PDA

View Full Version : Switcher Engine Low-Poly

Omita
01-29-2002, 12:16 PM
http://www.omita.com/Forums/ut_trianyard04.jpg

I have been working on my game portfolio recently. Comments appreciated. :)

Polycount :: 512 (Triangles)
Texture Map :: Single 512x512
Model created and UV Mapped in :: Lightwave[7b].
Textured in :: DeepPaint3d and Photoshop6.
Final game format :: Q3A MapObject (MapObject)

-Omita

jbrophy
01-29-2002, 07:49 PM
Looking good

Some comments though

1. The main texture of the elongated part of the train seems to not have the same resolution as the back of the train.

2. If you used some more highlights I think it would help pop out some of the sections. Right now they texture seems to exist in the overall midtoans area. Some whits would really help to give the texture more depth I would think

3. Right now the wheel section is very dark. Can't seem to make out any detail there

Good Job

David Lightbown
01-29-2002, 08:11 PM
Great job !

(you get bonus points for using Lighwave too :) )

Could you offer up a version with edges visible so we can see the polygon distribution too ? It's not easy to judge the mesh's density and balance without seeing the polys.

Most of us can't offer up any models we've done because of NDA... :)

Omita
01-30-2002, 12:15 AM
http://www.omita.com/Forums/ut_trianyard03.jpg

I can post some other views if wanted.

jbrophy: The only part of the model where I scaled the UV's significantly was the wheels. The wheels actually have the most detail. I figured that the wheels would be closest to a human size character.

As far as being dark I have to blame my hardware. I created this model on my old Hitachi Monitor... which I purchased in college because it was cheep for a 21". I have realized over time that the colors are really bad and so is the lighting.

The other day I finally purchased 2 new ViewSonic P225f monitors. It wasn't until then that I realized that my skins were rather dark. Thanks for the feedback. It's really appreciated.

-Omita

David Lightbown
01-30-2002, 05:03 PM
Thats good stuff, you're thinking in the right way by having more detail where the character's view is focused, as long as it's balanced with it's surroundings. Have you thought of sparing a few extra polygons to round those wheels a bit more ? If the character is looking there, an extra 32 polys won't cause severe damage to your fill rate, and could go a long way.

The fact that you haven't welded everything is good, most people are scared to just attach pieces to their models because of crappy Z buffers, such as the Playstation 1 which, in my opinion, is one platform where you shouldn't have two objects right next to each other or else you get nasty choppy sawtooth clipping. I thought it was bad in the game we just finished developing, then I saw it in Tomb Raider 4 all over the place and didn't feel so bad :) The PS1 doesn't even have a Z buffer, its got an ordering table, which isn't the greatest... now that we're developing on PS2, I can put objects right next to each other with no problem... its a big polygon saver, without a doubt, but most people who are newer to polygon modeling are scared to do it.

Omita
01-30-2002, 10:16 PM
Actually, I was thinking or making the wheels a little smoother. Instead of using 5 polys for the front of the wheel I am going to use 2 (square) and use a Clip Map. (It was a tip from a friend) Then I can use those extra 24 polys to add some detail to the wheels. I am trying to stick to 512 polys. :) I am also considering making the railing a clipped texture too; instead of having it painted on the model.

I have never actually participated in the production of a 3D game. So all the Low Poly tip and tricks I have picked up are from experimenting and studying games.

-Omita

David Lightbown
01-30-2002, 10:20 PM
Yeah we used the clip map + edge polygons on a racing game we did, it's a good solution as long as the clip map is high rez enough and the camera doesn't get too close... it wouldn't be a great idea if your character can get RIGHT up to the wheels though, it will be obvious that its a clip map... in that case, you're probably better off going with pure polygonal wheels.

Omita
01-30-2002, 10:24 PM
http://www.omita.com/Forums/ut_trianyard02.jpg

The picture above was the model before I started reducing the polycount. Originally I had a lot more detail in the wheels.

Omita
01-30-2002, 11:43 PM
Sites back up... all is better now.

-Omita

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.