PDA

View Full Version : rigid bodies???

icedeyes
07-11-2002, 09:11 AM
I am working in a scene that simulates a rock falling on a cliffside and then colliding with a mountain causing rocks to fall. In maya i could just turn the rock, mountain and cliff in rigid bodies, applying gravity to the rock to make it slide automatically. My question is: how do i make a rigid body in softimage and how do i make it collide with other objects. As far as i know I can only make cloth, softbodies and particles react to the set obstacle options. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Atyss
07-11-2002, 01:57 PM
Is it for XSI or SI3D?

In XSI you don't have rigid bodies, plain and simple.

In SI3D there are. (sorry can't guide, I didn't play a lot with this).

Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

icedeyes
07-12-2002, 09:00 AM
Thanks Atyss for your reply. I am using XSI. No rigid bodies??? :surprised :thumbsdow How can a top notch program not have rigid bodies??? I mean how come they cut all the best features from 3d when moving to xsi?? No metaballs and no rigid bodies.... So how am i supposed to animate this scene relistically?? A path animation won't give a realistic feel while hand shaped animaation is a nuisance if you want a detailed motion. I tried making a softbody act like a rigid one but the best i got was it not deforming while falling on the cliffside... when it hit the maoountain it became squased like jello or something... Does anybody have an idea about animating these type of scenes in XSI?? Thanks in advance....

Vic3k
07-12-2002, 11:38 AM
well don't be so harsh on XSI, it's still young, they can't do all at once. give it some time. i'm sure in version 3.0 there will be rigit bodies. i mean there are so many features in soft3d and nor xsi nor other programs have. to think that they will not move those features from 3d to xsi is wrong. they will eventually.

but yah, rigit bodies would be nice. i could set up a really nice wheel animation for my tank for demo reel. but hopefully they release version 3.0 in the next 6 months with rigit bodies so i can still use it for my wheel animation, my reel is due in 7 months :/

your only way is hand animating for now :hmm:

icedeyes
07-13-2002, 09:19 AM
Thanks vic for your repply and good luck with your demo-reel.... As I said in another forum i really love XSI but this is kind of a stepback for Softimage (and my project) if you think about it... I will try ro move and rotate the boulder by hand but it is hard to calculate how gravity will react... Maybe I will try to write a script for gravity emulation or rigid objects but i doubt that i will be able to make them detect colisions with my current scrippting knowledge..... Sigh:annoyed: :cry:..... Softimage fans lets come together to persuade Avid to put rigid body dynamics in XSI pronto....

sean_G
08-02-2002, 06:54 AM
you might get away with solving the dynamic with softbody...
saving the SRT animation values and the muting or removing the softbody dynamic...

icedeyes
08-02-2002, 08:35 AM
I'll give it a try but i think that it will cross the other object due to the deformation that a softbody is comited to... Anyway... I will try it... thanks a lot for your reply....

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.