PDA

View Full Version : Machineflesh 2D Challenge Entry: Ryan Summers

WillRyan
04-14-2004, 10:04 PM
Ryan Summers has entered the Machineflesh 2D Challenge.

WillRyan
04-14-2004, 10:45 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/3317/3317_1081979123_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/3317/3317_1081979123_large.jpg)

I just finished reading Hellboy, and I've had tentacles on my mind. The idea behind this sketch came from me wondering what Rasputin may have done if something else popped outta Hell; like a baby-tentacle-pseudopod-monster-thing. Would he stick arms and legs on it, and make it a Cthulu shocktrooper?

Further ideas for the design would be to integrate more soldier gear; maybe also design a four legged version as a vehicle or beast of burden? Any comments or ideas would be appreciated, and good luck to everybody!

brunowerneck
04-16-2004, 07:02 AM
Ryan,

I was looking at your sketch, and your design looks really fun !
I like how this thing is vomiting on itself...ha ha ha.
I say, try not to lose that as you develop it further...

But it's the belly area of your baby-tentacle-pseudopod-monster-Cthulu-shocktroope that really caught my attention.

First thing that came to my mind was a underdeveloped alien creature whose primary functions are similar to those of a human stomach. The alien would be trapped between mechanical legs and torso, and since it's got weak tentacles, the creature would have to rely on its mechanical parts to be able to walk around, look for food, and eat.

The mechanical piece sitting on top of its torso along the neck would be a mechanical digestive system. This creature is so weak it would also need to have food pre-digested before it actually gets to him.

Waaaay off what you had in mind, isnt' it ? At least it got you thinking of something else other than Hellboy for a couple of seconds... ;)

Other than my lame idea above, my only artistic adivice for now would be to ask yourself which route you wanna go: cartoony, realistic... and make sure the answer is very clear in your skecth.

Right now it looks cartoony to me. Something like Earth Worm Jim or something you would see in a Aardman film . If that's case, I suggest you make a few more explorations, trying to vary your shapes and playing around with your proportions even more, so it looks slick and unique (hey, that rhymed...).

That's it for now, nice work and, I'll be watching you buddy
Bruno

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.