PDA

View Full Version : Machineflesh 2D Challenge Entry: Barry Keegan

keeganb
04-16-2004, 01:07 PM
Barry Keegan has entered the Machineflesh 2D Challenge.

keeganb
04-16-2004, 07:01 PM
Right theres a long way to go on all this but as I was thinking of my concept I drew these as a sort of loose thought.

I've been told the guy on the left looks like he's a prisoner and also that he's got metal nipples! Well hes not and he doesnt...

Anyway

Far into the future music is enjoyed by all the different alien species throughout the universe, it was the humans who introduced music to everyone and it has become very popular. My idea is of a multispecies rock band who have pionered "Machine Rock", music had been brought as far as it could go so a rock band volunteered to let technology bring music to a new level! So for my Machine Flesh challenge I'll be coming up with is a Multi species Rock band who will hopefully look really cool covered in upgrades to help them sing and play better!

My first piece of art here was me thinking of the lead singer, he has his whole voicebox and lungs fused with hyper sonic technology. Theres alot more skecthing to do on this but i needed to get the ball rolling on this Challenge so I've posted this first sketch

http://barrykeegan.bigfizz.com/CGTalk/singer_01.jpg

keeganb
04-17-2004, 01:44 PM
I've moved off the singer Idea for the moment, I like the technology voice box and stuff but I need to think about his overall look as it's very generic at the moment!

This sketch is my concept of an alien guitar player in the "Machine Rock" band. As humanity brought music to the universe obviously alot of creative influence on the way these aliens dress is taken from Music legends. So this is the guitar player who's had his arms comlpetely overhauled with machinery to give him computer like dexterity and amazing speed at playing solo's! He's influenced by all those spandex wearing rockers!

I'm working some Ideas on the drummer at the moment so I'll hopefully have some more sketches up later.

Keegan

http://barrykeegan.bigfizz.com/CGTalk/Guitar_01.jpg

keeganb
04-17-2004, 02:48 PM
Well heres the first sketch of the drummer, it's obvious whats going on there so I won't go into explaining it! I think for my next sketch of him I want him looking more monkey like, with longer arms and an Orangutang(spelling) look to him.

I was gonna have his feet holding drumsticks aswell but he'll need to use the peddles.

Keegan

http://barrykeegan.bigfizz.com/CGTalk/Drummer_01.jpg

Ste
04-18-2004, 10:22 PM
Hello there... nice concepts!

I love the idea that humans have introduced music to the rest of the galaxy and the fact they all love it... thats great!

looking forward to seeing more...!

keeganb
04-19-2004, 12:29 PM
Cheers Ste, I like the concept myself and hopefully I can make the design for the Machine Rock band as appealing!

Heres another sketch of the Alien drummer, I was just trying to clear up his mechanical drumming arms. As far as the design of the alien it's nothing special but hey this is a Machine flesh challenge and not an Alien creature cahllenge!

http://barrykeegan.bigfizz.com/CGTalk/Drummer_02.jpg

imager777
04-19-2004, 01:00 PM
I saw the guitar guy and started thinking about Ghost in the Shell. What if you gave him extra digits, to aid in his playing; just an idea.

Protoz
04-19-2004, 09:04 PM
I'm digging the idea but some things confuse me.

Guitar guy: Why is the chord plugged into the guy? he doesn't seem to be able to project sound.

Drummer: the sticks are upside down ;)

Other than that I am gonna keep a watch on this thread, good luck!

keeganb
04-20-2004, 02:49 AM
Imager>> yeah man I know what you mean, I did think of Ghost in the shell and thought of the same thing, I havent put extra digits as to try and not rip that concept off.

Protoz>> Yeah the lead going from the guitar to his arm makes no sense at all, I will change this! It just happened as I was sketching, i sometimes just don't think of stuff which leads me onto the backwards drumsticks! I never bothered to check for reference and just came up with what you see there, I will change this also. Thanks for the posts lads it means alot to get some feedback.

I'm working on an image of the singer at the moment, it's the happiest of been with this so I'll post it as soon as I'm finished!
Cheers again
Keegan

p.s Have you guys entered the Challenge yourselves?

keeganb
04-20-2004, 02:53 PM
Trying to nail down the look of this guy, really the only machine stuff he's got is his throat/neck area and then theres internal stuff down at his lungs. I still havent thought of what clothes he'll have as I don't like what I've come up with so far on the other sketches.

The style of this piece is new to me as normally I just put my art on multiply in photoshop and paint underneath, the reason why I'm trying something new is that I want my finished piece to have that painted look to it. Hopefully by doing the rest of my concepts like this I can come up with a pretty decent finished bit of art.

http://barrykeegan.bigfizz.com/CGTalk/singer_03.jpg

eoin
04-20-2004, 06:58 PM
Excellent work once again Keegan:applause:

Im really looking forward to more on these guys, a very nice idea thats very original and refreshing!!!
Great Idea great Art!!

Im expecting this one to turn intop a 5star special!!!!

Keep em coming man!!

-Eoin

jedmitchell
04-20-2004, 07:17 PM
that first cyborg design you posted with the extend-o neck and the flashlight in his mouth looks just like the attack android from the first season of the Ghost in the Shell series. you might want to check that out to augment your design with, as everything in that series is just beautiful. it's episode 12 or 13 I think -- somewhere in the middle of the series anyway.

overall I like your approach of taking on a more domestic and lighter aspect of the machine-human interface than a lot of entries in this contest. good luck.

keeganb
04-21-2004, 03:04 PM
Cheers for the crits guys it means so much!

jedmitchell>> I havent seen the ghost in the shell series, I only thought there was the film! I'll do a search on the net and see If I can find what your talking about, I've binned the torch mouth idea! oh and yeah i thought alot of people were just doing warrior and killing machines and stuff so i thought i'd do something a bit friendlier! Theres probably other work entered by people that I havent seen yet that are of a similar tone.

eoin
04-28-2004, 11:51 PM
zzZZZZZZZZZZZ...

come on Keegan??! keep us updated? your fans are waiting!!!

-Eoin :p

Waldek
04-29-2004, 02:20 PM
very cool idea, alot of potential.

keeganb
04-30-2004, 01:47 AM
Hey thanks guys, been at bit busy and dying to get back into doing some stuff for this challenge.

I've been focusing alot on trying to go for a different style to the whole thing, I'm not used to just painting stuff up so go easy on me, I normally sketch stuff with a pencil but i'm trying to push myself to this side of things . I'm please with the mood that this image portrays of the guitar player, he's obviously the coolest of the band and as you can see theres a hint of his arm enhancments!
I want to at least do a concept for each band member with a similar feel to this image before I move onto my final image. Anyway I'd much appreciate feedback on the new direction this challenge is going for me.
Keegan

p.s I may work more into this image at some stage as I think it's asking for it!

http://barrykeegan.bigfizz.com/CGTalk/Guitar_02.jpg

londero
04-30-2004, 06:23 AM
great ideas man! :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.