PDA

View Full Version : keeping the texture projection after subdivision

grendizer
07-11-2002, 06:10 AM
Hi
I just textured a poly object.
Did a lot of tweakings in the texture editor.
Now I want to subdivide, but not with the geometry approx method.
I want to use the "model" toolbar > create > subdivision.
How to I keep my UV's after the subdivided object is created?
I searched the docs with no luck.
grendi

dmonk
07-11-2002, 12:55 PM
Go to edit\duplicat:instaniate\duplicate using geometry approximation. That will copy the texture projection.:wavey:

dmonk
07-11-2002, 12:55 PM
p.s.

Use geometry approximation first. then do the steps mentioned.

grendizer
07-12-2002, 04:12 PM
Hi Dmonk.
Thanks for your help.

But I don't want to use geometry approximation and the catmull-clark subdivision algorythm.
I want the doo-sabin subdiv.
The reason is that I need to avoid the loss of volume caused by the catmull-clark algorythm.
Then I need to use :
model toolbar > create > poly.mesh > subdivision.

But if I use this, is it possible to send the texture projection from the original object to the subdivided one?

grendi :curious:

dmonk
07-12-2002, 04:27 PM
sorry.
The only way that I know how to maintain the texture porjection from a low poly model to a high poly model is by duplicating with geometry approximation.

I usually don't use doo sabin so I wouldn't know.
Maybe you can go into preferences and change the geometry aproximation to use doo sabin by defualt when you do geometry approx. I don't know if that will work but you might be able to give it a try.

Sorry I couldn't help.

Atyss
07-12-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by grendizer
Then I need to use :
model toolbar > create > poly.mesh > subdivision.

But if I use this, is it possible to send the texture projection from the original object to the subdivided one?

I'm speculating here, but XSI 2.0 is supposed to keep the projections on the subdivision object. Is your projection frozen (converted to Explicit_UVW)? If not, perhaps this is the cause of the problem.

Hope this helps
Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

grendizer
07-13-2002, 09:09 AM
Thanks both for your help, I'll try that and tell you if it works.
:)

grendizer
07-13-2002, 03:05 PM
Well I just checked and it still does not work :(
My texture support object was already frozen long ago.
I selected the polygon mesh.
Then model > create > poly mesh > subdivision
Chose Doo sabin
With the new object selected, I opened the texture editor
In the UV menu : "none defnied" :hmm:
So is it only possible with the geo approx method?
grendi

Vic3k
07-13-2002, 09:11 PM
as far as i remember you can go to GET>PROPERTIES>GEOMetry approximatioin. now there change it to doosabin and change subd level. and then with doosabin gapproxed go and duplicate from geometryapproximation.

i'm pritty sure i saw doosabin in geometryapprox options. if i'm wrong then sorry. don't have xsi opened here

grendizer
07-14-2002, 02:34 AM
Doo sabin in geometry approximation does not exist, but is on the "to do list" of Softimage's programmers.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.