PDA

View Full Version : rendering seperate objects to seperate layers??

Konstruct
04-15-2004, 02:41 AM
sorry, i know the question sounds really dumb, but ive looked for tuts, and used the search here and i cant find anything about it. it seems like it would be so simple, but this dilema is kicking my ass. any help??:D

misterdi
04-15-2004, 03:03 AM
Create several render layer (not display layer) in your scene, and put appropriate object into its layer.

In render globals, activate enable render layers.

Konstruct
04-16-2004, 12:23 AM
wow , thats easy enough. thank you SOOOO much :thumbsup:

but a whole new problem has come up.

in my scene I have a subject, and a ground plane.

(my goal is to composite cg elements onto footage with a shadow that acts appropriately the landscape in the video footage,- so i want to have a ground plane similar to that in the footage, but then take the CG ground out. I want to be left with the shadow that was cast on the ground by the CG subject.)

i put the subject, and the groundplane on thier own seperate layers.

i render them with all of the options on in the render layer/pass control in the render globals. I then take the various passes into Fcheck and export them all to a tiff sequence. (the shadows i cant actually see because they have a black back ground, but when i look at the alpha matte, its there)

so at this point everything is fine.

then i take the tiff sequences into after FX for composite. The only sequences that seem to work are the color layers from the default render layer.

everything imports fine, but the only sequence that shows up at all in the preview window is the Color, and the beauty layer.

none of the shadow layers seem to have any data on them, which doesnt make sense because they did in Fcheck.

P.S. whats diff. between the beauty layer and the color layer??

thanx for your time
:thumbsup:

misterdi
04-16-2004, 05:26 AM
Have you tried to put that shadow layer on top of the background layer?.

If the tiff has alpha channel on it, you should see it the shadow on the preview window, make sure you have normal blend for the composite.

Konstruct
04-17-2004, 04:53 AM
"Have you tried to put that shadow layer on top of the background layer?."

hehe yeah its on top of the background (in after FX). im not that lame, but maybe theres some importance to render layer order in maya?

If the tiff has alpha channel on it, you should see it the shadow on the preview window,

I can see the shadow on the alpha channel in Fcheck. but when i export to a tiff sequence, the re-import that tiff sequence into Fcheck to see whats going on with it, Theres nothing on the alpha channel. the weird thing is when have all of the channels working, (in Fcheck) the shadow shows up, and its a vibrant blue color.

-it it possible that Fcheck is mixing up my channels? and if it is, can i adjust the channels in after FX?

make sure you have normal blend for the composite

did that too.

This is really frustrating..:banghead:

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.