PDA

View Full Version : getting bones to stick to models

eagle300
07-11-2002, 07:50 PM
i'm starting to try to learn character animations and was wondering how to get bones to stick to models so you can do animations in 3dmax and gmax. i've got the model done and made bones, but how do you get them to stick on the model to get movement.

i've used the skin modifier but when i move the bones, the mesh doesn't deform right.
thanks
tj

Chris
07-11-2002, 10:20 PM
Your on the right track (except its really the mesh 'sticking' to the bones, not the other way round)

You need to edit your envelopes in the skin modifier. The envelopes describe the area of influence that each bone has on the surrounding vertices of your mesh. Have a look in your manual for info on how to edit the envelopes & assign vertices to different bones. Warning - its time consuming & quite boring - but its got to be done to get your mesh deforming correctly... :)

eagle300
07-13-2002, 01:50 PM
thanks for the advice. i noticed the envelope tutorial and totally ignored it. looks like i'm going to have to learn to use envelopes. and yes, i practiced on a model the other day and it IS time consuming.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.