PDA

View Full Version : FPrime is the way to go

Spacemanbob
04-13-2004, 02:38 AM
I am so in love with Lightwave now, thanks to Fprime. It has doubled the work I have been able to do, especially in early modeling. I recently make a simple model with some transparency and LW took 1 hour 30 minutes to render it. Fprime rendered it the same exact way in only 10 minutes, and that was when I hit end to stop it.

I am sure all of you are tired of hearing this but if you can save your pennies get this product.

And now for your enjoyment.

http://www.fanta.dk/showmovie.asp?mid=8EAD5524-0EA4-4EBA-860A-944C083D7E3B

Psyhke
04-13-2004, 04:25 AM
Heheehee.

Yep, FPrime is quite nice, current limitations notwithstanding.

Signal2Noise
04-13-2004, 05:35 AM
Yup, this past weekend I was working on a scene using volumetric lighting. Fired up FPrime in order to do some tweaking and...DOH!...forgot that FPrime doesn't support vol's at this time.

Aside from that FP really rocks. Money well spent (especially at the special offer!) :thumbsup:

peanuckle
04-13-2004, 05:47 AM
Fprime will get a lot better really soon. I am sure when worley is done counting all of their money they will add all the requested features that we all want. :)

pea~

Aegis Prime
04-13-2004, 06:17 AM
To hell with the extra features - I can wait for them - I want dual CPU support now! :buttrock:

Psyhke
04-13-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by peanuckle
... I am sure when worley is done counting all of their money they will add all the requested features that we all want. :)

So...we're lookin' at some time in 2006 then? :scream:

lede
04-13-2004, 04:28 PM
I hope not in 2006 that would be a really long wait.

Anyway's F-Prime really has helped me in my modeling efforts. Yeah there are some new things to remember but darn you can do so many more tweeks and get quick results. What used to take me day's now only takes me a few hours!

Like someone said earlier save your pennies FP is worth the price in time it will save you down the road.

-Lee

SP1R1T
04-13-2004, 05:37 PM
Oh yeah, definitely been a blast. FPrime makes lighting fun.

But is anyone else still having wierd radiosity issues even after the latest update?

Orkman
04-13-2004, 06:36 PM
So how do you compensate for the lack of Vols. Just do it in LW standard render, or can you do it in a layer or something? Or an alpha?

How does one solve that?

retinajoy
04-13-2004, 07:09 PM
Simply render the volumetrics in the native renderer separately to the FPrime stuff and composite together useing something like DFX+.

Maybe Worley will write a super fast hypervoxing volumetric killer of a plugin to work with FPrime. :cool:

lwgal
04-13-2004, 08:12 PM
Are you using the previewer or the renderer? I am doing exclusively radiosity renders at the moment on a project I'm finishing up and in the previewer it takes 40+ passes on some angles to clean up the blotchiness. However with the renderer it's pretty clear by pass 2!!!! I don't think there's any comparison between the two when you are looking for final product with radiosity.

Originally posted by SP1R1T
Oh yeah, definitely been a blast. FPrime makes lighting fun.

But is anyone else still having wierd radiosity issues even after the latest update?

Dodger_
04-13-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by lwgal
Are you using the previewer or the renderer? I am doing exclusively radiosity renders at the moment on a project I'm finishing up and in the previewer it takes 40+ passes on some angles to clean up the blotchiness. However with the renderer it's pretty clear by pass 2!!!! I don't think there's any comparison between the two when you are looking for final product with radiosity. Yeah but the FPrime previewer is designed to get something showing in the window as quickly as possible so Worley starts the render at a much coarser grain than he probably does with the renderer. He can make trade-offs for each type, as well.

minus
04-13-2004, 11:55 PM
Yea... i think the renderer just does more work per pass than the previewer too as the renderer is writing a lot of info to the hard drive on every 1/2 pass. Time per time.. don't think there is much difference... (never did any testing actually)... but the number of passes certainly don't equal the same quality settings.

SP1R1T
04-14-2004, 12:14 AM
Renderer vs. previewer. Hmmm...

I shall run some tests later this week.

HowardM
04-14-2004, 04:17 PM
The final render passes approx equals 1/10 the preview passes.

lwgal
04-14-2004, 04:55 PM
I did some tests last night and although I didn't get to finish my previewer test (it stopped saving on me again on my 4th image and I decided to exit and restart LightWave and never got back to it), the renderer seems to produce much better results much quicker. I let it run 10 passes at about 90 seconds each (about 15 minutes total time) and I probably could have used pass 8 or 9 with my image. After about 7 minutes with the previewer it was nowhere near clearing up the blotchiness that was already long gone by that point with the renderer. I would guess it would have taken probably double that to clear it up as well.....

That said, I don't think I'd feel that they are competing with each other for your renders (except perhaps in non-radiosity work for a still image) as both have areas that they are designed to fulfull, the previewer being the only way to quickly see your scene and modify elements and the renderer being the only way you can get motion blur and to do animations with as well as to do images larger than 1024X1024.

I can't wait till they get more features in it! I love it!!!!

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.