PDA

View Full Version : Optimized Rendering and MENTAL RAY FOR MAYA bible

Tierackk
04-15-2004, 02:10 AM
Intresting read thought I'd post the link for those who havent read this yet.

http://www.olivervisualfx.com/Optimized_Rendering.htm

Jozvex
04-15-2004, 03:08 AM
Hey cool, what a huge page!!

And he got the Vector Renderer to render wireframes without all the traingles!!!

Damn, there goes my old wireframe tutorial then....... *sniff*

:thumbsup:

Undseth
04-15-2004, 06:42 AM
Very interesting!

If I could perchance add a topic to similar webpages, I would personally want to know about how to set up frensel-reflections for mental ray in Maya (the realistic way if possible, and with other expamples than chrome objects).

If I could add a final word, that would be "diameter". :p

Jozvex
04-15-2004, 08:27 AM
Undseth, if you use the Dielectric Mental Ray shader, it will create proper fresnel reflections based on the IOR that you provide it.

:)

Leslie57
04-15-2004, 08:47 AM
:cry: bad link

Undseth
04-15-2004, 09:35 AM
Wow! :scream:

I have to try it out in the next few hours. I've been puzzled by the IOR option in the DGS (or was it DSG) -material, but did not know up from down. I recently read that the "refraction" index of an object/material plays an important role in figuring out the "reflection angle" of materials. I guess it all makes sense in a way. Have to try it out though.

Haven't looked at the dielectric material yet. I guess it also works with the DGS material, or is this wrong?

Thank you Jozvex !

Edit:
Um, I am assuming that say an aluminum pole has a subtle fresnel reflection. Is this correct? Or have I misunderstood.

Jozvex
04-16-2004, 02:41 AM
I'm not 100% sure, but I haven't actually seen any fresnel going on with my DGS shaders, maybe they don't do it.

The dielectric shader is really cool, especially for things like water and glass.

I wish someone would make a Fresnel utility node that could be plugged into whatever you wanted. Based on the actual fresnel formulas, not just "what looks right-ish".

:shrug:

Gremlin
04-16-2004, 09:03 AM
I wanna mess with all those cooky MR shaders, but I dont wanna do it till version 6 when I can have MR IPR render.... cause render times are just too long to mess around with settings.

but then agan, i havent even touched the tector renderer... maybe I'm missin' out? :surprised

pasto
04-16-2004, 09:15 AM
Well, I was about to try these shaders but I was thiking : Why Mr is so fast with classical maya shaders in raytrace and so slow with typical MR shaders ? Is it slow like this on XSI too ? Are these shaders special ones on XSI too ?

pasto

poly enslaver
04-20-2004, 06:08 AM
Hi. pasto : I think they are the same. I am not sure that they are too slow in MR... for me even Maya's shaders too slow. He.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.