PDA

View Full Version : turning off shasows cast on itself?

steelblade
04-10-2004, 04:35 PM
Hiya peeps

ive run into a small pass problem ... is it possible when creating a shadow pass to allow an object to receive shadows from other objects but not cast them on its self....

The scenario... I have created part of a door for which i want shadows to be cast on.. The door handle is CG but the door is footage. I want the shadows from the handle to fall on the part of the foor that has been recreated - however the recreated door is paneled and casts shadows upon itself which ruins the pass.... is ther a way of switching self shadows off??

My shadow pass is created by creating a new pass putting the objects i want to receive shdaows in there own partition and hiding everything else in another partition... the partition with the objects is given a lambert material then a shadow node is attached in the render tree to the material surface node.

any ideas?

cheers in advance

ThE_JacO
04-10-2004, 06:04 PM
if the door is just a dummy object setup to receive shadows only, just turn off shadow rays in its visibility properties.

this will prevent the object from casting any of the rays that normally generate shadows from that object.

should do what you want

steelblade
04-11-2004, 02:50 PM
hey mate thanks for the reply... i see wot your sayin but if i do that the door plate will not receive shadows from the door handle too which wud make the plate useless...... i want the plate to receve the shadows from the handle but not actually cast any shadows on itself.... I have a potential work around by simplifying the shadow plate geometry but it reduces the accuracy of the shadow (from the handle) so isnt that desirable.

Thanks for the info tho

ThE_JacO
04-11-2004, 07:10 PM
did you try it ?
because disabling shadow rays prevent an object ONLY from casting shadows, but it will still receive them, so if the handle and the door are 2 different objects, and you turn shadow rays off for the door only, the door will still receive the handle's shadows just fine.

steelblade
04-11-2004, 10:29 PM
I will try it the next time im workin on that project... gotta get summat else moving too and thanks for that i dunno why i assumed that but ill try it and let u kno the out come

thanks again:buttrock:

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.