PDA

View Full Version : [ISO-Art] 3D/2D Oriental Towerhouse (~700kb)

JonasNoell
04-17-2004, 10:56 AM
http://phpmywebmin.josh.ch/_uploads/cANt/Turmhaus_Preview.jpg

Hello guys, I'm back after a long time to present my latest project, it's an oriental Towerhouse, we will use in our game for a desert like environment. After a long time of working I finally decided to take it to a rest now because my final exams at school are waiting so I will need the time to study. Final (hardly noticable) steps will be done later, but consider it as being finished so far. Some words for the technique though: Rendered with 3dsmax Scanline Rendering and overworked with Photoshop a little bit. It took some time, maybe all in once 48 hours or more (I splitted it up over about 2 weeks to I can't actually remember the entire work time). Hope you like it, comments, constructive criticism and general feedback is actually very welcome ;)

neonoodle
04-17-2004, 12:29 PM
Looks really nice. Is it going to be used in a cutscene? If not, then why make it so detailed since it probably wont be that big in the game and a lot of the detail will be lost on the scale down, won't it?

JonasNoell
04-17-2004, 12:35 PM
No it will be used ingame! Actually there will be 3 zooming stages where the nearest is this screen here 1:1. The huge amount of detail is done because we wanted to make the world look very detailled when zooming very near.

azazel
04-17-2004, 01:09 PM
I don't think you overworked it in PS, at least i like the slightly 2d loook you got.

JonasNoell
04-17-2004, 05:53 PM
azazel: The 2d/comic look is part of our game's style. We are trying to create something more or less unique in the roleplaying world.

Any more comments? If it's bad feel free to say, I just want some feedback :blush:

ken0
04-17-2004, 07:20 PM
I love the style...i don't think you will get any crits...This is so unique...

Exelent work :beer:

Pjanssen
04-17-2004, 08:20 PM
Looks cool. It has a nice kind of 'semi-cartoon' feeling too it which I really like.
But why did you render it isometric and not in normal perspective ?

JonasNoell
04-17-2004, 08:49 PM
Ahh finally some comments :bounce:
ken0: Great to hear, this kind of "unique" style was what I was trying to achieve. Well beside being the style of our game, it is my personal style as well I think!
Pjanssen: Because it's for an isometrical game, thats why ;)

Xode
04-17-2004, 09:19 PM
Very nice, theres only one thing that bothers me about it, and thats the two boards that those jugs are hanging from on the roof. i dont like how they look like they are going through the stone walls.

i see that it can easily be explained away, just saying that it bothers me. :)

a question also.. Does 3ds max have a specific setting for isometric rendering or did you just play with the camera settings to achieve that? if you did play with the settings, can you tell me what sort of things you did to achieve that? you got a pretty perfect isometric rendering that i havent had much luck in getting myself. (i use maya so if its a 3ds max specific thing i guess im still out of luck)

Awesome work in any case. Does the game have a website i can check out?

JonasNoell
04-18-2004, 08:22 AM
Xode: Actually 3dsmax has a predefined isometric userview, that I used, so I haven't had any problems finding the perfect isometric view at all. I will overthink the thing with the hanging boards though, and no we don't have a website yet. Thanks for your comment :cool:

ostov
04-18-2004, 11:25 AM
Looks really nice. I always like how you Iso-view art people add so mucj nice detail :)

Xode
04-18-2004, 10:22 PM
Cool, thanks. I think i finally figured out how to do a good Isometric Render in Maya rather than faking it with a really small camera angle.

Post new versions of your Render if you are making adjustments!

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.