PDA

View Full Version : GunParade March - Mai Shibamura

mikkow
04-15-2004, 02:03 PM
http://w1.858.telia.com/%7Eu85823763/drawings/mai-chan.jpg

TV Show: GunParade March ( Aratanaru Kougunka )
Name: Mai Shibamura
Birthdate: 1981-01-30 ( Aged 18 )
Height: 158cm ( 5'2" )
Ethnicity: Japanese

Program Used: Photoshop 7
Time Taken: ~16 hours
References: Face partially referenced from this picture [link]
Frustration Level: *tearing off hair*
Notes: Fun trying to make an anime/manga person appear like a real girl. In my own interpretation of course.. I am proud of doing nearly everything completely unreferenced. The anatomy, the hair, the pilot suit, etc. Just the face needed some references.

This is Mai Shibamura, the not so sociable (main) character from GunParade March. The show being just 12 episodes x 20 minutes long ( = 4 hours), I saw the whole thing in one morning and it made a strong impression.

I had very different ideas at first of what it was going to be. Her slouching when sitting down on a bench or chair, with perhaps Taka (the womanizer) leaning over her babbling, and her ignoring him. Or her sitting on a sunchair under a parasol on a sunny hot runway with heatstreaks, drinking that Sweet Rice Drink as they call it in the TV series. Then I was going to sneak in some dropships from the show, and tried two differently sketched versions, one behind and one above, but neither worked with the picture.

The horizon became quite surreal looking. Maybe it's a snowy landscape, maybe it is above the clouds.. Who knows At one point, I spent 1-2 hours painting the face, only to realize I had completely screwed it up and had to revert to the older version.

Hope you all like it more than I enjoyed making it. I've had it for now with these hyper detailed high-rez type paintings. Yet I am drawn to making them

A special thanks to ~catarax and Levi for helping me spot some anatomy issues.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.