PDA

View Full Version : Bones

griffdrc
04-12-2004, 11:07 PM
i can't figure out what i missed... when i move the bones the object does not move... i'm trying to follow albee's LW7 Charactor Animation book... i keep reading over the steps but can't find one that i've missed... i applied the weight maps... ik is enabled... the bones are active... any ideas cuz i have no clue and this is my second try... thanxs

SimianLogic
04-12-2004, 11:47 PM
Sorry if this seems like a stupid suggestion, but are you sure the bones are in the correct object? Could they be on the wrong layer or attached to a null?

oimooki
04-13-2004, 03:05 AM
i haven't read the book myself, but

are the skin and bones in the same layer?

peanuckle
04-13-2004, 03:11 AM
Make sure that your model is in layer one. Then your bones are in layer 2. Then in layout have layer one selected hit P then click on the bones tab at the bottom. Make sure layer one is using the bones set at layer 2. Hopefully that makes sense. Other than that I dont really know what the problem could be...

Tanner

griffdrc
04-13-2004, 03:22 AM
i have the object in layer 1 and the skelegons are in layer 2... do the skelegons need to be on the same layer as the object in modeler? if i change layers will that affect my weight maps? i coverted the skelegons to bones in layout and applied the weight maps correctly... i have nulls to direct the direction of the bones... is there another place you have to attach them? thanxs... and the suggestion isn't stupid... i think its something simple but i'm not sure what... this is my first time trying to use skelegons...

peanuckle
04-13-2004, 03:25 AM
did you tell Layer one to use bones from object Layer 2 on the bones item properties panel?

Tanner

griffdrc
04-13-2004, 04:53 AM
sorry about my last post but your post didn't show yet... ok p brings up the item property window... i click the object and then the bone and i don't see where to see if it applies the bones to layer one... please explain more...

SplineGod
04-13-2004, 07:51 AM
Its at the top of the bones properties - Use Bones from Object:
I would cut/paste the skelegons into the same layer as the object then convert them to bones. Its just easier and requires less thought.
The 2nd thing is that I wouldnt even use weight maps. Lightwave bones work as soon as you activate them. Using weight maps on every bone is nuts IMO. :) Its lots of extra work that you probably dont need to do. You can still go back later and turn weights on if y ou want but set the bone falloff to ^128 and try that.
Bones work as soon as you REST them (r key). :)

tnyplz
04-13-2004, 08:11 AM
I am using albee's book right now as well to rig a character, the next problem I had was setting all the bones to use weight maps only. By default they were set to use distance. Over all I have to say that I was pretty happy with that style of rigging, compared to others that I have tried.

SplineGod
04-13-2004, 08:30 AM
grff,
My experience is that its generally best to use weight maps as a tool of last resort. I rarely use them in fact. As I said, bones work as soon as theyre activated. Trying to tune weight maps is a real pain and very time consuming.
IF I ever have to use them I typically keep them VERY simple. For instance I may have one weight maps for both arms. A single weight map can be shared among multiple bones.
I typically determine where Im having deformation issues. I try and solve them first with an extra hold bone or two. Only after that do I think about going down the weight map path. Why go thru the pain when its likely not needed. Adding a hold bone here or there is so much easier to do then adding weight maps. :)
Using weight maps only IMO is the most difficult way to try and rig. Bones work fine. :)

PixelInfected
04-13-2004, 12:32 PM
and less weightmap you add to models, faster is deformation and animation, lw tend to be slow with weightmaps, especially on subdiv. if you can avoid, don't add weightmap until are last resource.

suggest of Splinegod is a gold.

griffdrc
04-13-2004, 11:45 PM
wow... thanx for the info... i've got alot to change and try... i'll post a pic or two when i get it to work...

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.