PDA

View Full Version : Quick Cartoon sketch

suede019
04-15-2004, 06:20 PM
Hey, this is only my second time posting a drawing... Just a quick comic/cartoon sketch I did the other night... Nothing fancy, I just drew something based off of my girlfriend. let me know what you think! You guys give great crit to a beginner like me :) It took about 45 minutes because I kept changing it over and over again in PS.

http://www.miketown.net/portfolio/ritasketch.jpg

perfecti
04-15-2004, 07:29 PM
.. very good man !! but .. character .. looks like a boy .... imho ..:hmm:

suede019
04-15-2004, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the comment, what part(s) make it look like aboy to you (and anyone else reading)? I always want to make my drawings read better so your thoughts are very welcome!

perfecti
04-15-2004, 11:13 PM
... mmm.. body are good .. but maybe lips ...oohh ... a big nose .. and chin .. :shrug: make some more expression .. its expression in pose .. but not at the face .. so ..

Juji
04-16-2004, 01:38 AM
This is super simple but I like it a lot. The thin neck and jaggy hair give her lots of character. I think she might look a little more masculine because of her mouth. It's being pulled very far into her cheek. If you cropped maybe the last couple centimeters, her lips would look fuller and more feminine. My 2 cents. :D

suede019
04-16-2004, 02:42 AM
Thanks Juji, after looking at it a little bit the mouth looked a little long to me too. I'll keep that sort of thing in mind when I draw... Every now and again I tend to over exaggerate a feature :) Since its such a quick sketch i don't think I'll fix this one, best to just draw another and get more practice! :)

Xell
04-16-2004, 03:06 AM
nice style, looks very good so far...

is the coloring done in ps?

suede019
04-17-2004, 08:53 PM
yup ps 7

coffeepenguin
04-19-2004, 02:46 AM
I would do two things with this, get rid of the red guide lines, and give her a lower lip. I don't know why but those two things really bug me.
I really like the subtilties in the shadows and highlights and the overal sketchyness of it. You really should spend the time to give her a lower body, and another arm.
Also, is the backround color from scanning the drawing in or done in PS?

jecaTatu
04-19-2004, 12:10 PM
hey suede, really nice sketch you have there. i think that the drawing has lots of appeal and spontaneity. your colour work gives a great watercolour sketchbook feeling. leaving the red guides only adds to the sketch goodness. even the red adds to the warmth of the drawing. does it look like a boy? not in my opinion.
some things that i might suggest: the crown of her head seems way too far back, unbalancing the head, or maybe it's the position of the neck in relation to the head. i think you need to move the neck back so that the back of her neck is closer to that second break in her hair from the left of frame. try to imagine where her ear would be and you'll see what i'm talking about with the neck.
good line weight, perhaps a little heavier under the breasts, elbow and chin? small things :)

good job, keep it up!

Hyptosis
04-19-2004, 04:00 PM
Whoa, killer work, and it can easily be identified as a girl to me.

Hyptosis
04-19-2004, 04:02 PM
Oh, and I would totally leave those red lines, thats classy looking. If you decide to clean it up, keep this copy as well.

Pierrick
04-19-2004, 08:12 PM
Very cool style!
I can imagine easily this kind of character in a cartoon...

So communicative...
Keep your good style for a lot of pics like that man!!

luhna
04-19-2004, 09:38 PM
I like your style ... very nice :applause:

:surprised luhna

suede019
04-21-2004, 06:30 AM
WOW! I never thought this many responses would come.. Thanks everyone!

CoffeePenguin- Thanks for the comments! I think you have a good point about the red lines, there are a few places where I want to clean them up (by her waist) but overall they were meant to be part of it. As was her lack of lower lip, when I added one (just to give a look see) it really looked bizarro... the background is a mix of the scan and PS I used a couple of layer effects plus a little contrast bump, but a lot of the variances you see are from my sweaty hand blurring the pencil around.

jecaTatu- Man you are dead on. I was looking at it the other day and I said "wow, her head looks really big!" I actually did draw in her ear before adding the hair but I think I was trying to get it down so fast i got overzealous with her cranium- The sketch itself only took about 10 minutes... Gotta get it right before moving on eh? Thanks :D I don't think I would have noted just what part of her head was too big without that remark ! Good call on the neck too!

Thanks again! I'm pretty new to the CG stuff for the most part I like to draw comics (I rarely color or ink things) but all of this really helps! That's why this place is cool, people actually give crit (and everybody is pretty much awesome)!

LuWeeWu
04-21-2004, 02:12 PM
I dont think it looks very masculine but for good measure you might put a little of that red on her top lip and a hint of it on the bottum one.

Cheers:beer:

coffeepenguin
04-21-2004, 06:22 PM
Looking at it, the back of the head really doesn't bother me. It gives it more of a specific style. I'd leave it as is. Kind of reminds me of a saying:
"If you have a character with really big hands, you have proportion problems, if you have two character with big hands, you have a style"
It went something like that.

brkofdon
04-22-2004, 07:00 AM
head shape is almost alien like. if you drew her skull the back part would looked way pulled back, and the crazy thing is ive seen ppl with heads like that...weird. anyways thats the only thing that bugs me....for now..muhahahah..jk! nice sketch!!!

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.