PDA

View Full Version : Casting a model in Resin

magilla
04-18-2004, 11:11 AM
Taking a break from CG modeling I've just finished modelling a head in KleanKlay (aka Sculpey, Chavant - oil-based modelling clay) and now I'd like to cast it in Resin. To do this I first make a silicone mould. I am aware of the processes to do this except for one thing....

Because it is a double-sided mould what do I use to embed the model for the first half-mould - that won't destroy the model for moulding the second half. Most resources recommend using "modelling clay" assuming that you are casting from something more solid.

Someone out there must have done this before - any suggestions?

--magilla

prrr!
06-06-2004, 08:19 PM
Hello....
you can solve this problem using a coke can, u cut it and obtain a metal foil , you can cut small pieces of this foil and you can separate halves of your model

I hope that you have luck

Sorry for my english

magilla
06-07-2004, 12:01 AM
thanks for the suggestion, I had actually thought of cutting the model in half but because it is only small I think the distortion between the two halves would be rather noticable.

I'm going to try and suspend the model above a trough/box and fill the bottom half first. The danger here is that you get air bubbles trapped under the model....

I have also considered fill the bottom half with jelly, but I don't know how the rubber will react with it.

--magilla

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.