PDA

View Full Version : Subdivision level 3 = crash

Stoehr
04-15-2004, 09:48 PM
Every time I try to render with the render region or with the render pass, XSI crashes.

My model is about 14,000 polygons, and subdivided 3 times (hit "+" key three times for an array of 3). I've only have the render region draw around the characters head. And render polygons is set to "front". I've tried reducing the memory limit, thinking perhaps I'm just running out of RAM. I have set the RAM limit to 300MB, and I have 1.5 GB available. No other programs are running. I have alot of RAM, and it seems odd to think it's crashing because of the RAM, but I'm not sure.

There's three lights in the scene, and one of the is Area light enabled, with a UV accuracy of 5.

My Task Manager says it's using 100% of my processors and 411 of my RAM when I draw a render region, but in about one or two minutes XSI crashes.

Ofcourse, everything works fine at a level of 2, but the mesh just isn't quit right at level 2.

Right now I'm testing a waiting to see what happens at a RAM set to 200MB. It's taking a few minutes longer.

tachy0n
04-15-2004, 10:27 PM
Why are you lowering the RAM limit ?? Set it to the max that you have free, and then try it. 14,000 polys at level 3 are only around 800k or so, which is nothing.

leigh
04-15-2004, 10:53 PM
Does it always crash around the same point? If so, then it is probably running out of RAM.

I had this problem a while ago and eventually figured out that it was because of the large images I had applied to the model - XSI doesn't handle massive TIF images very well, it seems. It uses LOADS of RAM (much more than LW it seems, incidentally) when rendering models with textures applied.

It was rather frustrating, but I ended up saving all the textures as JPG and then it was fine.

Stoehr
04-15-2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by tachy0n
Why are you lowering the RAM limit ?? Set it to the max that you have free, and then try it. 14,000 polys at level 3 are only around 800k or so, which is nothing.

Ok, I'll reverse my tactic.

EDIT: Thanks TachyOn, that was the ticket.
I guess I thought of reduce the RAM allocation, because I had suspected that I was running out of RAM; like Leigh had said.

Stoehr
04-15-2004, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Leigh
Does it always crash around the same point? If so, then it is probably running out of RAM.

I had this problem a while ago and eventually figured out that it was because of the large images I had applied to the model - XSI doesn't handle massive TIF images very well, it seems. It uses LOADS of RAM (much more than LW it seems, incidentally) when rendering models with textures applied.

It was rather frustrating, but I ended up saving all the textures as JPG and then it was fine.

It difficult to determine when it crashes. I blelieve it's before it even starts; like when it's caching the info.

I'm using the Softimage file format; .pic
I have had good luck with it so far... So far.

tachy0n
04-16-2004, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Leigh

Hey Leigh if you are having problems with large textures, use the .MAP format. This is the optimised format for very large textures. It produces massive files on disk, but they are read directly into RAM and only as and when needed so consume much less RAM.

You can use the imf_copy tool that comes with XSI/MR to convert the files.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.