PDA

View Full Version : Modeling: TimeLapse Video 1: Human Mouth

Dave Black
04-14-2004, 05:56 PM
Hey guys. :D

Here's a 15 minute(compressed down to about 1 minute) time lapse of a little study I did last week.

http://www.3dzealot.com/edu/modeling/timelapse_vids/15min_Mouth_TL_thumb.jpg

It's Max 5.1, CSPolytools, Meshtools, and the tubecap primative talked about in the Theoretical Sub-D thread.

It uses the TechSmith codec (yes, I know everyone has DIVX, but I just don't like how it compresses stuff like this).

You can get the 176kb Techsmith codec installer >>>HERE<<< (http://www.getafile.com/cgi-bin/merlot/get/techsmith/TSCC.exe)

>>>DOWNLOAD 8.8MB TIMELAPSE VID HERE<<< (http://www.3dzealot.com/edu/modeling/timelapse_vids/Dave_Black_Techsmith_15min_Mouth_TL.avi)

[EDIT: Do to comments, I've reduced the speed by about 35%. You can get the slower one >>>HERE<<< (http://www.3dzealot.com/edu/modeling/timelapse_vids/Dave_Black_Techsmith_15min_Mouth_TL_SLOW.avi)

Oh, and yes, the proportions are off a bit. Hey, I did it in 15 minutes. Gimme a break.

Lemme know what you think. If you all find it usefull, I'll do a bunch more.

Cheers! :beer:

-Dave

PiledotNET
04-14-2004, 06:17 PM
Plugged at redpixel

http://www.redpixel.com.br/newsdetails.asp?newsdate=14/04/2004&newstime=15:14:50

Best regards,

ishpal
04-14-2004, 06:25 PM
thanx
but 3dzealot i hav become old waiting for ur pdf(for theoratical subdivision) to come to me.
when will u give it to me

Tims0l
04-14-2004, 06:26 PM
dont want to be anoying but...
where can I find the codec for it ?

Dave Black
04-14-2004, 06:29 PM
The link is in my first post.

-Dave

EDIT: PiledotNET, that's really cool! I hope your users find it usefull.

-Dave

Tims0l
04-14-2004, 07:13 PM
oh sorry didnt saw that.

but I like the little tutorial kinda thingy
it interesting to see how a human face is build up and tweaker by a pro

thanx for sharing!

SimonReeves
04-14-2004, 07:27 PM
nice one cheers

can you slow it down a bit more, it is well quick :)

Dave Black
04-14-2004, 07:51 PM
Ok, since you and a few of the mods have seen it, you've all mentioned the speed. So I've reduced the speed by about 35%.

You can grab the new slower one >>>HERE<<< (http://www.3dzealot.com/edu/modeling/timelapse_vids/Dave_Black_Techsmith_15min_Mouth_TL_SLOW.avi)

Perhaps now, there won't be any seizures. :eek:

:D

-Dave

Sas.hun
04-14-2004, 08:12 PM
Nice Tutorial! :thumbsup: :beer:

Equinoxx
04-14-2004, 08:20 PM
ah much better dave. no finish it up ;) with the nose and eyes to match hehe

Alucard1703
04-14-2004, 09:42 PM
Thanks, thats a nice tutorial :applause: Would be cool, if you do some more tutorials...

MRAY
04-14-2004, 09:55 PM
Very Nice Dave Thanks!

You should do a vid on each part of the head - nose, eye etc...

SimonReeves
04-14-2004, 10:17 PM
nice one dave

[hehe only just noticed you changed your name..... to your name]

Iain McFadzen
04-14-2004, 10:23 PM
Aye gid, I like it :)

mica-ela
04-15-2004, 10:45 AM
Hi Dave!!

I just downloaded your tutorial, I can't wait to see it, but it seems to be simply great.
Thanks a lot.
Mica-ela:wavey:

Dave Black
04-15-2004, 02:43 PM
mica- ela: You're very welcome. I hope you enjoy it.

Iain McFadzen: High praise indeed coming from you. At least I got your name spelled right this time ;).

Simon.Reeves: Glad you liked it. Yeah, I just had to get rid of that rediculous screen name. Besides, using my real name is just more honest. Makes me think before I speak. I need to do that more. :rolleyes:

MRAY: Thanks! I'm actually working on more vids that do exactly that. I think I might make a whole character out of this, using each vid as a starting point for the next. It's just really easy to make these with camtasia. I'll have more soon.

Alucard1703: Thanks! I'm working on 'em during my lunch breaks.

Sas.hun: Thanks! Glad you liked it.

Tims0l: I'd hardley call myself a "pro", but it is indeed a nice compliment. It's fun to share technique. Modeling videos(like Martin Krol's) really helped me in the past, and it's fun to be able to give out something like this.

ishpal: Hehe...yeah...the pdf....*runs and hides*...er...I'll get back to you on that one. :D

To everyone that's downloaded and viewed this sucker, I want to thank you for taking the time, and I hope that this will be a neat little set of videos for the community. I'm going to be writing out the theory behind why I do it this way on my site when they are all done.

Thanks for stopping by!

-Dave

Dream_In_Motion
04-16-2004, 02:37 AM
thank you

first I would like to say " You rock!!!":buttrock:

it has taught me much about how the mouth should be formed..
I had lot of difficulties in the past with it..

Cheers

Tex3D
04-16-2004, 03:10 PM
As usual Sir.. I bid thee a :bowdown:

-Dave

Dave Black
04-16-2004, 07:54 PM
Hehe..

Right back at ya, Tex!

-Dave

thorn3d
04-17-2004, 12:50 AM
Nice vid, Dave. Question - what are you using to capture it?

thorn

Dave Black
04-17-2004, 06:22 AM
I am using Camtasia Studio. It's an entire screen capture system.

www.techsmith.com

The demo is fully functional for 30 days. I highly recommend it. Especially for the techsmith codec. It's nearly lossless, and compact as anything.

I set the recorder up to take 1 capture every second. It's alot easier on system overhead than attempting to cap straight video. The program works great for that sort of thing, but I knew that most of the frames would get lost in this instance.

It's nice because I can also begin the recorder and pause it by hitting the F9 key.Which is cool when I have to take a phone call, I can just stop the recorder, do a bunch of other things and then jump right back into it.

I captured the video at 1280X1024(full screen for me). I wanted to be able to scale it to whatever size I wanted, and still have a master copy to give to people if they wanted to be able to read the spinner values, etc.

After I recorded the 1:1 video, ie, 15 minutes at 1 frame per second, but playing back in realtime, I took it into premiere and increased the speed to 1200%. I then reduce the size(aspect) to half of the original, and recompressed it using the techsmith codec with colors in the thousands.

It seems to have worked really well. I've done another 4 of them today. I don't want to release 'em yet, as I'm still choosing which way I want to show, but It's a great program.

Check it out.

-Dave

thorn3d
04-17-2004, 07:02 AM
EXCELLENT info. Thank you! :)

thorn

luigi
04-18-2004, 10:40 AM
great video tutorial thanks a lot for spent your time in tutorials for the rest of the people can learn a bit.
:applause:

one question im trying to use cspolytools with max 6 but when I try to use makepoly or others tools.

i have this Maxscript macroscript error exception:

type error: Call needs fuction or class ,got undefined.

i have copied al the .mcr files to the ui/macroscript folder

and the .ms to the script/start up and stdpuglins/stdcript

is thta correct or the situation for the files or incorrect folder destinations inside max6 folder.

PiXeL_MoNKeY
04-18-2004, 12:00 PM
You need to get CSPolytools (http://www.scriptspot.com/Main_Scripts.asp?Sort=Name&BrowseType=Search&SearchField=cspolytools) for max6 that was reworked by Benjamen Slack.

luigi
04-18-2004, 12:20 PM
i have this version istalled and continue having the same problems.

does cspolytools need to have another things installed.

csdisolve works good but push and make poly doesnt.

it can be that i have service pack 1 installed :).

PiXeL_MoNKeY
04-18-2004, 12:40 PM
Nope works fine here with sp1...You do need meshtools installed as some of the calls refer to meshtools functions. Meshtools 3 is provided on the max 6 samples cd in the script area. I think its in the lazlosscripts.zip file or something like that.

luigi
04-18-2004, 01:16 PM
yes it was rthat you need meshtools 3 installed ,.

:thumbsup:

thanks a lot cire0321 :) time to modeling :bounce:

MRAY
04-18-2004, 10:52 PM
Can someone help me install CS polytools the reworked one?
Where do i put the files and doesnt it come with any bmp's?

Thanks!

luigi
04-19-2004, 12:57 AM
ok hear we go :

first you need to install the meshtool3 .

is in the cd 3 of max.

in the folder /Scripts/Samples/laszlo_Scripts.zip

copy the mcr files to 3dsmax6/ui/MacroScripts

all the ms files to 3dsmax6/ui/macroscripts

copy the new icon files (all .bmp s) to ui/icons and ui/discreet

now the same for the cspolytools reworked

opy the mcr files to 3dsmax6/ui/MacroScripts

all the ms files to 3dsmax6/ui/macroscripts

and you probably wants the icons for cspolytools what i have done is a downloaded the version of cspolytools for max 4 of the subagio website, and only use the icons dont use the ms or mcr files.

opy the this icon files (all .bmp s) to ui/icons and ui/discreet

subagio website (http://www.3dluvr.com/subagio/cspolytools.html)

MRAY
04-19-2004, 01:41 AM
Put the maxscript files in the macro scripts folder?

THanks!

Dave Black
04-19-2004, 02:31 AM
I'm actually really glad you guys are getting these, as I use them rather frequently in my next video.

-Dave

SimonReeves
04-19-2004, 10:57 AM
yay cspolytools for max 6!

nice one fellas, I didnt know there was one, good old make poly from verts, and untangle

mmmm

:thumbsup:

MRAY
04-19-2004, 06:06 PM
So am i putting the maxscript file in the macroscripts folder
is that right?

Thanks!

X5.
04-20-2004, 01:20 AM
for the .ms file if it doesnt work in 3dsmax6/ui/macroscripts

try

3dsmax6\stdplugs\stdscripts

MRAY
04-20-2004, 08:02 AM
Thanks i'll try that!

-Mray-

MRAY
04-20-2004, 10:09 PM
Thanks it worked!

-Mray-

The-Observer
04-20-2004, 11:01 PM
Thx, it's a very usefull video, but can you please explain how you made that skin shader, if it's no problem that is.:D

Joebount
04-20-2004, 11:47 PM
Nice and effective ! :)

dagoof
04-21-2004, 12:14 AM
Thank you sir for thinking of all us noobs, who desperately need your guidance.

ambient-whisper
04-22-2004, 01:44 AM
nice vid.
some tips though :)

try out different settings for playback,

so say you have 2-3 fps for record per second ( what i recommend). then you should make the playback speed at 10fps.

another thing to look out for is that at those speeds it can be hard to see whats going on. so you might want to have a separate view dedicated to being a bit more stable, and only rotate it when you need to.

Dave Black
04-22-2004, 02:04 AM
ambient- whisper:

Hey, thanks a ton for the advice, Martin! It's your time lapse vids that inspired me to do my own. Hell, I've been watching the MKFreak video you made for years now. Hehe.

Anyway, I sorta made this one as a test of camtasia. I'm gonna try to cap at the rate you suggested and playback at 10fps. Sounds good.

Remember nendo? I loved how you could do a script capture.

Anyway, thanks for the tips, man!

dagoof: Oh cool! I'm really glad it was helpful. This is certainly spuring me on to do more. :D

Joebount: High praise coming from one such as yourself. :D Thanks, bro.

The_Observer: Yeah, I think I can give an explination on that skin shader. Maybe I'll write a little tutorial.

Thanks for the input and feedback guys!

-Dave

harnelbe
05-16-2004, 01:46 AM
:bounce: :bounce:
i'm very happy to have found your topic !!!
("Thanks to the links attached to the signatures !!")
i was looking for something like that since a long time ! i have used "harchaicals" technic to do my WIPGIF (see link below attached to my signature)
Thanks a lot for sharing !!!
Cu soon !

HARNELBE
=A=

gaggle
07-10-2004, 09:55 AM
Hell yeah, this is great Zea, uh, Dave! Thanks a bundle. It's an area I feel I've had trouble with since the dawn of time.

Oh and let's say this makes up for The Lost PDF™ :).

oglu
07-13-2004, 07:09 PM
fine fine... work...

pollywoggles
07-14-2004, 06:22 AM
Wow. I just finished your tutorial. It was really well done. I don't know Max but I got it translated into Maya fine.

Dave Black
07-14-2004, 06:08 PM
Thanks a ton for all the support, feedback, and kind words guys!

I just made a new one. You can get it here:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=155357

-Dave

VectorWrecktar
07-30-2004, 09:07 PM
im having trouble downloading this vid...its an 404 error, did david take it down?

but im kinda happy how peeps are helping each other i mean damn i could never afford to go to training centers....
keep up the good work

Dave Black
07-31-2004, 01:24 AM
Don't know why it's down, but go here and get this vid, it's MUCH better:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=155357

-Dave

kyrt
08-01-2004, 05:20 AM
wht happen? i cant download.

javierdl
08-08-2004, 12:48 AM
Yes I guess it's no longer available :(
Which is too bad, 'cause I came a bit too late to grab it too :(
Hey Dave, should you need some web-space to host it let me know, it'd be my pleasure to help ;)

DPC

T.D.A
08-08-2004, 04:44 AM
i have dawnload it to my computer:bounce:

maybe some day i will chek it :thumbsup:

thanks man i like your tut :scream:

MR3D_HABIBY
10-15-2004, 03:41 AM
Dave

Thank You More

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.