PDA

View Full Version : Easter Fire

FerdiWillemse
04-11-2004, 09:16 PM
Hi all. Tonight I shot this photo with my Canon Digital Ixus vē and retouched the levels a bit.
I don't know if these fires have a certain name in english, but in The Netherlands they are called Easter fires.

These are my neighbours enjoying the fire with their family on the other side of the field. aprox. 300 meters away. I was smart enough to take the picture through a binoculair though :D

I hope that photographs are allowed in the 2D section.

Anyway, I think it came out pretty well. Enjoy!
http://www.border-patrol.nl/~ferdi/paasvuur.jpg

whitebug
04-12-2004, 03:58 AM
looks good.. with the reflection on the water.. what does these fires signify?

FerdiWillemse
04-12-2004, 10:08 AM
I have no idea. Maybe it's a good excuse to build the biggest fires legally :)

wille
04-12-2004, 11:41 AM
the point of easter fires is to scare away witches that are coming back from their annual meeting with the devil.

well it used to be anyway.like a couple of hundred years ago.

djkno3
04-12-2004, 11:57 AM
I looked up the fires on google because I don't know about them either... They have different meanings in different places. Here in Germany they would go to the churches and put out all the lights in the church. Then they would light a huge fire and take a stick from the fire and light the lights back up in the church to symbolize "new light" or "new life". Then people would take sticks from the fire back home to light their fires. They would then take the stick they got from the church to light their fire and either leave it in the home to protect from lighting/storms etc. or bury it in the fields to bring good harvest and protect the crops. The fires also symbolize the burning of Judas but alot of places have renamed them and taken that part out of it (They use to call them Judas fires or burn a staw man in them and call him Judas). Thats about all I know :)

Pibre3d
04-12-2004, 01:42 PM
I think there was an story about it in the (dutch) Donald Duck magazine lately... :)
...which doesn't clear anything up, now when I've looked it up. :surprised
three options are given and one is: It's an easy way to get rid of your junk.

O, nice photo by the way

FerdiWillemse
04-12-2004, 02:28 PM
I think that there is no meaning for these fires in the netherlands anymore. It's just a tradition I think.

Pibre3d: Thanks :) Yes there was a story about it last week. I still read the Donald Duck every week haha :bounce:
http://www.border-patrol.nl/~ferdi/dduck.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.