PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 8 Release

BillB
04-14-2004, 09:14 PM
Just got this from Newtek :

We are pleased to announce that next week NewTek US will begin shipping the electronic upgrade to our customers who have pre-ordered or are eligible for free upgrade. A few weeks after that we will make the official launch when we have completed the printed documentation and additional packaging options for upgrades and new licenses. That is the point at which LightWave 3D [8] will be officially shipping in the US. We are also working with our international distribution partners to enable them to match our schedule as closely as possible. Customers who are registered with our international distribution partners will be contacted by their regional distributors with information about their upgrade fulfillment and launch plans.

NewTek US will be shipping the upgrades for our US registered customers from a fulfillment house. We will be shipping them out in bulk as fast as we can produce and package them. The packages will be shipped by first class mail. If you have already made a purchase eligible to receive the upgrade when it ships, and you have received your UV Edit Pro bonus or have responded to our address confirmation email, please rest assured that you are already on the list, and can expect to receive your upgrade before the end of the month. Please be aware that production will need to ramp up over several days, and shipments will proceed in daily batches, so please do not be alarmed if you have not yet received yours when you first begin hearing others report receiving their copies - we are doing everything possible to make fulfillment speedy and efficient, and will make sure your update gets to you as quickly as can be managed.

Orkman
04-14-2004, 09:16 PM
Sweet! So does that mean I can download it next week? Or do I have to wait like 3 more weeks or whatever for the box to come out? SWEET! :bounce:

Orkman
04-14-2004, 09:17 PM
P.S. I pray there will be a new fresh round of Fanta Shokata movies on this thread.

BillB
04-14-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Orkman
Sweet! So does that mean I can download it next week? Or do I have to wait like 3 more weeks or whatever for the box to come out? SWEET! :bounce:

Well, it does say "next week NewTek US will begin shipping the electronic upgrade" so hopefully we'll be getting a download link. Ouch, that's gonna be a fat download!

Xacto
04-14-2004, 09:18 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

BillB
04-14-2004, 09:21 PM
Then again, maybe they're shipping us a CD, the second paragraph makes it sounds more like that.

There was also mention that the special offers end April 22.

Orkman
04-14-2004, 09:24 PM
Time to upgrade my 14.4kbps modem.

FANTA SHOKATA!

Chuck Baker
04-14-2004, 09:25 PM
The Electronic upgrade is a 4-CD pack, shipped in a DVD case. We will not be making the LightWave [8] upgrade available by download.

Signal2Noise
04-14-2004, 09:26 PM
Freakin' awesome news! Can't wait to check my email when I get home.:bounce:

Klowno
04-14-2004, 09:27 PM
and som more... :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

:thumbsup:

PaulyBarnes
04-14-2004, 09:29 PM
(Tears off t-shirt and twirls it over his head)

OH YEAH BABY! BRING THE BUGS! IM READY!!!

Ziah
04-14-2004, 09:30 PM
Halll lllayyy luuuuu yahhhhhhhh....Halllllll lllaaayyyy luuu yaahhhhh

I struck gold honey i struck gold

PaulyBarnes
04-14-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Chuck Baker
The Electronic upgrade is a 4-CD pack, shipped in a DVD case. We will not be making the LightWave [8] upgrade available by download.

Change the name from Electronic Upgrade to "Shipping you a 4-CD Set not in the box without manuals"...don't get our hopes up for quick way to get 8 in our grubby lil' fingers.

Ziah
04-14-2004, 09:36 PM
aahahahahahhaha i got my email i got it.....:bounce:

feels like ive one the lottery lol only things is i piad for the sum i won :hmm:

oh well this is so great brand new program to be tested on a brand new toy roaring at p4 3.2E ghz ...i feel evil

LittleFenris
04-14-2004, 09:38 PM

wow, 4 CDs!! nice. I have never once used or looked at any of the content on the other versions of LW I have, but maybe that will change with [8] since there are so many cool new toys like the cloth/soft/hard dynamics and all the bone/character animation tools.

Beamtracer
04-14-2004, 09:42 PM
Wonderful to hear that one of the longest waits in history is now over. Lightwave 8 is now being released.

hrgiger
04-14-2004, 09:46 PM
Chuck, hows about I send you a 20 spot and you get mine in the mail tomorrow? Thanks babe. Ciao.

peanuckle
04-14-2004, 09:49 PM
It is kind of scary that I have spent 1/18 of my entire life waiting for this product....it seems just like yesterday that I heard it was announced and preordered..OK so it was over a year ago, but still. I am still waiting for my email confirmation, but hey I am used to waiting. This just made my week though. I cannot wait to get my hands on that baby.

I have a question on shipping. Is newtek going to send out my who pre-ordered first or just the draw out of the hat technique?

Tanner

Aegis Prime
04-14-2004, 10:01 PM
YAAAAAAHOOOOOO!

:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

G3D
04-14-2004, 10:01 PM
I paid $100 extra for my upgrade to get the manuals. The rep I spoke to said they would be printed in a 3-Ring Binder...is that still the case?

G3D
04-14-2004, 10:04 PM
Can't wait.

Para
04-14-2004, 10:10 PM

This sounds a bit illogical to me but who cares as long as I get what I've bought! :D

BillB
04-14-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Para
This sounds a bit illogical to me but who cares as long as I get what I've bought! :D

Illogical? Not sure I want to do a 2.5Gb download!

Phyrea
04-14-2004, 10:21 PM
I also ordered the extra $99 manuals/box convenience upgrade. When I spoke to Customer Service (Richard) to confirm my shipping address and e-mail address (about 3 weeks ago?) he stated that those who ordered the manuals/box would receive two shipments. The first will be the "electronic upgrade" 4-CD pack. The second should arrive a couple weeks later, and include the box/manuals, etc.

milqman
04-14-2004, 10:30 PM
wow.
how does it go from 1 CD to 4?

jjburton
04-14-2004, 10:50 PM
WHOO HOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Phil Lawson
04-14-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by milqman
wow.
how does it go from 1 CD to 4?

Lightwave = 1CD
Content = 2CD's
3rd Party Sampler = 1 CD :)

Claymation
04-14-2004, 10:55 PM
great news.

Contents of the CDs where posted ages ago. Chuck will have to confirm this but;
1 was software
2 were content,
1 was videos, training i think.

If you got adobe creative suite you would see what they mean by dvd 4cd case. It has sleaves to hold multiple cds in it. Kind of like those dvds that have a dvd of the movie and one of the special features. The 4cd version just has 2 discs per sleave.

I just got my email so I am excited to see the package show up on my desk when I get into work one morning.

KenM
04-14-2004, 11:33 PM
Props and Congratulations, to Chuck and Newtek - does it feel like benchpressing 800 pounds, or step-by-step progress over rough terrain? Time to celebrate!

Thanks for the special offer, I'm happy to own and use DFX+.

The Adobe Creative Suite packaging is attractive and a fine way to keep the CDs together. Can't wait to see Newtek's styling.

Cheers!:beer: and more :beer:

Signal2Noise
04-14-2004, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by G3D
I paid $100 extra for my upgrade to get the manuals....

How did you manage to do that in advance? I want to pony up the chump change as well but haven't seen an option to do so yet. I paid for the full 7.5 + [8] upgrade and DFX+ but couldn't seem to order the hardcopy [8] manuals at that time. Guess I'll do it once NewTek gets the ball rolling...

Got THE EMAIL already. Can't wait for the next couple of weeks!:thumbsup:

Beamtracer
04-14-2004, 11:59 PM
The Newtek development staff should go out and celebrate. Hit the town and party!

Psyhke
04-15-2004, 12:00 AM
What exactly is a "DVD case"?

ArtisticVisions
04-15-2004, 12:07 AM
Just got my email about the release as well.
Let the rejoicing commence...... :beer: :thumbsup: :applause:

Orkman
04-15-2004, 12:10 AM
Yeah I am confused now. I paid the $495 for the upgrade from 7.0. Does that mean I do NOT get the new manual and box eventually? What is the $99 thing for?

Spacemanbob
04-15-2004, 12:18 AM
Ok this is a little confusing. I got Lightwave and but here is where the confusion starts. I didn't get an UV Edit Pro email or an autoconfirmation email like it talks about. If I did I surely don't remember it. I have 7.5 so I know I am eligible for the 8 upgrade. Anyone else not get the UV edit Pro email or the autoconfirmation email they talk about in this email we all seem to have gotten.

Mechis
04-15-2004, 12:29 AM
@spacemanbob-- this is also in the e-mail:

If you do have concerns because you have made an eligible purchase and have not received your UV Edit Pro bonus information or the address confirmation email, you may contact our customer service staff to confirm your status. Customer Services can be reached by email at cs@newtek.com, or by phone at 1-800-862-7837 or 210-370-8000. Customer Service lines are open Monday through Friday from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM and 2:00 PM to 5:00 PM, US Central Time.

@Orkman
As I understand it, if you pre-ordered LW8, you will get a .pdf version of the manual. If you want a hard copy, you will have to pay $99

Orkman
04-15-2004, 12:43 AM
Oh ok that clears things up. Thanks Mechis.

pblacklock
04-15-2004, 12:57 AM
:buttrock:

Can You Feel the excitement?

within two weeks, we'll have it in our hands.

boing boing boing

bouncing of joy here

RudeYuut
04-15-2004, 04:01 AM
Man this good news and bad news. The good news is lightwave will finally be released, the bad news is that I won't be in the country to get the upgrade. Guess I'll have to call up customer service to make some arrangements.

Signal2Noise
04-15-2004, 04:51 AM
So, now that [8] is just around the corner when will the bitching for [9] start?
;)

BillB
04-15-2004, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by Signal to Noise
So, now that [8] is just around the corner when will the bitching for [9] start?
;)

Ooh, is 9 coming? When!? When!?

Nemoid
04-15-2004, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by Signal to Noise
;)

Lw 9 ? mine, mine, mine mine...:scream:

BTW the party starts...

:buttrock:

Para
04-15-2004, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by BillB
Illogical? Not sure I want to do a 2.5Gb download!

For me the illogical part is to call something that's sent by snailmail "electronic". But like I said, who cares as long as I get what I've paid for :)

Bangladesh
04-15-2004, 01:39 PM
Huh? When asking my retailer (swedish one) he says that there will only be a electronically upgrade available for download and no CD's sent out to customers unless you pay $99 more, but here it states that there will be no download available for the upgrade?

Have I been suckered?! :surprised
I'll gladly download 2.5 gigs, just give me my upgrade, phu-phuleeeze! :cry:

shok
04-15-2004, 01:56 PM
:rock:

devin
04-15-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Bangladesh
Huh? When asking my retailer (swedish one) he says that there will only be a electronically upgrade available for download and no CD's sent out to customers unless you pay $99 more, but here it states that there will be no download available for the upgrade?

Have I been suckered?! :surprised
I'll gladly download 2.5 gigs, just give me my upgrade, phu-phuleeeze! :cry:

I think they decided some time ago that the download for the program + content + bonus materials was too large so they opted to mail out cd's instead. Printed manuals, etc. will be the $99 fee option. Use of the term "electronic upgrade" is sort of confusing.

roguenroll
04-15-2004, 02:10 PM
cool, good to see we're finally getting down to the wire.

modernhorse
04-15-2004, 02:11 PM
As I understand it, if you pre-ordered LW8, you will get a .pdf version of the manual. If you want a hard copy, you will have to pay $99

Does anyone know where the link to ordering the printed manuals is? I've looked on the newtek site but can't find that option. Thanks.

Signal2Noise
04-15-2004, 02:25 PM
Be patient, modernhorse. I'm sure NewTek will provide the details for ordering hardcopy manuals as soon as [8] actually starts leaving their doors.:thumbsup:

Bangladesh
04-15-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by devin
I think they decided some time ago that the download for the program + content + bonus materials was too large so they opted to mail out cd's instead. Printed manuals, etc. will be the $99 fee option. Use of the term "electronic upgrade" is sort of confusing.

Yes. Just called up my retailer and asked him about it and he just gotten a mail explaining the situation. He was also confused with the "electronic upgrade"-term and wasn't aware that there would be no downloadable upgrade. Anyway, all shipping is handled by newtek (he thought so anyway) so that means that there should be no worries since all purchases is registered with newtek. :thumbsup:

But he was not so little upset about not being told that there would be no download until now, I can tell you that! ;)

rock
04-15-2004, 02:34 PM
I think we all shouldn't be too excited - since Newtek might follow the LW8 launch with a LW9 announcement. :)

modernhorse
04-15-2004, 02:34 PM
Be patient, modernhorse. I'm sure NewTek will provide the details for ordering hardcopy manuals as soon as [8] actually starts leaving their doors.

Its no prob... i'm patient. I just thought some had already done so. I've got enough reading material to keep me busy until then thats for sure. Cheers Signal to Noise.

JD-DCH
04-15-2004, 04:04 PM
:beer: Yeah Baby!!!

JD - the one what does the WooHoo Dance of WooHooness :thumbsup:

JD-DCH
04-15-2004, 04:05 PM
Is it here yet? :thumbsup:

JD - the one what makes friends with his postal carrier ... :applause:

RedEyes
04-16-2004, 08:28 AM
yay ! great news :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.