PDA

View Full Version : do you believe in rhythm?

yinako
04-12-2004, 11:12 AM
Do you think theres rhythms in modeling, sometimes you could go fast and do good in couple of minutes, at other time when you don't have rythum you struggle to move a single vertex, and fustrate it doesn't look right.

Like sometimes you are on a roll, and you model like "water" in the bruce lee's sense, the process is fluid.

I guess its like basketball, martial arts, or drawing a picture when you get the rythum you just know how to do it. Modeling is the same...I feel.

Btw I'm talking about poly modeling here, don't know its the same with nurbs, i guess not.

maX_Andrews
04-12-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by yinako
Like sometimes you are on a roll, and you model like "water" in the bruce lee's sense, the process is fluid.
I live by those words.

I tend to have good modeling "times" and bad modeling times. Sometimes it's hard to keep a rythm, especially with repetative modeling tasks, but I would say there;s definitely a "zone" the your mind can get into where polygons aren't really polygons anymore.

Ever have one of those moments where you feel like god? That everything you were trying to do came out just the way you had expected?

I get this feeling after modeling until sunrise, kept up by bottles of TeJava iced tea, eyes non blinking, facing away from the pale morning light.

Hi, my name is Max, and I am a computer graphicoholic.

xzevlin
04-12-2004, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by yinako
Do you think theres rhythms in modeling, sometimes you could go fast and do good in couple of minutes, at other time when you don't have rythum you struggle to move a single vertex, and fustrate it doesn't look right.

Definately. I spent a couple of days a few weeks back modeling a character. It started off bad and stayed bad. Nothing helped. Then one night, I decided to start fresh model and in 20 minutes, I had something much better than that first model that took days. It's the groove, the zone, the flow...

I need dim lights, some downtempo music, and sometimes the TV playing just beside my monitor to put me there. It's like the brain doesn't focus on what's its doing, it just does it, and does it well.

Jb5k1
04-13-2004, 09:11 PM
yea same here, especially with animations

i was animating a gun for a game and it was going horribly for a few days (partly cause ms3d dont have a good workflow) and i started over and within the following day i was done and i had like 6 fluid animations which i think look good in game

i like going to the beat of music and keepin at a steady pace too
it seems to help

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.