PDA

View Full Version : CG and Free Software

sadwind
04-11-2004, 03:19 PM
Hi,
I'm studying a lot on CG and Programming. But i'm a lot interested in CG and Programming using LINUX....How do you experts see it??? Can you give me some ideia of How to Start well?...
Actually I'm studying C for linux and 3dSMax6 (on my own) ....

thanks a lot men!

babydog0
04-12-2004, 01:58 AM
hi sadwind,

I have used linux before, but i dont think it's a convinent system for CG or Gamedesign, but a very good system for C++ programmer and system learners.

:wavey:

sadwind
04-12-2004, 06:29 PM
HI man!

Yes i see, i have in my machine Linux Slackware 9.1 with Kernel 2.4.22 (but i'm compiling the 2.6.5 =] ) ... I knew that CG for GNU/LINUX was difficult due the problem of the softwares compatibility.

Lemme change the questiong now...

1 ) What about the softwares made for GNU/LINUX??? Ex. : GIMP, BLENDER, etc.

2) I read a notice from Macromedia that the company was making some versions of its softwares to run better with WINE, that is for who doesn't know it's a kind of emulator of Windows' API in GNU/LINUX systens, I thought this was a very good notice, for the first step i can use Macromedia softwares in GNU/LINUX, ok. But i'd to know how do you see GNU/LINUX runnig some Discreet sofwtares??? Is it possible for a far, far day in my life (hehehehe) ?????

I'm very glad in my learnig LINUX days ( =] ). Nad i would make anything that is possible to run my WINDOW$ Softwares in my Slackware!

Thanks for all men...=]

PS: I'd really love to discuss this with the people from CGTALK, it's a good thread i think, lots and lots of days just discussing about it!!!

playmesumch00ns
04-13-2004, 09:05 AM
Actually, Linux is a great system for CG. For most purposes it's much better than windows.

The only thing holding it back really is the lack of availability of some software (i.e. photoshop).

Just learn how to program in C/C++, OpenGL and 3D maths and you're away.

Unfortunately there's no Maya PLE for Linux :-(, but like you said there are plenty of solutions available.

biggy
04-13-2004, 09:59 AM
Ya, I'd love to totally replace Windows with an open source solution such as Linux or my ultimate fave OpenBSD. Wouldn't it be awsome to use all your favourite graphics apps on Linux? :) However, Windows has a huge advantage in terms of application availability and selection. I once asked a programer what development environment he used to build OpenBSD with and he told me Windows, which i thought was pretty funny.

If you're using linux, apparently you can use photoshop: http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,1210083,00.asp.

If you want to have a nice IDE on *nix to develop your C/C++, what good choices do you have? Is there anything that competes with visual studio?

If you want a nice, fast, efficient windowing system to house your OpenGL application in *nix, aren't you stuck with the slow Xwindows library? Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Xwindows use TCP connections instead of main mem directly to transfer I/O between an app and I/O devices (eg monitor or keyboard) .

playmesumch00ns
04-13-2004, 04:41 PM
Yep you're wrong. Linux is faster than windows for this sort of thing, has better memory management etc etc.

What you don't have... photoshop (well not properly)

Visual studio... this is probably a pain for a developer used to vs, but once you get your head around developing on Linux you'll enjoy the freedom it gives you.

As for windowing toolkits, well you've got as many excellent ones as you can count.

sadwind
04-13-2004, 07:01 PM
Hi, you have no idea how glad i'm seeing a discussion starting like this one, thanks for your attention men.

I'm programming in "C ANSI", to start ans after i get good on it i'll pass to C++. For GNU/LINUX I just use VI to write a program and GCC and to cpmpile it. For those who don't know, VI is a "simple" text editor.

MOst of people I know don't use an IDE to program.

As I'm still learning it I didn't understand everything that you said in the lasts threads...=/

I'd really love to understand how and why a OnpenGL and DirectX eviroments works....if you could me out there...

Thnaks a lot men...

DonMeck
04-16-2004, 11:40 AM
wings3d might be available for linux. also aztec3d

rendermaniac
04-17-2004, 12:02 AM
If you are coding on Linux do yourself a favour and use nedit. (comes standard with X in most distributions). There is a highlighting file by Peter Muyzers on highend3d which does most things you'd want to do CG. (mainly RenderMan related).

Simon

sundialsvc4
07-17-2004, 10:28 PM
Many professional products are published for Linux/Unix. When you have a full-scale render farm to deal with, the Un*x environments are much more suitable imho.

I strongly suggest that you look at Blender http://www.blender3d.org also http://www.elysiun.com. This free(!) product is no "slouch." In fact for video it might be all you'll ever need.

operativem
07-18-2004, 09:05 PM
In a way, Linux is the new "IRIX", but with a much brighter future than IRIX ever had. (I don't think IRIX was ever a $25 billion/year business.) SGI is building a new computer that's going to run Linux. I think that says it all.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.