the pic, it appears the weight would fall backwards, and roll off the robot's back. his arms and head are on the front-half of the weight, which doesn't make sense - also, the way his feet are placed, he would fall backwards with the weight and be crushed. his feet are too far forward, and his torso is not leaning forward to keep the weight centered above his body.

pay close attention to weight and balance - maybe look at some pictures of power-lifters doing squats. this is how the body looks when trying to lift a heavy weight over it's head.

Plays_4_Pants
04-19-2004, 06:05 AM
Good to see your still working on this. Your tenacity is....tenacious. Anyway, mattconway is absolutely right. Also, he's got his legs forward. He would fall backwards. or lose his footing. One thing to do is have one leg in front, and one in back, so that he's balanced in that way too. It's still not convincing, but man it's 1000 times better. :thumbsup:

NeBuLa
04-19-2004, 06:00 PM
well, now i have made a new oppdate hoppe you like this one better :) and thx for the help people:thumbsup:

http://www.home.no/nebula3d/FINAL%20render.jpg

JaKaL
04-20-2004, 01:56 AM
Okay! I think this works pretty well :thumbsup: It also helps that it now seems to have a story or purpose of sorts! I love the rust texture, do you mind sharing the settings for that?

HapZungLam
04-20-2004, 05:00 AM
Problem in the 2nd picture.

I am sure that he'll out of balance and fall down (even not with the load).

DZL
04-20-2004, 06:01 AM
i like this 3rd pic a LOT more - he's lifting something. i don't know what - but it's not a circus weight, and that's a good thing.

i can see his expression better than the 2nd pic, and i dig that too.

his feet should maybe be a little bit farther apart - although with this stance it looks like he's getting ready to throw the object at the viewer, so maybe that was your intention.

great job on the textures/lighting too. is this for a short? make sure to let us know. if you animate him, make sure his knees wobble. wobbling knees are funny.

NeBuLa
04-20-2004, 08:50 AM
thx for the comments i am going to try to make an animation of the robot :thumbsup: but if you have any tips of rigging a robot that would be nice i have never rigget a robot before:thumbsup:

Leon.Wei
04-20-2004, 10:23 AM
is so good;) :bounce:

Soon2bAnimator
04-20-2004, 05:18 PM
i think that last pic is a very nice start, but you need to exaggerate a hell of a whole lot, judging by your model poses it seems you havent taken any life drawing classes so, my advice to you is to pose holding a heavy object...take note of every detail & positioning your body is in and exaggerate it on your model emmency..trust me it wont look weird...it'll look dead on

pZion
04-21-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by NeBuLa
thx for the comments i am going to try to make an animation of the robot :thumbsup: but if you have any tips of rigging a robot that would be nice i have never rigget a robot before:thumbsup:
hey, you've bought DVD's for 200$ or something, you should manage to rig it yourself :p

Well, i think the last image works very well... nice one!

TomerEp
04-21-2004, 02:46 PM
200 tons.. he cant possibly carrie that weight

pZion
04-21-2004, 07:41 PM
Don't you get it? It's made to be funny, not supposed to be realistic! :rolleyes:

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.