PDA

View Full Version : My Sheridan College Post Grad Thesis: Cosbee

digital-bobert
04-17-2004, 08:36 PM
my bandwidth is not the best and it's going to max out soon... can anyone mirror?

you can email me at bob_w_chiu@hotmail.com

Hi everybody! Over the past 6-7 months I've been posting WIPs about my latest film called "Cosbee". It's about a man named Bill Cos...umm...errr... bee. Umm... yeah. His name is Bill Cosbee. And if he looks familar... umm... it's just your imagination. jk

Dedicated to a true comedic genius - Bill Cosby
and to a legendary sitcom that was both extremely entertaining yet had preached good morals and racial equality.
Something that has been lacking in today's primetime television.

(it's for school, please don't sue me Mr.Cosby) :D

Film by Bob Chiu
Rigged by Ming Lin
Sound by Neil Parfitt
Voice by Mo Ozdemir

CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR A 3D ANIMATION JOB.
WILLING TO MOVE

Right click and save for download. 33mb quicktime movie file (http://www.artofbob.com/images/cosbee_sm.mov)
http://www.artofbob.com/images/sitting_in_livingroom.jpg

shbazjinkens
04-17-2004, 08:47 PM
Hehe.. I like it.

The dancing is a little jerky in the beginning.

I don't really know what else to say.. I was laughing through the whole thing, especially when he threw the pudding pop in the great eye. :applause:

digital-bobert
04-17-2004, 09:02 PM
shbazjinkens - Thanks for the comment! glad you enjoyed it!

HumanZoetrope
04-17-2004, 09:25 PM
That was pretty amusing. Good job on the impersonation (loved the "MEeeEeeeE" part at the end). Kind of reminded me of when the Simpsons do Bill Cosby. Hilarious.

I'll be honest though: I wasn't impressed with the animation at all. It was very floaty, stiff, and lacked weight. And cosb...err, I mean, Cosbee's :D legs were constantly doing what I call the "IK Snap n' Jerk". The puddin' pop throw was probably the only part that looked close to being good to me. It all looks rushed--and if it looks rushed to a student like me, what's an animation lead/director going to think? The competition is brutally fierce in animation right now (something I'm quickly learning), and I'm not sure if this is going to get you recognized as an animator.

I'm curious as to what your instructors at Sheridan thought of this piece. Would you mind sharing?

But I really liked the backgrounds during the Moria part, and the special effects on the eye were OK. The story concept is pretty interesting, too (Cosby and LOTR? Very...unique).

Congrats on finishing your short, though. This looks like it was a lot of work. It just needs a few more coats of polish.

I hope I don't sound like a jerk; this is just my two cents--take them for what they're worth. - Jeremy

digital-bobert
04-17-2004, 09:41 PM
that's ok Jeremy...thank you for your opinion.

actually my teachers really liked it.

The tower backgrounds were painted in Photoshop and animated and composited in aftereffects. so it was completely 2d.

digital-bobert
04-17-2004, 09:44 PM
i've seen many crazy and amazing films on this site especially from Ringlings. I tried my very best and I'm quite proud of what i've accomplished from 8 months of learning Maya.

I know i still have much to learn but i learn quickly. thanks for your comment Human Zoetrope.

digital-bobert
04-18-2004, 05:55 AM
hey my bandwidth is running low. just exceeded on my other site. can anyone mirror for me pleaseeee!?

NetMonkey2003
04-18-2004, 06:47 AM
I downloaded the file and when I tried to unzip it, I got the error "Unexpected end of file" and would said the archive was corrupt. Not entirely sure what would cause this but I had sort of hoped to watch the video.

p0rcupine
04-18-2004, 07:58 AM
hey something wrong with my computer or your file or your hosting stuff, i can't watch the demo.. i try to extract the movie, and it gives me an error... anyway.. i went into your website (hope you don't mind) and saw your stuff there... and they are amazing.. especially your "don't feed animal" animation is really touching.. i graduated Technical illustration program in sheridan college... and planning to study visual effects later there.. i am happy to see someone from sheridan college here... well... i will watch your demo for sure...

good luck in the future mate :beer:
sorry i don't have any webspace to mirror your stuff

vanderstrat
04-18-2004, 01:25 PM
Hi. I really like the art on your website and would like to see the video. I downloaded it, but can't view it. I tried both xine and mplayer, in linux. Can anyone else confirm whether it works for them and what software they're using?

Quicktime usually works for me.

Cheers,

b01c

digital-bobert
04-18-2004, 03:41 PM
ok! seriously... NOW the link is fixed

krisippa
04-18-2004, 04:53 PM
Well done. I know at sheridan they dont give you much time to complete a 1-2 minute piece, and you had a lot going on. Great stuff.

if i had one crit it'd be some of the anim. just seems like all other 3-d anim, too floaty and too many spline curves, and not enough 'pop, hold follow-through'. But thats being nit-picky, because most of his acting and posing was pretty good.

Good things ahead.
congrats.

ps. where'd ya get the idea for that short? seems waay out there. but i like it cuz i know mine was 'messed' too.

sizzlebits
04-18-2004, 07:36 PM
awesome, I loved it. Any technical issues were outweighed by the fact that you have great timing. Very enjoyable.:buttrock:

Rodi
04-18-2004, 07:39 PM
Very Funny, I loved the Cosby show when i was a little lad. Cool stuff bobert well done mate.. Yes the animation is not perfet but you are just one guy, and theres only so much one guy can do...

white ninja
04-18-2004, 09:21 PM
man, i am so inspired by your work..your animation is the funniest--what a great concept to combine cosby and LOTR..i found every minute of it witty, chamrming, and just plain hilarious! (wow--you really studied and captured cosby's every behavior perfectly)
you have deffinately gone out of the box w/o going too overboard, as most people try to do nowadays--you have kept a very nice and unique raw quality in your animation--it is what gives it its great essence and personality, which i think people in this forum forget, because they get so lost in technical jibrish that i think isnt what gives animation its true value--and life.

and to HumanZoetrope--jerkface--i mean jeremy, you gave quite valid comments..BUT after looking at your work, man you don't even come close to what digital_bobert has accomplished--your animation lacks gravely in many parts i cant even begin to elaborate on them because it'll just take up time n space..your work does not support or reflect the comments you made. fo shame.

so digibob, keep up the great work..i know you're just gonna keep growing from what is already a great beginning..and you're gonna go far man.
ciao

Man
04-18-2004, 10:11 PM
i donwloaded it but i can't watch it:shrug:

ZNP
04-18-2004, 10:16 PM
Can't watch it too! "It's not a file quicktime understands"... and if Mr Quicktime himself doesn't understand, how can I?

digital-bobert
04-18-2004, 11:20 PM
krisippa - thanks D! I'm glad ppl are liking it. I got the idea one nite while putting back a few drinks with my roomate :P

sizzlebits/G.Rodi - Thank you very much for the postive words

White ninja - Thanks so much! You are very kind and I hope I'll live up to your words.

Man/ZNP - hmmm... It should be working... i just checked it and it worked fine. very strange. try right clicking on the link and saving it.

Thanks everyone for checking out my work. It was pretty challenging to caracturize Bill Cosby's personality and animate it. I knew when I started the project that I'd have to do a good job or else I'd disappoint alot of Cosby fans out there (including myself) so this past school year I've really given it my all and I hope I've done the show justice.

Cheers,
Bob

ZNP
04-19-2004, 12:31 AM
Ok, downloaded it again and now it worked!

The Cosby caricature really works! You could make a series of it, or maybe sell it to Mr Cosby to do small inserts in a TV show, DVD or something!

The whole feel and timing is very nice, although some time on the lights could give visual quality that extra punch. But it already works very well as it is now, and it is though to make a 3d short alone, even if with some help.

You got his personality and his humour and the timming of a sitcom! The close up right after the dancing (which is very, very funny already) prepared me for something even funnier!

His body movements when he materializes almost killed me!

Oh, and the 2d works in your webpage... wow! You do have some quality work, my friend! Eerie feeling, lion bird, azn1... amazing work!

Congratulations!!! And don't worry about the job!

digital-bobert
04-19-2004, 03:48 PM
ZNP - Thanks for your kind words. If I ever put out a series, you'll be sure to know :P

Yeah, I wonder what Bill Cosby would say if he saw the clip.... wonder if he'd like it...

Thanks for also checking out my illustrations and drawings!

Tripl3 Dee
04-19-2004, 03:58 PM
Hey digital_bobert:

CONGRATS my friend, very good job, and very funny as well!!!!!!!!!

Keep up your good work, iŽm sure youŽll get far!!!!

CHEERS!!!! :beer:

digital-bobert
04-19-2004, 08:37 PM
Thanks Tripl3 Dee! I hope you're right :D

Big-Boi
04-21-2004, 01:15 AM
BaaaHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Tooo funny!!!!!! BaaaaHAHAHAHA!!!

You know i showed my teacher your film and he told the class that this is the best 1st yr student film he's seen to date! now everyone in my program is trying to step up their stuff to try and compete with you! lol...

It must have been really hard to get his mannerisms. great job

You must have known some 3d stuff b4 school rite? i hope...?

Love the voice too! just amazing
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

digital-bobert
04-22-2004, 01:49 AM
hehehe...
thanks man! glad you enjoyed it:buttrock:

baoling
04-22-2004, 03:33 AM
It's very creative to combine with the LOTR!!!

I like the main character. If showing series on TV I will catch up!!!

sormint
07-10-2004, 11:23 PM
It's a funny piece and you have one of the more rare skills - storytelling. Oh, and completion is kinda rare too. I have a problem with that. You should be proud since many animators can make things move but can't tell a story. I must say, however, that HumanZoetrope's comments WERE valid though perhaps they could have been more constructive. But valid is valid, and no amount of ad hominim attacking by White Ninja will change that. If a smoker told me that I shouldn't smoke because it's unhealthy, he would still be correct whether he took his own advice or not. Personally I'm more thankful for criticism that actully points out some faults in my work rather than comments that just say "I liked it," because no matter how good it is there is always room to get better. It's the people who think that they've "arrived" that stagnate and drop off the radar.

So anyways back to my point. The motion is off. I think your "don't feed" anim is brilliant. The timing and voice acting were hilarious and communicated well. I think the movement was suitable for television, but it does not have the dynamic, physical quality that is so hard to achieve and is mostly required by the film industry. This post is getting long, but if you're concerned with believable motion it all goes back to the basics (which are hardly basic since it took years for Disney artists to perfect these ideas) - arcs, overlapping action, anticipation, etc. Check out Richard Williams book - Animator's Survival Kit too.

JD
07-11-2004, 06:29 AM
hey bob,

been a while, looks good man, also congrats on the alias award earlier in the year. the cosby anim was great, i especially liked the scene when he reappears in his living room. good story. i'm at school in edmonton for 3d right now, check out my thread in the wip section

http://cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=152925

hit me with an email sometime dude, i'd love to hear what you've been up to.

jesse

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.