PDA

View Full Version : Object: Narsil Sword (from LOTR)

Novakog
04-17-2004, 06:12 PM
I actually received this sword as a present and thought, "wow, this sword is really cool, why not try modeling it?", so here's my attempt.

http://www.cgrenaissance.com/images/NewGallery/desktops/1152/Narsil1152.jpg

The higher-res (1600x840) version is here (http://www.cgrenaissance.com/images/NewGallery/desktops/1600/Narsil1600.jpg) (and looks much better in my opinion).

Made in Maya 5, textures and post-production in Photoshop, rendered in Mental Ray. The HDRI map is Uffizi (from Debevec, obviously).

It wasn't entirely done, but was just taking too damn long to render on my 3 year old computer :p, so it's done (but I might get back to it when I get a new computer).

Comments/crits greatly appreciated.

otacon
04-17-2004, 06:29 PM
Cool present. I think it looks pretty good, the modeling is solid, but its a little too shiny/reflective. I would tone down the reflectivity a little so we can see the richness in the color of the metal.....right now it looks kind of like a cheap assembly line sword instead of a hand made one. Some small imperfections in the metal would be a nice addition as well. I hope you know what i mean.

Pjanssen
04-17-2004, 07:17 PM
That looks really nice !
I agree with the comments that otacon gave you and I would like to add some to it:
What I remember is that there should be some runes engraved in the handle, I don't see them on your picture.
And I think that the black part of the handle is a bit too round.
Looks cool though!

by the way, I recently did some LOTR swords too, you can find them on my website (www.endless-dimensions.com) under Portfolio -> Stills if you are interested.

Novakog
04-17-2004, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the quick replies!

I think those are some good points you have the otacon. I don't necessarily agree with you about some imperfections, this is more like a "studio shot" (and truth be told, there aren't any on my sword, even fingerprints don't really show up on the handle :shrug: ) but the thing about it being too shiny/reflective is certainly an excellent point.

Those are some great models Pjanssen. You're memory serves you well; there should be runes engraved on the handle, but I stopped before I got to them.

The thing about the handle being too round also seems very true, I've actually had a few people tell me that.

Pjanssen
04-17-2004, 07:31 PM
Yes I just began to doubt about the runes when I wrote it. And you're right. Anduril has runes on the blade too, but Narsil doesn't
And about the black part of the handle, I noticed it too that it was quite shot when I watched the reference (after posting the reply)
But I edited my post :)

I found this nice ref. too by the way:
http://www.fantasy-swords.com/swords/images/UC1267%20on%20plaque%20.jpg
Nice view on the runes.

Maybe you should take a look at your gold material again, it looks a bit too yelow to me.

Novakog
04-17-2004, 08:07 PM
Actually, that's the same reference I used for the modeling. I edited my post to accomadate your edited post :p. I think you're right about the gold being too yellow also.

Virum
04-17-2004, 09:27 PM
A little variation in the texture of the handle would be cool, and according to a pic the hole on the hilt where blade starts to come out chousl be black. Good job!

Novakog
04-18-2004, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by Virum
A little variation in the texture of the handle would be cool, and according to a pic the hole on the hilt where blade starts to come out chousl be black. Good job!

Yeah, the black hole is another of the little details I was gonna get to, but never did.

As for the texturing - the entire sword, every shader, is textured - but the problem is that with this render a lot of the detail is lost, because the sword really takes up only a small amount of the screen real estate.

When my new comp comes out, I'll render a high-res close-up of the handle to show you.

mOnkiEeeE
04-18-2004, 05:25 AM
COOOOOOOOOOOOOOL ONE.BTW, CAN YEH MAKE A STING OF LOTR?

Plays_4_Pants
04-18-2004, 12:10 PM
Looks nice, but now what?

Novakog
04-18-2004, 05:32 PM
Thanks ;).

If by "now what?" you mean, what'll my next thing be - I have no idea. I've been thinking about a lot of things - from a character to a car to another weapon to an environment.

As for Sting - well I'm not as fond of its design as I am of Narsil, maybe Glamdring or something, but not for a while (not my next project, I'm kind of sick of working on a bladed weapon right now).

Pjanssen
04-18-2004, 10:05 PM
When you would just spent a few minutes more to this one (fixing the inscription and some mat. tweaks) it will become really great!
I'm looking forward to your model of glamdring ! ;)

Plays_4_Pants
04-19-2004, 06:12 AM
by now what, I meant, you made a sword. Why? What are you going to do with it?

A lot of times I get this question too. I model something. It looks nice. But "Who cares?" Why would someone want to look at it. What's the point?

Pjanssen
04-19-2004, 06:42 AM
I think he did it just for fun. And would you always model something so that others can look at it, or do you model because you think it's fun ?

And to the question 'why would anyone look at it': I think that this is a bit strange, I mean, why would anyone look at a model of a car that could also be parked on your carparc ?

No offence, but I think you're acting a little strange and harsh here on the boards (also looking at your other recent posts)

Novakog
04-19-2004, 07:20 AM
Yeah, just for fun. And to get better at CG (I hope to do it as my job eventually, as I'm pretty young).

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.